electric kiln firing questions

Old October 6th 04, 09:32 PM
Zander

Default electric kiln firing questions

Hi all,

When I was first setting up this kiln I got a lot of great advice from this
group. I've been set up for a few months now and have completed 2 firing
cycles (bisque/glaze) however, I still qualify as a complete newbie!

The kiln is an electric cylindrical kiln, 7 cu. ft. I have some firing
schedules for bisque and glaze that were passed on to me. I try to follow
them as best as possible as my kiln (3 zones) has the old lo-med-hi switches
which don't offer a lot of control. I installed a pyrometer which I rely on
heavily to monitor rates of change. I also use the kiln sitter and witness
cones.

My confusion stems mainly from the relationship between the cones/kiln
sitter/ and pyrometer. For example, when bisque firing to cone 04, the
chart states 1940 F at a certain rate for the regular cone. My kiln sitter
is shutting off at 1979 - 1984 which jibes with my witness cones pretty
well. At the point my kiln sitter goes off I check the pyrometer, and
adjust the controls to hold that temperature for 20 minutes. Is this a good
idea? Should I also be holding the temperature when glaze firing for 20
min? Doesn't holding a temperature just equate to over firing?

More questions: I was told to shut down or start holding when a cone is at
3 o'clock, the orton book says 6 o'clock.

I have a lot of ware that would fit with 4inch posts but they don't seem
tall enough in terms of having enough elements showing between the shelves.
Do you guys use 4" posts ever?

The height of the kiln sitter tube and my thermocouple tube constantly
conspire to interfere with my post height / shelf placement etc. On my
first shelf I cannot use 6" posts because the shelf will be at the exact
height of the kiln sitter, so I have to use 8" posts which wastes a lot of
vertical room. 4" posts on the bottom level gave witness cones that were
only at 2 o'clock when the center shelf ones were at 6 o'clock. Can I just
ignore the warning about having a shelf within 1" of the kiln sitter?

I built my ventilation system myself and have never been sure my downdraft
vent is pulling the right amount of air out of the kiln. It's a 4" duct cap
with a 1.25" sq. hole cut into the face of the duct cap. The duct cap is
then screwed to the kiln side with a 1/4" standoff distance, centered over a
3/8" dia. hole drilled through into the kiln. If I hold a match to the
sighte hole on the opposite side of the kiln with the lid closed it pulls
the flame in for sure, until the kiln gets hot. My lid is also warped a
bit, wouldn't this allow enough air to enter the kiln so I could keep the
sight hole closed up? (at the moment I use the site hole as the air intake
for the downdraft vent.)

If you read this far, Thanks!

Kandor

Old October 6th 04, 10:37 PM
Coggo

Kandor,

The relationship between cones and temperature is very vague at best. The
cone is made of ceramic material, and reacts according to the same factors
which mature your work - temperature, time, environment, etc. The pyrometer
only measures ONE of those factors - temperature. You are quite correct in
using the pyrometer as a guide to temp rise only, and the cones as proof of
maturity.

It doesn't matter how accurate a pyrometer is, it will almost NEVER agree
with a cone. I manufacture a digital pyrometer in Australia, and I often
have complaints from customers about this.

You are also correct that soaking equates with additional firing - I think a
20 minute soak may be a bit excessive - 10 minutes would probably be OK for
a kiln that size to equalise - most people don't even bother with a soak as
it is difficult to handle with your type of control system.

I would suggest that you start soaking when the cone is at 3-4 o'clock, and
shut down when it reaches 6 o'clock. That way you avoid overfiring. The
firing is complete when the cone reaches 6 o'clock as specified by Orton.

You can't really overfire bisqueware by soaking, but glazeware might be
affected. How do the glazes look? That is the best indicator of successful
glaze firings - do the colours look OK?

In reality you can use 1" posts - you should get some of these. Get
plenty - they are excellent to have as you can make any size post from 1" to
11" by stacking. The fact that the ware is not exposed to an element does
not usually cause problems, especially since you are using a downdraft
exhaust fan - this causes a good flow of heat through the kiln. It helps to
have all the half shelves at different levels as well, so there is a good
flow - don't have all the half shelves completely closed off at the same
level, which creates many "mini kilns" within the kiln. I would definitely
keep shelves and ware 1" away from the kiln sitter, as it will affect the
cone.

Most people drill 1/4" holes in the lid of the kiln to allow air flow for
the vent fan - in your kiln maybe 6 - 8 holes would be enough. Just space
them evenly around the diameter of the lid - and leave all peep holes
closed. If the lid has a large gap or warps during firing, use some ceramic
fibre sheet to seal the lid.

My website at www.users.bigpond.com/dcoggins has some information on kilns
and firing which may be of interest to you.

Hope this answers all your questions

Dave

Old October 7th 04, 12:30 AM
Zander

Thanks Coggo!

All of your answers are most appreciated. I only have 3 full shelves and 2
half shelves at the moment, maybe investing in some more half shelves is in
order. Regarding 1" posts: I heard or read somewhere that 2 elements
minimum between shelves is a good idea, but if 1" posts between shelves can
be used that would great, even though that would be rare, in reality 3"
posts would probably be average.

For some reason I'm adverse to drilling holes in my lid... not to sure why?
So far I just leave my peep hole open at first (about halfway) then close it
when it gets hotter.

I'm looking at a bartlett v6-cf controller - any experience with this unit?

Thanks for the web link!

Old October 7th 04, 01:54 AM
Coggo

Zander,

Glad to help.

I can understand having one element showing between shelves for direct
radiation, but not two - seems a bit over the top. However, since you are
venting, convection tends to replace radiation as the main method of heat
transmission anyway.

You will find half shelves are far more useful than full shelves, and much
easier to handle as well!

Most kiln manufacturers drill holes in their lids for kiln venting, and
Orton recommend it for installing their kiln vent. Have a look at
http://www.ortonceramic.com/faq_show.asp?Key=9&CatID=2

The site www.ortonceramic.com contains a lot of good stuff if you haven't
browsed around there before.

Sorry, I have no experience with that controller at all in Australia. You
might like to contact my good friend Tony Rodriguez, a kiln technician in
San Antonio, at
GSM_ENT (uppercase 2) msn.com - he may have some direct experience with it.

Regards

Dave

. ..

Old October 9th 04, 04:13 PM
sarah

My website at www.users.bigpond.com/dcoggins has some information on kilns
and firing which may be of interest to you.

Have just looked at your website - thanks for so much useful
information, I have recently acquired an electric kiln and none of the
books or manuals I've read are as straightforward and helpful as your
site - THANKS!!

Deborah
Old October 11th 04, 02:31 AM
Coggo

Glad you found it useful

Dave

"sarah" wrote in message
om...
My website at www.users.bigpond.com/dcoggins has some information on
kilns
and firing which may be of interest to you.

Have just looked at your website - thanks for so much useful
information, I have recently acquired an electric kiln and none of the
books or manuals I've read are as straightforward and helpful as your
site - THANKS!!

Deborah

FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
F/A @ EBAY Electric Kiln BATMAN.ROBIN Marketplace 0 September 17th 03 10:51 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM