Really Big chunks of agate

Old September 20th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Seigfried

Default Really Big chunks of agate

My dad was a rockhound all his life. There are now some REALLY BIG
chunks of nice solid agate in his yard that I don't know what to do
with. (The biggest just barely fit into the bed of a truck and
compressed the springs right to the axle.) And there are a number of
other pieces too.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do with these rocks?

Old September 20th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C Ryman

mmmm, decorate your yard, make a really heavy coffee table, whack it into
smaller pieces and sell them..

--
CR

Old September 21st 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

C Ryman wrote:
mmmm, decorate your yard, make a really heavy coffee table, whack it into
smaller pieces and sell them..

I live in a stone quarrying area and we have some big diamond saws not
far from me.
If I had what you say you have you could be sitting on some thing
quite valuable
you wont know till its been sliced up into 2in thick slabs.
So to maximiseyour gain you need to find a monumental mason or stone
slicer within economic distance from you, slice it up and have one side
polished. then you willl have some fabulous coffee table tops worth a lot.
If you can put it on a pallett and get UPS to deliver it to me ill
organise it all for you and we go half in any costs and profits.
I can see it on nice solid stainless steel wrought frames.
Mind you it could be quite useless once you look inside it.
By the way im in the UK.

Old September 21st 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jim

If you have a local gem and/or laipdary club, a donation might be in
order. Just specify that THEY must provide for ransportation, etc...

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:56:38 -0700, Seigfried
discovered a keyboard and, for our edification and amusement,
submitted

My dad was a rockhound all his life. There are now some REALLY BIG
chunks of nice solid agate in his yard that I don't know what to do
with. (The biggest just barely fit into the bed of a truck and
compressed the springs right to the axle.) And there are a number of
other pieces too.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do with these rocks?

Blessed be, for sure...
Old September 21st 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
robynahawk

On Sep 19, 5:56 pm, Seigfried wrote:
My dad was a rockhound all his life. There are now some REALLY BIG
chunks of nice solid agate in his yard that I don't know what to do
with. (The biggest just barely fit into the bed of a truck and
compressed the springs right to the axle.) And there are a number of
other pieces too.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do with these rocks?

Contact your local Rock & Mineral Club - or donate them to the Geology
Dept of your local University or a Natural History Museum for use on
their grounds.

Go to: http://www.amfed.com click Club Sites and search for your
State - this will give you a list of Rock & Mieral Groups in your
area.

Robyn Hawk
Jewelry & Gem Artists at: http://jewelrygemartisans.blogspot.com/
Fly On The Wall - Views/Reviews at: http://aflyonthewall.multiply.com/
Lapidary & Metal Arts on EONS at:
http://community.eons.com/groups/gro...amp-metal-arts

"Fear not the path of truth for the lack of people walking on it."
Arabic Proverb

Old September 24th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Seigfried

Thanks to all who posted.

First, I know good agate from bad agate. My dad was a founding member
of the paleontology museum sponsored by our local college and donated
a dinosaur leg bone that was gem quality spider web agate through and
through. We've got a lot of that too. And the museum doesn't want
this. It's not a fossil. (The city government has approached us about
it to decorate a park, however. That might be what we end up doing.)

This one is ... ummm ... "fair" agate. It doesn't have the fine
details that would make good small jewelery pieces, but it could be
worked up into good looking larger pieces like spheres and bookends.
It would be a shame to destroy something like this just for pieces
that don't need this massive scale.

Old September 26th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Frosty

In rec.crafts.jewelry almost on Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:56:38 -0700 a
smoke signal from Seigfried rang out, which was
heard to say :

My dad was a rockhound all his life. There are now some REALLY BIG
chunks of nice solid agate in his yard that I don't know what to do
with. (The biggest just barely fit into the bed of a truck and
compressed the springs right to the axle.) And there are a number of
other pieces too.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do with these rocks?.

Make some really huge cabs and set 'em in really huge belt buckles.

Old March 12th 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C Ryman

Hi Delvia,
This thread is sort of old. But since you posted I have a question.
I want to melt a small amount of DOP wax and don't want to buy the machine.
Does anyone know of a simple easy way to do this? Would a coffee cup warmer
get hot enough? Or perhaps a candle?

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

"Delvia Logan" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

My dad was a rockhound all his life. There are now some REALLY BIG
chunks of nice solid agate in his yard that I don't know what to do
with. (The biggest just barely fit into the bed of a truck and
compressed the springs right to the axle.) And there are a number of
other pieces too.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do with these rocks?

I do lapidary work and quality agate can make some great coasters (once
the
rock is sliced), and even the poor quality of rock can be some great
designs.
It is nice to have some sandstone type of materials in the agate to make
the
coaster more efficient. This is one way to make the poorer stones useful.

Good agate can make beautiful polished jewelry whether it is traditional
or
abstract. I prefer the abstract style overall.

I love the idea of having the rocks in your yard and I would love to have
some
large stones at my house. There are lapidary enthusiatists who probably
would
be happy to pick up the rocks and work on them with you getting some of
their
projects.

If you have purple or lavender agate, then sell it because it is difficult
find, and fun to work with.

Delvia Logan

Old March 12th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Fred Zweig

Connie,

A cigarette lighter will work fine to melt the dop wax for mounting a
stone onto a stick to polish. The candle will also work and will most
likely also deposit a bit of soot onto the wax as well.

Fred