thin crust of glaze

Old November 4th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Joanna

Default thin crust of glaze

Hello everyone,

I have small question about glazing and glazes. The problem is as follows:

I've bought recently an excellent glaze (Botz from Germany), it's really
good, it made some thin crust on the surface and the glaze stick really hard
and not peel off during touching and moving to the kiln.
I have another glaze that has beautiful color but is completely awful to
work with it because of its looseness. It is like a powder and peel off
during the slightness touch.
Now I use a hair spray - it is good solution but it is not environment
friendly way to deal with this problem. I wonder can I add something to my
glaze to improve its feature, some flour, some honey, maybe a sugar? Maybe
instead of spraying should wet my stuff in some varnish ?

Would someone be so kind and help me? I would be grateful for any
suggestion.

greeting from Poland, Europe
Joanna

Old November 5th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
yambulo

"Joanna" escribió en el mensaje

I wonder can I add something to my glaze to improve its feature, some
flour, some honey, maybe a sugar? Maybe instead of spraying should wet my
stuff in some varnish ?

carpenter´s wood glue

Old November 6th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Joanna

Użytkownik "yambulo" napisał w wiadomości
reenews.net...

"Joanna" escribió en el mensaje

I wonder can I add something to my glaze to improve its feature, some
flour, some honey, maybe a sugar? Maybe instead of spraying should wet my
stuff in some varnish ?

carpenter´s wood glue

tkank you very much. I'v just loaded kiln but I am going to glaze another
part of my beads in a few day time so I certainly try this carpenter's wood
glue.

joanna

Old November 14th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Tom

No, not glue..... Put about 2-3% bentonite in the glaze to help it adhere
better. It will also help to keep it from settling out.

Old November 14th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

I know assume makes an ass of you and me but I just assumed this person was
using premixed glazes from the way they stated it. I think adding the
bentonite in that case would be rather difficult to add (especially if it is
small jars of glaze)..

Old November 14th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Joanna

Użytkownik "DKat" napisał w wiadomości
I know assume makes an ass of you and me but I just assumed this person was
using premixed glazes from the way they stated it. I think adding the
bentonite in that case would be rather difficult to add (especially if it
is small jars of glaze)..

I buy a glaze as a powder then I mix it with water. I've made a small try
with glue (one bead) and glaze looks better. A day after tomorrow I'm
openning a kiln so I'll watch a final effect.
I was thinking about this bentonite but I don't know where I can get it
(I've read that grit for cats is a bentonite -it is true?). I assume that I
should crash it and add to powder glaze before I mix it with water??

Thanks for your response!
joanna

Old November 15th 07, 09:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Joanna

I should say also that this super, exellent premixed glaze (Botz that I
mention) has inside some oily substans (instead of water). You know, when a
not-using glaze stratify. So it would be great add something similar to my
not premixed glazes.

joanna

Old November 16th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

I don't know about kitty litter being bentonite (and I would certainly not
use litter that has odor control added). You should be able to get the
bentonite from the same company you get your glaze from. It is very
inexpensive and you are not going to need a lot. You may only need to add
1-2% of it to the glaze (if your glaze weighs 100gms use 1-2 grams of
bentonite). You add it to the water and you let it dissolve before you add
the other ingredients. If you decide to use kitty litter, you should not
have to crush it up but you do need to let it dissolve in the water before
adding your other ingredients. You don't want too much or you will change
what your glaze looks like. I would certainly run a test on this before
doing a entire batch of glaze. Donna

Old November 16th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
charlie

"Joanna" wrote in message

Użytkownik "DKat" napisał w wiadomości
I know assume makes an ass of you and me but I just assumed this person
was using premixed glazes from the way they stated it. I think adding
the bentonite in that case would be rather difficult to add (especially
if it is small jars of glaze)..

I buy a glaze as a powder then I mix it with water. I've made a small try
with glue (one bead) and glaze looks better. A day after tomorrow I'm
openning a kiln so I'll watch a final effect.
I was thinking about this bentonite but I don't know where I can get it
(I've read that grit for cats is a bentonite -it is true?). I assume that
I should crash it and add to powder glaze before I mix it with water??

Thanks for your response!
joanna

according to this

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/8217kitty.html

clumping cat litter is sodium bentonite.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

OT - Gwen's pie crust recipe David Sky Yarn 22 September 30th 05 02:22 PM
Thin leather Pat EAXStitch Needlework 2 February 12th 05 08:27 PM
Melody Crust Workshops shhdesigns Quilting 3 February 6th 05 06:09 PM
OT looking for No crust apple pie Dawn Cherni Needlework 16 December 25th 04 03:46 AM
thin clay... Bead Sprite Polymer Clay 8 October 2nd 03 02:37 PM