Singer Featherweight

Old October 20th 03, 09:07 PM
Bonnie

Default Singer Featherweight

Hi All,
My featherweight arrived this afternoon. Does anyone know
where I can get a booklet for use and care of my machine?
I would like to lubricant and oil the machine before I do
any sewing.
It came with a tube of lubricant. It look like it might
be the original tube! Please help! TIA
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old October 21st 03, 12:32 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Congratulations! I hope you love your FW as much as I love mine! Wish I
knew where you can get a manual, but I don't. I'm sure someone in this
group will have the info.

Have a wonderful time sewing with your new darling!
--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green
If it ain't broke, it ain't mine. Carolyn McCarty

Old October 21st 03, 12:37 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Try he http://www.gpbwebworks.com/fwinfo/
or do a search for Nancy Johnson-Srebro.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old October 21st 03, 01:51 AM
Shstringfellow

I don't know if it is a manual, but Clothilde's has a book called
"Featherweight 221" Here is the link-
http://www.clotilde.com/cl/product_g...&searchterm=fe
atherweight&dept_name=Search+Result%3A+featherweig ht&g_id=407520-2
SueS
Old October 21st 03, 02:29 AM
Betty in Wi

I wouldn't use the old lubricant. You can buy new at any repair shop --
especially those who repair old Singers.

And you will love your new "baby". They are the greatest--and so cute too.

Betty

Old October 21st 03, 03:01 AM
Taria

You can even get the oil and lube at Walmart or Joanne's. The Nancy
Johnson-Srebro book has a manual reprint in it and a lot of other
great info. The featherweight fanatic digest is a place where there
is lots of info.
Happy Stitching! Taria

Old October 21st 03, 07:56 AM
WoodenSpools

Bonnie, the Nancy Johnson-Srebro book on the Featherweight has a reprint of
the manual towards the back of the book - there's an excellent diagram of an
exploded tension assembly; DH has referred to it numerous times when
attending to my various old Singers. Get your Singer oil and lube at
WalMart or JoAnn Fabrics. Lube the gears and oil the metal joints. Clean
out dust and lint build-up and check the wiring carefully for cracks. Open
up the bottom and inpect wiring there, too.
Got my 4th Featherweight about two weeks ago when I took my mother to visit
her first cousin; they are both in their late seventies. Her cousin led me
into her kitchen where she had her mother's FW up on the kitchen table. For
me to bring home. I screamed. She looked shocked. Said her
daughters/granddaughters didn't want it, and it was mine for the taking.
So now, I have my Great Aunt Grace's FW. (And I do have some Aunt Grace
fabric and plan to make something using that machine.)
Just finished boxing up a small quilt to mail out tomorrow as a thank- you
to Mom's cousin for sharing with me.
Lucky and Thankful Buckeye Bev

Old October 21st 03, 02:38 PM
Bonnie

Thanks to all who responded. I just spent one hour visiting
the sites mentioned and have ordered the Nancy Johnson-Srebo
book.
When my featherweight was unwrapped I noticed that the cord
was in terrible shape. I waited until DH gave his approval
to plug in my machine. It was a good thing, he said it
might have started a fire because it had exposed wires. He
repaired the connection and now my machine hums!
Many attachments were included that I have no idea what they
may be. I do recognize a ruffler attachment. I also have 2
items with razor blades incorporated in them, they are
numbered so hopefully I'll be able to find out what they are
when the book arrives.
Thanks for all the helpful info.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old October 21st 03, 02:44 PM
Bonnie

WoodenSpools wrote:

Just finished boxing up a small quilt to mail out tomorrow as a thank- you
to Mom's cousin for sharing with me.
Lucky and Thankful Buckeye Bev

Congratulations! It must be wonderful to have a
machine that has come down through the family.
My sister was the one who received my grandmothers
treadle. Grandmom made some beautiful clothes on
that old machine, plus all my doll's clothes.
I hope that the wonderful memories and thoughts
that accompany your sewing endeavors will only
enhance your sewing!

--
Bonnie
NJ