help with finding discount on baby blanket poly binding for charity

Old October 31st 03, 11:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

i volunteered to embroider 16 baby blankets for a local charity--i
supply everything needed. got the fleece & embroidery supplies, no
problem..but the binding is SO expensive, comparatively speaking. can
anyone order wholesale or recommend a way i can buy this stuff by the
yard?

Will the standard ol' lycra binding used on jackets and such do? The stuff
that comes about 1.5" wide? If so, talk to the folks at Rose City Textiles
1-800-rct-5666 -- I'd suggest talking to Annette at extension 111, the
retail store, and explaining what you're up to and how much you need.

I have, in the past, gotten entire rolls of lycra binding there for
$5-10, but I don't know what their stock is at the moment (they
buy overages). (I think a roll is about 100 yards, but check.)

Also, about a week ago, they had some really nice Malden Mills fleece
flat folds for $5/yd, in maybe 5/8 - 1 3/4 yd lengths, 96" wide. Good
solid baby colors mostly.

Another solution is to cut your own bindings of lycra swimming suit fabric.
This is pretty easy with a rotary cutter and a spare set of hands. Got
any quilters in your group who might be persuaded to cut the binding for you?

Kay Lancaster

Old November 2nd 03, 05:08 AM
Polly Esther

A wonderful solution. Why didn't I think of that? The prepackaged blanket
binding always seems so cheap - until you go to pay for it. It just never
crossed my mind that I could make it myself and that there was no need for a
bias struggle. Thank you, Sew-Sew. Polly Esther