Quilts - fragile?

Old January 17th 09, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Quilts - fragile?

I think not. We've had two quilts stapled (yes, really) from shelves to
cover the bins and boxes stacked behind them. For 10 years. There's been
lots of tropical sunshine, acres of flying batting fuzz, eau d'fried
catfish, two killer hurricanes with their accompanying heat with no relief
from fans or air conditioning, humidity and guests including stinky wet
Yorkies, ... and assorted other assaults. In emptying the sewing room, I've
machine washed and dried both quilts.
I'm astounded. I really expected to spoon a handful of pitiful shreds
from both the washer or the dryer or up from the living room floor where I'd
blocked them and Yogi had carefully inspected them to rate their
acceptability for naps and warmth. (It's been 20° here today).
Both quilts are quite beautiful. Still. I know that toddlers can abuse
quilts until they're loved down to the last handful and that's wonderful -
but I thought quilts should be treated as if they were extremely fragile.
Silly me. I don't guess quilts could withstand this sort of tough love
for 200 years but I might not live that long anyway. How sweet it is to
discover that quilts aren't the frail ferns I thought they were. Polly

Old January 17th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

I had those same thoughts many years ago. I had made a trip around
the world in 1993. Had to make a trip to my sisters for a funeral.
She spied the quilt and begged me for it. I reluctantly give it to
her. She told me sometime later that she washed the quilt, WITH
BLEACH. I was sick. Never again will I make a quilt and let her have
it.

I visited her about 3 years ago and saw the quilt on the back of her
sofa. It was dull and faded BUT.... it had not fallen apart at all.
She still uses it every day to take her daily nap on the sofa.

I made a football quilt for her son and his dog chewed a big hole in
the border. His wife decided the quilt should hang on the wall from
now on and STAPLED it to the wall.

The baby quilt I made them is being dragged around the house by their
10 year old daughter. She won't let her brothers touch it or the dog
near it. That quilt is 14 years old. Maybe there is a future
quilter, ya think.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old January 21st 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Good point, Polly! Last year, our Relay for Life team raffled off a
BEAUTIFUL Double Irish Chain Quilt. Lots of people were intimidated by it.
(Non quilters, of course.) They seemed to think it would require dry
cleaning or hand washing and such. Sales really picked up after we
emphasized that is can be washed and dried in the home laundry room.

For this reason, I now mention home laundry in my note that accompanies the
Quilts of Valor my group makes. I tell the new owner to enjoy it often and
then how to launder it.

Quilts are way more fun if you USE them!
PAT in VA/USA

Old January 21st 09, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 16, 10:59*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

I can also testify to the durability of wool batting. I made a couch
throw three years ago,
and what with the cat hair, etc., it's been machine washed dozens and
dozens and dozens of
times. I just hang it on the line then tumble it in the dryer a few
minutes to fluff it. It still
looks as nice as it did day one.

Sherry
Old January 22nd 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Great testimonial, Sherry, and great idea, Pat. It never crossed my mind to
mention on my own Wounded Warrior quilts that they are *not* fragile and
laundering only makes them better. I'll do that. Polly