WD40

Old May 22nd 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default WD40

I remember a discussion on what to use in place of WD40 (as a lubricant for
motor and mechanical parts not for mold release) and I can't fine it in a
search. Does anyone remember this? Donna

Old May 23rd 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elderberry Blossom

3 in 1 oil? same thing but not a spray.

Old May 23rd 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

That doesn't ring a bell. This discussing was along the lines of WD40 being
really bad for you and not all that good to boot. If 3in1 is the same, does
it also have the bad ingredients - just not in aerosol form?

Did I really type fine instead of find? Another good typo to add to the
collection. The problem is that it fits into too many categories...

Donna

. ..

Old May 23rd 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
charlie

"DKat" wrote in message
I remember a discussion on what to use in place of WD40 (as a lubricant for
motor and mechanical parts not for mold release) and I can't fine it in a
search. Does anyone remember this? Donna

wd40 is a terrible lubricant.

Old May 23rd 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
StT

charlie wrote:
"DKat" wrote in message
I remember a discussion on what to use in place of WD40 (as a lubricant for
motor and mechanical parts not for mold release) and I can't fine it in a
search. Does anyone remember this? Donna

wd40 is a terrible lubricant.

At least in part because it isn't designed to be a lubricant. It's a
solvent and a water-displacer.
--
Spunky the Tuna
been using WD40 since it was WD12...
Old May 24th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Red Deer

On May 23, 10:45 am, StT wrote:
charlie wrote:
"DKat" wrote in message
I remember a discussion on what to use in place of WD40 (as a lubricant for
motor and mechanical parts not for mold release) and I can't fine it in a
search. Does anyone remember this? Donna

wd40 is a terrible lubricant.

At least in part because it isn't designed to be a lubricant. It's a
solvent and a water-displacer.
--
Spunky the Tuna
been using WD40 since it was WD12...

I use W D 40 in my extruder every time I clean it out. I didn't know
it is bad stuff.But it makes my extruder work real smooth. I only
have a small, caulking gun type extruder.
Sandi

Old May 25th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Tmo

I was told by a bike mechanic that WD-40 is not good as a lubricant
and was told to use machine oil (like 3-in-1) for the gears of my
bike. As an earlier poster said, WD-40 is a not really a lubricant
(WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement, 40th attempt" *). As a water
displacer it is probably good at preventing rust on metal (which would
make gears run smoothly). Although it does contain some mineral oil,
it is 50% solvant.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Old May 25th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
David Coggins[_2_]

Yes, WD-40 and similar products are reported to be mainly kerosene/paraffin
oil (depending where you are), which is an excellent clay lubricant. A
potter here (in Australia) made mountains of big flower pots on throwing
machines he designed himself, and he used kerosene as the lubricant to stop
the clay sticking to the steel dies. Kerosene doesn't seem to harm the clay
at all - because it is a hydrocarbon, it is burned off during firing anyway.

Dave

"Red Deer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old May 26th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
steve [email protected]

outboard motor shops use a spray can of some material that is GREAT
for lubricant! lower crank case winterizing spray or something. i
refurbished an old kiln door & wheels with that stuff & it rolled
freely for years after! drop into a marine store to see that stuff if
you need a great lurbicant spray.

see ya

steve

On May 25, 3:57 pm, "David Coggins" wrote:
Yes, WD-40 and similar products are reported to be mainly kerosene/paraffin
oil (depending where you are), which is an excellent clay lubricant. A
potter here (in Australia) made mountains of big flower pots on throwing
machines he designed himself, and he used kerosene as the lubricant to stop
the clay sticking to the steel dies. Kerosene doesn't seem to harm the clay
at all - because it is a hydrocarbon, it is burned off during firing anyway.

Dave

"Red Deer" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 23, 10:45 am, StT wrote:
charlie wrote:
"DKat" wrote in message
I remember a discussion on what to use in place of WD40 (as a
lubricant for
motor and mechanical parts not for mold release) and I can't fine it
in a
search. Does anyone remember this? Donna

wd40 is a terrible lubricant.

At least in part because it isn't designed to be a lubricant. It's a
solvent and a water-displacer.
--
Spunky the Tuna
been using WD40 since it was WD12...

I use W D 40 in my extruder every time I clean it out. I didn't know
it is bad stuff.But it makes my extruder work real smooth. I only
have a small, caulking gun type extruder.
Sandi- Hide quoted text -