Regarding the Power Outage...

Old August 16th 03, 01:59 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Barbara Vaughan" wrote ...

Helen \"Halla\" Fleischer wrote:

| On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 01:07:47 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che

wrote:

I 'need' to make a glib comment...
Wonder how many babies will be born next May????
LOL,
Noreen

DH was thinking about the same thing. The after effect of the blackout

in
the 60s is well known, and maybe just a little exaggerated. Somehow I

don't
see it being a big deal this time. For one thing, would you have the

energy
after a 5 hour walk home in 90 degree heat? Also birth control is more
commonplace now than it was even in 1965.

Actually, in rec.crafts.textiles.needlework, someone posted the
following article that shows clearly that there was no baby boom
whatsoever following the 1965 blackout. The weeks surrounding the
blackout + nine months actually had fewer births than the year before.
Also the exact day which represents blackout + 267 days had fewer births
than the year before. There is a table at the end of the article that
shows the statistics for all of New York City for the appropriate
periods in 1966 and the previous five years, and 1966 doesn't stand out
at all.

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/info/black04.htm

The problem is that the New York Times published several articles about
this "baby boom", but it was based on reports from a few hospitals. Any
hospital has fluctuations from one week to a next. Probably those
hospitals that had a lot of births those weeks attributed it to the
blackout, while those that had fewer than usual didn't call the New York
Times about it.

Interesting, isn't it, how the media looks at things? CBC mentioned the
"baby boom" after the last blackout (brownont). I had never seen "real"
statistics on it, and wondered how true it could be.
Katherine

Old August 16th 03, 05:19 PM
NoraBalcer

Noreen,

Have to reply even if it's a couple of days late, due to just getting back
online. Our local news people said it was too darn hot to even think about
making babies. LOL

Hugs,

Nora

Also read about the ones in NYC having to walk down the stairs and it took over
one hour to get to the first floor.
Old August 17th 03, 05:02 AM
Els van Dam

Interesting, isn't it, how the media looks at things? CBC mentioned the
"baby boom" after the last blackout (brownont). I had never seen "real"
statistics on it, and wondered how true it could be.
Katherine

Stats Canada could tell you.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 17th 03, 02:39 PM
Lucille

Here's a web page that tells it like it really is. The booming birth rate
story isn't true, but it was fun to think it might be:

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/blackout.htm

Lucille

Old August 17th 03, 05:27 PM
Katherine Burgess

Thanks, Lucille. I love these things that debunk urban myths.
Katherine

et...

"Els van Dam" wrote in message

Interesting, isn't it, how the media looks at things? CBC mentioned

the
"baby boom" after the last blackout (brownont). I had never seen

"real"
statistics on it, and wondered how true it could be.
Katherine

Stats Canada could tell you.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Needlework 0 December 20th 04 09:23 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Quilting 0 December 20th 04 08:59 AM
CAUTION: power outage DANGER! Kitty Fluff Sewing 3 December 10th 03 01:53 AM
Power outage Katherine Burgess Yarn 73 September 2nd 03 02:59 PM
OT - Hey, Tink, power outage Beads1947 Beads 1 August 17th 03 12:56 AM