Bubbly update

Old October 17th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

Default Bubbly update

Hi guys

I had some SERIOUS bubbles from the kiln opened yesterday, so today I took
the worst piece with me to my dealer (in both senses of the word! LOL!) and
picked his brains a bit more.

I fired to 1250 with 2 holes open throughout due to some crystaline glaze I
am also trying to get to work. Too many things going on at once is kinda
standard around here! LOL!

Anyway, it was quite cool outside that night, and I always have the laundry
room window open when firing. So - I have this theory that it might not
actually be the heat work, but too fast cooling that is the problem? I can't
controll the cooling at all with the computer I now have on my kiln. I guess
I would have to kind of catch it after the hold time and set a new burn
program that kind of slows the cooling at the highest temps. I could figure
out somewhere to let it sit for a little - eg. the lowest firing temp cited
on the glazes. I don't have time to do that on my next glaze kiln, though,
because I am short of time to get a few things finished as gifts for the
people I go to visit on Monday! Next time, though.

I have also started numbering my pieces, so that I can track which clay I
used, which firing and so forth. Made it a lot easier to explain the problem
to my dealer as well.

Oh - and that cool lidded garlic I made? Don't you think it cracked in the
bottom??? Not an issue for use, really, though, as it even has holes for
airing the garlic - but water-tight it ain't! Hehe!

Have a great day, guys - and thanks for letting me vent!

Marianne

Old October 18th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Marianne, every time I think of this I keep coming back to you having your
peep holes open (and I'm fairly certain that is what you have open if there
are 3 of them, they are on the side and they have plugs that go in them).
If you are having as long a soak as you say, and there isn't an issue of the
glazes being on too thick or bad glazes to begin with then you really are
left with the kiln getting cold spots from the peepholes being open.
Bubbling doesn't happen when the glaze is cooling off. It happens when the
glaze is melting and gases in the glaze are being released. The soak at top
temperature allows for the heat to be evenly distributed and for the melt to
even out (bubbles to mend). If this isn't happening, then I can only think
that the cold draft from the peeps is 'freezing' the glaze before it can
settle.

Sorry but I seem to now be fixated on this.

Donna

Old October 19th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message
Marianne, every time I think of this I keep coming back to you having your
peep holes open (and I'm fairly certain that is what you have open if
there are 3 of them, they are on the side and they have plugs that go in
them). If you are having as long a soak as you say, and there isn't an
issue of the glazes being on too thick or bad glazes to begin with then
you really are left with the kiln getting cold spots from the peepholes
being open. Bubbling doesn't happen when the glaze is cooling off. It
happens when the glaze is melting and gases in the glaze are being
released. The soak at top temperature allows for the heat to be evenly
distributed and for the melt to even out (bubbles to mend). If this isn't
happening, then I can only think that the cold draft from the peeps is
'freezing' the glaze before it can settle.

Donna

These are not peep-holes, they are airing holes and their use has been
explained to me many times (regarding different glazes and their firing) by
my dealer - who also refurbished and sold me that kiln. I hope that's clear.

Leaving the holes open for the whole firing was a one-time event that
probably was the reason for the bubbling on many of the pieces - as the room
temperature was from 17-24 C, so the air being let in was too cold.

Normally, I leave the hole at the bottom and the hole in the lid open until
650 C and then close them until the kiln has cooled to 200-250 C - at which
time I may open them to let the kiln cool a little faster, as it takes hours
and hours for the last 200 if I don't. From an old American potter, I
learned the smart rule that nothing is ready to come out of the kiln until I
can hold it with my bare hands. Patience is hard, but smart.

The long hold temperature was an experiment to see if it would help. It
didn't help much, so I am back to 20-30 minutes. My teacher also uses these
glazes, and I am on my way over to her in a few minutes to take a look at
her firing curve, as I may be using her old one. She does not have many
bubble problems any more. Will be interesting to see what her curve is.
BUT - her students usually glaze with less experimentation than I do - and
probably thinner as well, so her curve might only bring me closer to a
sollution to my most difficult glazes (the ones with the beautifier).

I am on the way to getting a new controller that will let me also controll
the cooling process. I hope and pray that that will let the glazes go from
boiling to liquid without leaving bubbles/pock marks. In the mean time, I am
staying away from the beautifier and trying combinations of matte glazes
instead. The more glossy a glaze is, the more chance of it bubbling. So I
will wait a few weeks until I can have more control.

I hope this sets your mind to rest.

I have also been thinking about why Americans can not do without cones, and
I wonder if Europeans "simply" use glazes that are more geared to top
temperature than to heat work in total. In any case, hubby has suggested
that I add the weight of what I put into the kiln onto my kiln log - thus
knowing what mass is in the kiln each time and getting an even better handle
on which firings work for which glazes, etc

I'm in a stress getting stuff finished to fire so I can take it with me on
Monday, so not sure when I will stop by here again..

Keep smiling :-)

Marianne

Old October 22nd 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message
These are not peep-holes, they are airing holes and their use has been
explained to me many times (regarding different glazes and their firing)
by my dealer - who also refurbished and sold me that kiln. I hope that's
clear.
Keep smiling :-)

Marianne

Well I never cease to be amaze on how many things I don't know. This is yet
another new one to me. Donna

AD & UPDATE: I've missed you all...(Update on me & new beads) Paulette Insall Beads 7 July 13th 06 06:09 PM
AD: Bubbly Byzantine Charlie Beads 1 November 7th 04 09:44 PM
AD - Bubbly Byzantine (again!) Charlie Beads 4 November 2nd 04 08:29 PM
AD: 99p Bubbly Byzantine Bracelet! Charlie Beads 0 October 3rd 04 10:23 AM
Nother Update OT Update on Karlee Sjpolyclay Beads 0 August 31st 03 02:04 AM