Figure Four Bend Announcement

Old May 23rd 04, 04:17 AM
O J

Default Figure Four Bend Announcement

Figure Four Bend Announcement.txt

Hi All,

This is a text file that will be crossposted to both
rec.crafts.knots and to alt.binaries. In alt.binaries, it will have
the scans of the knot attached. That is why there are tying
instructions in this file. I've updated the scans to include text on
tying the knots with the scan, but the text in this article may assist
you in grasping the method of tying the knot.

I have announced this knot here before, but am doing so again to
coincide with a general posting of all my knots to alt.binaries. The
scans of this knot on alt.binaries are some newer, smaller, and
updated versions of the ones on Peter Suber's web site
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/knotgrfx/gallery.htm. If your
news server does not get binary groups, let me know by e-mail and I'll
send you a package with all the knots.

I've "rediscovered" (one supposes) this knot that I think will
prove most valuable. At any rate, I have not seen it in any of my
references, though they do not include the book on symmetrical bends.
This knot is, I believe, one of the strongest bends that can be untied
by hand after the rope has been stressed to the breaking point. The
knot is composed of two interlinked figure eights with only the two
outer loops interconnected. In destructive testing, a Hunter's bend
always failed, when tied in series with what I call a 'Figure Four'
bend (half of a figure eight bend). After the Hunter's bend failed,
the Figure Four was capable of being untied by hand. It's as easy to
untie as a Zeppelin Bend, but much stronger.

Start by tying a figure eight knot in the left-hand rope with the
end pointing down or away from you. Then feed the right-hand end down
and through the outermost loop of the left-hand figure eight, passing
around the left-hand end 'B' as in fig. 1. Complete the right-hand
figure eight as shown by passing end 'A' over end 'B', under 'C',
around and through the center loops from below. Ends 'A' and 'B' will
then pass through the center loops in opposite directions as in fig.
2. Tighten and dress the knot and the result will be the finished knot
as shown in fig. 3.

Regards,
O J Gritmon

Fisherman's Bend, or Anchor Bend, Online Tutorial Using Flash Video Knots-lover Knots 2 February 16th 04 05:35 PM
The Strongest Bend That Can Be Untied By Hand O J Knots 22 January 16th 04 08:00 AM
"Bowline Figure Six" Alan Folsom Knots 1 October 5th 03 07:49 PM
Buzz Board Forums: knut friction hitch, zepplin bend Brian Grimley Knots 0 September 3rd 03 03:30 PM
OT Can you figure out this Bizarro game? CLP Beads 10 August 23rd 03 01:11 PM