FMQ with Sulky Blendable

Old October 18th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TinaR

Default FMQ with Sulky Blendable

I tried free motion quilting with Sulky Blendables - which is 30
weight. The bobbin was Mettler Metrosene, I don't know what the weight
of that is.

The thread broke every 4 inches or so, shredded at the needle. I am
using the special fmq foot and bobbin case for the Janome 6600, and a
90/14 needle. Tried
different needles, (100) and that made no difference.

I changed the top thread to a 40-wt sulky rayon, and had no problem.

I had no problem doing the straight quilting with the Blendable and
this bobbin thread.

Has anyone used this thread for FMQ? If so, what did you use in the
bobbin? I usually use regular bobbin thread, have not tried that yet
but am going to today.

Old October 18th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Haven't tried that thread, but what kind of needle was it? Sometimes
you can improve the odds with e.g. a Microtex Sharp, or a jeans
needle, or the purple band quilting needle. My current most-favorite
needle is the titanium-coated embroidery needle.
Roberta in D

Old October 18th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Try to have 'at hand' some topstitch needles.
They handle awkward threads very well, as they have a larger eye and a
groove as well, so shredding is minimised.

I think Leslie has used the thicker thread?
..
In message
,
TinaR writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 18th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

I usually use a 90/14 embroidery needle. It has a slightly larger eye,
therefore less wear on the thread. I have use the sulky blendables many
times, without problems.

--
Susan
http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston

Old October 18th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_5_]

I've used it and I love it... have gone through several spools
already, on three different Viking machines, and have not had any
problems at all using either 'regular' weight thread, bobbin thread,
or the NEB on pre wounds.

I have a couple of different feet for FMing on my Viking D1, and the
Rose and 1+ machines both have a spring action foot.

I use a Schmetz quilting needle - maybe try that or a microtex needle?
I haven't had any problems with the thread - one of the reasons I like
it so much, that and how pretty it looks.

-Irene

Old October 18th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TinaR

I did try a top stitch needle, that was my first thought. I will try
MORE different needles.

I still haven't heard what you guys are using for bobbin thread.....
Old October 18th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I have used the 15 wt. Sulky with an 18 needle as well as the 30 wt. with a
smaller needle. I also endorse the size 14-16 topstitching needles for the
heavier threads- but your needle can be too large, as well- so try different
needle sizes as well as types. My 6600 has never refused any thread- as
long as I use the proper needle.

Try a 50 wt. cotton for the bobbin and vary your speed to movement of the
sandwich ratio- sometimes sewing too fast can make the thread shred, too.
That's why we always quilt practice pieces for warm ups! VBG It checks
the needle/thread/bobbin/tension combination for us. And there's always the
old stand-bys..... re-thread top and bobbin and clean the machine carefully.
If that doesn't help, put the presser foot down and loosen the top tension
just a bit- altho I seldom mess with my tensions except for invisible
thread. If that doesn't do it then try tightening the top tension- if your
top tension is too loose, then the thicker 30 wt. thread would have to
travel all the way thru the quilt sandwich instead of meeting the bobbin
thread halfway and that could make it more difficult for the machine to form
your stitches.... and cause the shredding. But I try to always use the
different needles and use tension adjustments as a last resort- I know how
but why mess with the tension if a different needle will do the trick?
;-)Good luck!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Patti" wrote in message
Try to have 'at hand' some topstitch needles.
They handle awkward threads very well, as they have a larger eye and a
groove as well, so shredding is minimised.

I think Leslie has used the thicker thread?
.
In message
, TinaR
writes

Old October 18th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

You might also try running a fine bead of that silicone stuff that Dritz
makes. Just put a tiny bit on your spool of thread as often as needed;
works a charm for me. Polly

Old October 18th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Or try a topstitching needle. G Much larger eye and groove in the
front of the needle to protect the thread. Topstitching needles are also
sharps, not universals (unless labeled as a ball point/knit one).

Another thing to try when using a heavier thread-- loosen the tension a
bit.
BTW, Mettler Metrosene is an "all purpose" polyester thread, generally
about a 50 weight.

Good luck with it,
Pati, in Phx

Old October 18th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lenore L

I use large eyed needles--metallic or top stitching. That always helps too.

Let us know what works.