Reno

Old January 29th 05, 03:26 AM
Elizabeth Wilson

Default Reno

DH and I will be visiting a friend in Reno mid-February. Any shops I don't
want to miss?

Elizabeth Wilson

Old January 29th 05, 03:20 PM
Kay Ahr

DEFINITELY #1) Windy Moon Quilts near the Holiday Inn on Spokane between
6th and 4th. Old quilts on display. Wonderful service. TONS of fabric and
books. Wonderful notions wall. Open on Sunday. Janome and Brother dealer.
Ask for Mike and tell him KR sent you! Ladies are very helpful and willing
to chat.

2) Going Batty on Victorian Square in downtown Sparks. (Easy to miss
because it shares a storefront with the travel agency.) Lots of fabric.
See Cari for advice. Long-arm quilting. Free parking in the garage
directly behind the building. Parking in front if you are lucky to find a
spot.

3) Sew 'n Such in the strip mall behind the Atlantis on South Virginia.
Skinny little place with lots of books and fabric stashed inside. Bernina
and Babylock dealer.

4) Mill End on Keenly off Kietzke. Junky old warehouse with lots of
bargains. Just be careful of what you pick up if you are looking for
quality stuff. Fabric content is sometimes questionable. There are lots of
fabrics on bolts. I love to go in there. I never know what goodies I'll
find!

5) Even our two Ben Franklin stores have high quality quilting fabrics.
They have the same brands (at the same prices) as the local quilt shops.

6) Then we have JoAnn's and Hancock's, in case you don't have those in your
town. They are big chain fabric stores. Hancock's is the same as Minnesota
Fabrics out east. (Same parent company.) They don't carry the really high
quality quilt fabric, but they both have some beautiful choices. JoAnn has
some fun novelty fabric. And then we are a 4 Wal-Mart town.

I'm sure there are places in South Lake Tahoe. I haven't checked them out
yet. I've only been here about three years, only started quilting in the
last year, so I'm still finding places.

Then there is the Quilt House down in Gardnerville/Minden. Definitely worth
the drive from Reno. (Maybe I'll head down there today. I forget how long
it takes to get there. Maybe an hour. Maybe not that long.) This place
was written up in a national magazine. (Forgot which one.) I've only been
there once, but I was majorly impressed. I remember seeing the Eleanor
Burns line of fabric. They even had an interior decorator design the shop.

Why did you ask this question?!? Now I'm psyched to go shopping and I
promised myself I wouldn't do that this weekend! (LOL)
--
Kay Ahr in Reno, Nevada
To reply directly to me, remove "WESTHI" in the email address.

Old January 29th 05, 03:48 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

There was a quilt shop that opened a couple of years ago in South Lake
Tahoe, but not much of a selection. I'm fairly sure they have gone out of
business and I can't remember the name. However, there is a Rite Aid in town
that carries a small variety of fabric...including some lovely quilting
fabric. It's usually a surprise to everyone, but the Rite Aid in South Lake
Tahoe is the only game in town for anything sewing related. Of course there
is always the drive down the mountain to Gardnerville and Reno one way and
Placerville and Sacramento the other way.

Judie, formerly of South Lake Tahoe

Old January 29th 05, 04:56 PM
Kay Ahr

Rite Aid? Who'd uh thunk it! I'll be there when the weather clears up a
bit. So how have those Northeast storms been treating you?

Sacramento is a great place to shop! I hit the road early in the morning
and come back late at night. I found Tayo's last Spring. Then there is
Meissner's. And the huge Hancock's. Material Girls was going out of
business when I was there; they just go to shows now apparently. Paschane's
had a small stash of fabric. Loved looking at the old Pfaff's in there.
Even Beverly's had a nice selection. My main reason for initiating a
shopping trip to Sacramento is usually my need for a "fix" of Popeye's
Chicken.

My goal is to one day (well, maybe not just ONE day) go to Britex in San
Francisco. I've heard it's like G Street in the Washington DC area. I do
miss G Street!

So what other shops do I need to visit in Sacramento and Placerville? What
about the I-80 corridor between Reno and Sacramento? I think there's just
one quilt shop in Truckee now. Are there places in Auburn and Nevada City?
I'm ready to explore, as long as I don't have to put the chains on my car!

Old January 29th 05, 06:46 PM
Pauline O'Connell

Kay,

Email me if you'd like to have my quilt shop list. I think I have most
everything listed for Northern California (have a separate list for Southern
California). I'd be happy to share it with you. I didn't know about
Material Girls - I'll delete them from my list.

Pauline

Old January 29th 05, 06:47 PM
Pauline O'Connell

The only comment I would make about Windy Moon Quilts is that it is in a
rather "seedy" part of town, but it's a great shop with a huge selection of
fabrics. I would definitely check them out.

Pauline

Old January 30th 05, 08:14 AM
Judie in Penfield NY

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Kay Ahr wrote:

Rite Aid? Who'd uh thunk it! I'll be there when the weather clears up a
bit. So how have those Northeast storms been treating you?

Actually, it seems to have warmed up a bit the last couple of days and
most importantly....no new snow!

It is so different here in the Northeast, winter doesn't seem nearly as
challenging as it does in the Sierra Mountains. It is funny though, when
people find out I'm from California they *always* ask what I think of the
winters in New York. Seems to be a wide perception that the whole
state of California is just one big beach!

Judie in Penfield NY
Old January 31st 05, 04:04 AM
Ginger in CA

Oh, my.
My father lives in Reno, although he swears every summer he is moving
"somewhere else". He's been saying that since 1997.....also says one
day when he grows up he'll figure out what he wants to do in life (he's
88 yrs young this June!)

I wonder when I'll be able to find time to go up there and visit these
fabrics shops - uh - I mean him )))))))

Ginger in CA