newbe question about clay safety

Old October 8th 03, 06:45 AM
Deb :>

Default newbe question about clay safety

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new at working with polymer clay and am quickly getting
addicted. I am also a scrapbooker and would like to make some clay
items to put in my scrapbooks, but am not sure whether it's a good idea or
not. Does anyone know if cured polymer clay is safe to use with my photos
(acid free/won't hurt the pictures)? What about if I use a glaze on the
pieces (Sculpey glaze or Flecto Varithane)? Does anyone know if these
glazes are acid free or safe to use with pictures? Any info. would be
appreciated. Thanks!

Debra
Old October 8th 03, 04:08 PM
Sjpolyclay

Does anyone know if cured polymer clay is safe to use with my photos
(acid free/won't hurt the pictures)? What about if I use a glaze on the
pieces (Sculpey glaze or Flecto Varithane)?

Hi there Debra and welcome!
I have used baked polymer to make small frames for pictures and nothing has
happened to the pictures yet. Also have used it to make ornaments with kids
photos in the center--those are at least 6 years old and no problems. Did you
know polaroids can be baked right onto clay!? I have also used Flecto on top of
photos and there is no problem yet---who knows about long term archival use,
though? No one's been doing this for 50-100 years yet. Flecto does have a UV
protectant and does not yellow....sorry I can't be of more help, but hey, its a
start!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Polymer Clay Question Marissa Undercofler Beads 11 October 26th 04 07:54 AM
clay tumbling question Carla Beads 1 August 29th 04 02:23 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM
Polymer Clay Question Diana Curtis Beads 1 September 3rd 03 12:09 AM