Level rims

Old March 17th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Mel Owen

Default Level rims

Please, I'm a real novice with a newly purchased wheel. I now can make a
whole in the center of a 2lb. lump of clay. I cannot get a level lip(rim)
on my mugs and bowls. What am I doing wrong? I'm going for a 3 week course
in June and I don't want to be such a complete novice when I get there.

Old March 17th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Eddie Daughton

Mel Owen wrote:
Please, I'm a real novice with a newly purchased wheel. I now can make a
whole in the center of a 2lb. lump of clay. I cannot get a level lip(rim)
on my mugs and bowls. What am I doing wrong? I'm going for a 3 week course
in June and I don't want to be such a complete novice when I get there.

Hi
It's all down to the centreing of the clay (that bit in "Ghost" with the
clay? it's not just for fun, but what we do to get the clay centred on
the wheel, and get it to form a sort of spiral within the lump so that
it becomes a pot easier... Learning to centre is best done from
somebody, who can show you where you are going wrong.. If not at the
class then find a thrower to show you... By the way, we were ALL
complete novices once, it's nowt to be ashamed of....
Hugs and Luck
Eddie
Old March 17th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Do you have a needling tool? If not take a large needle, grind down the tip
a bit so you don't stab yourself, stick that eye end into a wine cork (use
pliers) and this will be your needling tool. Even experienced potters will
trim up a bad rim.

Everything about working on the wheel is keeping yourself steady. Have you
ever seen a painter use a ruler to rest their brush against so they can keep
steady? You need to use your body (keep your elbows tucked in, your arms
close to your sides) as the means of keeping your self steady. Think of
yourself as a lathe (later when you have developed the needed muscles and
skills you will want to loosen up). Now with the wheel turning not fast but
not too, too slow, you will have a finger resting on the inside of the lip
of your pot (the position it would be in if you were pulling). You will
then take the needling tool and slowly and steadily cut into the clay at the
lip, until you touch your finger, at which point you will lift this cut ring
of clay off of the remaining piece. You are only going to go as low as
where the low point in the rim is (well - a little below so that you can
easily take of the uneven rim. Now take your chamois and compress the new
rim.

One of the things that I think many people miss when they are centering is
that you have to have a very soft touch to finish off that brute force of
pushing the clay to center. If nothing else, this very soft touch will tell
you if you are centered or not.

If you have centered your clay properly before opening it and you have
opened it on center then your walls will be the same thickness. You can do
more pulling and your rim should remain even. If however either your inner
or your outer wall are not on center then when you do your next pull your
rim will again be uneven. If this is the case, recycle the piece.

Don't be greedy about your pieces. Slice them down the center to look and
see what your walls look like. And for heavens sake don't keep a bad piece
just because you have invested an hour trying to make it. Think of it as an
exercise in learning not as a possession. You can easily wedge your clay
back up again and you will learn much quicker this way. The kid that is
willing to fall down learns much quicker than the one that will only take
steps that are perfect. As Eddie said, we were all newbies once and just
like walking, once you learn it you don't even think about having gotten
there in 9 months or 2 years - Walking is walking.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of your class.

Donna

Old March 18th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Mel Owen

Thank you for your help! I promised myself to spend all next week
'centering' and then try a pot.
Mel

Old March 21st 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Red Deer

On Mar 19, 9:26 pm, Rob Morley wrote:
In article , Mel Owen
says...

Thank you for your help! I promised myself to spend all next week
'centering' and then try a pot.

That sounds really tedious - try lots of pots, and learn from each one.

Here is what I learned from experience---make sure your wheel is
level. When I first got my wheel, my pots were always uneven then
when I put a level on the wheel head and saw how far off center the
bubble in the level was, I started putting shims under the legs of the
wheel til it was level. I think the fault lies with my uneven floor
but anyway that solved my problem. I hope this helps.
Sandi

Old March 23rd 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
WJ Seidl

There is something else that most of the posts in the thread have not
addressed.
Each time you pull up your wall, take a moment and put your index finger
along the top, horizontally,
with the index and second finger of your other hand on either side,
supporting the wall, in sort of a pinch.
All three fingers will then form an "arch" over the wall of the cylinder.
(More experienced potters sometimes use just two fingers, like an upside
down "V" to do the same thing,
while supporting the wall on the outside with their other hand. Either way
works well.)
I use a piece of chamois or cloth when I get the mind to...whatever you find
easiest.
Once you have the arch (however you decide to do it), press down _slightly_
to compress the rim.
Compressing the rim each time you pull up is one sure way to make the rim
level.
And it strengthens the rim as well.
Best,
Wayne Seidl

Old April 6th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

All good advice I see.
One thing I would add, is being extra careful when you approach the
top of the pot. As in move your hands away slowly, and very
carefully.
I am teaching beginners, and they all do the same thing, the carefully
bring up their walls, then just get all willy nilly once the get to
the rim, they will tend to do crazy flourishes as if saying " Viola, I
did it", then they mess up the rim.
And also someone mentioned the horizontal index finger, arch thing,
yes, yes, yes, this will help immensely. And, pinning off is also not
a crime.
Please remember, this is not easy, it takes trial, and lots of errors
to get even remotely good at throwing, it doesn't happen over night.
But, the day you throw that "perfect" pot, will be a very great day,
and I'm sure it will happen for ya, just be patient, patience is the
key.
Good luck!
Sa

Old May 31st 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"WJ Seidl" wrote in message
There is something else that most of the posts in the thread have not
addressed.
Each time you pull up your wall, take a moment and put your index finger
along the top, horizontally,
with the index and second finger of your other hand on either side,
supporting the wall, in sort of a pinch.
All three fingers will then form an "arch" over the wall of the cylinder.
(More experienced potters sometimes use just two fingers, like an upside
down "V" to do the same thing,
while supporting the wall on the outside with their other hand. Either
way works well.)

-snip-

I find that laying my index and long finger on each side and then pressing
that V down and at the same time pushing the fingers together a bit to
stabilize the side helps to get the edge very nice and level. I do sometimes
have to cut off the top in any case, though, if I have made a big mistake
with centering or bumped it. But the V (tipped to me by someone on here) is
a very nice method for me.

Marianne

laser level Betty in Wi Quilting 7 December 27th 05 07:41 AM
laser level DrQuilter Quilting 0 December 26th 05 05:31 PM
qwyzzle level 45 KI Graham Quilting 3 December 11th 05 02:45 AM
Moving to the next level Kathy N-V Beads 31 December 31st 04 09:06 PM
bowl rims sandi Pottery 2 March 30th 04 10:02 PM