Schmetz SM Needles

Old January 27th 05, 08:58 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default Schmetz SM Needles

Earlier this month I had Pfilomina Pfaff serviced.
A message was included with the SM statement. I
think this information might be useful to anyone
who uses Schmetz needles. FYI:

"Your machine has a new Schmetz Universal 80/12
needle. This needle is used with Mettler
Silk-Finish or Metrosene thread. If you use Coats
& Clarks cotton-covered polyester thread, you need
to put in a Schmetz Universal 90/14 needle which
is a needle with a larger eye than the 80/12 as
the C&C thread is a thicker thread than the
Mettler thread."

No Affiliation, Yada Yada! PAT in VA/USA

Old January 27th 05, 09:21 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:58:59 -0500, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Earlier this month I had Pfilomina Pfaff serviced.
A message was included with the SM statement. I
think this information might be useful to anyone
who uses Schmetz needles. FYI:

"Your machine has a new Schmetz Universal 80/12
needle. This needle is used with Mettler
Silk-Finish or Metrosene thread. If you use Coats
& Clarks cotton-covered polyester thread, you need
to put in a Schmetz Universal 90/14 needle which
is a needle with a larger eye than the 80/12 as
the C&C thread is a thicker thread than the
Mettler thread."

No Affiliation, Yada Yada! PAT in VA/USA

Thank you for the information.
Didn't someone on RCTQ have a source where they bought Schmetz
needles by the truckload? Anyway, the prices were much better because
of some sort of bulk-buying. Where was the shop/website they
recommended?
Where is nzl* when you need her?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 27th 05, 09:36 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Johanna Gibson wrote:

Thank you for the information.
Didn't someone on RCTQ have a source where they bought Schmetz
needles by the truckload? Anyway, the prices were much better because
of some sort of bulk-buying. Where was the shop/website they
recommended?
Where is nzl* when you need her?

-- Jo in Scotland

Jo, I don't know where Jeanne is, but I've bought bulk Schmetz needles
from the Kapres site at http://www.kapres.com/needles/needles.htm.
Good service, fair price, NAYY. I'm going to have to order more quite
soon, too.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old January 27th 05, 09:40 PM

I've gotten them from Allbrands
http://www.sewserg.com/products/abc0610.html pretty much the same
pricing as the site Sandy has mentioned. I kept thinking I'd but them
a few at a time from Joanns with the coupons but everytime there's a
coupon the needles are sold out. So broke down and bought a box of
100.

Sonya

Old January 27th 05, 09:43 PM
nzlstar

i'm here, tho not as regular as i used ta be.
heres one of the sites i had in my old favs folder.
http://www.gwsms.com/didyouknow.htm

the entire harddrive from old puter was transferred to the new puter and win
XP finds it all so quickly and easily. i'm still getting used to it all,
lol.
hope this helps someone.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Sandy Foster" wrote...

Old January 27th 05, 09:49 PM
Pauline O'Connell

Jo,
I've purchased them from Kapres, www.shoppersrule.com & ebay - all at very
good prices. I bought a box of 100 from ebay about a year ago & split it
with a friend of mine - I don't remember what I bought them for, but it was
considerably less than retail. Plus, when I know I have so many, I don't
hesitate to change a needle, so I probably change them as frequently as we
are supposed to.

Pauline
oups.com...

Old January 27th 05, 10:24 PM
Charlie

I buy mine in boxes of 100 from www.jaycotts.co.uk if that's any help. Free
shipping possibly too.

Charlie.

news

Old January 27th 05, 11:24 PM
Sandy Foster

In article .com,
" wrote:

I've gotten them from Allbrands
http://www.sewserg.com/products/abc0610.html pretty much the same
pricing as the site Sandy has mentioned. I kept thinking I'd but them
a few at a time from Joanns with the coupons but everytime there's a
coupon the needles are sold out. So broke down and bought a box of
100.

Sonya

Sonya, they're about the same price, alright, but your site has free
shipping, while mine costs a whopping $2. Okay, so $2 isn't much, but $2
is $2....

Old January 28th 05, 04:24 AM
Polly Esther

Hmmmm. Did we sidetrack here?
The Pfaff's repairman's recommendations are very interesting but
certainly not carved in stone. Mostly, I wouldn't dream of using a 90
needle.Well, it depends.
I think you also have to consider the moon, the autumnal equinox, the
temperature and the stock market.
Or, if something isn't going right, try a different needle.
Sometimes any straight sharp one is good. Polly

Old January 28th 05, 05:12 AM
Teresa in Colorado

I used to be a 75/11 or 80/12 kind of gal. If the thread didn't work in
those needles, I just didn't use the thread! :-)
I also always used universal needles.

I figured this was all a quilter needed. Other needles were for people who
actually sewed!

In the last three years, I've used a lot of different needles. Ballpoints
for knits on some projects (I've actually done non-quilting projects!),
Shapes for woven fabrics (including quilting), metallica needles for
specialty threads. I've used anything from a 60/10 to a 110/16. I've tried
lots and lots of different threads and made them work instead of giving up
on them.

I still use an 80/12 for most projects, but I've switched to sharps instead
of universals. I find I get better results with them, especially when
machine quilting.

I also learned a way to tell if a needle is right for a thread. You take a
loose needle, thread it on a bit of the thread you intend to use. Then you
hold the thread at a 45 degree angle with the needle on the top. Let the
needle slide down the thread. If it goes down rapidly, the needle is too
big. If it stays on top, the needle is too small. If it kind of dances
down the thread as you jiggle the thread, it's right.

Of course, nothing is cast in concrete :-) - there are no rules, no quilt
police! However, the technician is right. In general, a thicker thread
works better with a larger needle.
--
Teresa in Colorado

http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilts
The Presser Foot in Longmont and Fort Collins, Colorado
www.thepresserfoot.com
-

k.net...

wrote:

[...]

ebay: some newly listed interesting items: knitting needle lots, looms, vintage sewing needles etc marilyn safier Marketplace 0 December 6th 04 05:33 PM
A Knitting Question: Guage Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 25 October 13th 04 04:08 AM
any problems with needles and allergies? D.M.Evans Needlework 7 September 7th 04 02:48 AM
John James Needles Suzanne Needlework 3 July 20th 04 11:56 PM
Question about John James needles Debra Needlework 13 April 6th 04 08:28 AM