tagines

Old October 16th 04, 09:35 PM
annemarie

"Slgraber" wrote in message
ok! but around here we just call it a "clay cooker".

we have some that are decent grade terricotta clay - unglazed. it's great
for
chicken. the recomendation is to soak the thing in water for a while
before
cooking things in it. you get that slow seeping steam affect.

but we just put chicken in and cook!

We call those ones chicken bricks! ) Similar principle though.

Old October 17th 04, 02:11 AM
Slgraber

yes - load the beans in the pot ~ after soaking overnight so they get their
swelling out of the way. add as much flavor stuff as you want. bake-slowcook
all day if you want. nibble once in a while to sample & get your taste buds
excited.

catchup, bacon, beef flavor, chilli seasoning, peppers, onions! all make good
beans. kilbasa? sure.

dive in and experiment. beans are cheap.

us potter types i suppose should be able to make bean pots and "chicken bricks"
and clay cookers to all fit nicely in our ovens to get the best use of the
ovens.

one of these days i'll get on it...

see ya

steve

Subject: tagines
From: Monika Schleidt
Date: 10/16/2004 1:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time
Slgraber wrote:

monica! you inspired me a few years ago to make onion soup ~ it's that

time
again!

gee, yes, lets make onion soup again! I took my new dog to puppy school
today and it was soo cold i almost died.(8°C and windy wíth a slight
drizzle at the beginning.) Should have made onion soup right away, but
another soup also helped when we got back.

try making your own bean pot. use a fat squatty vase shape. heavy pots

are
best - so if you happen to make what i call "door stop pots" they can be

used
to bake beans when they are not holding a door open.

fat - larger - classic greek vases without much of a neck feature. maybe 9
inch diameter & 9 inches tall. a nicer shape but also similar to

spit-toons.

i'll e-mail you some shapes soon.

Do you make the beans in the oven, for hours and hours?

take care, Monika
--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik
(If you wish to send me a mail, please leave out the number after my name!)

steve graber
Old November 1st 04, 11:34 AM
J M

It appears that they are mainly terracotta, but is there any reason why
these can't be done in stoneware?

Old November 1st 04, 01:16 PM
wayne

"J M" wrote in message
It appears that they are mainly terracotta, but is there any reason why
these can't be done in stoneware?

Tagines can be done in stoneware, or porcelain for that matter. The clay
body choice you make will all depend on if you are planning on actually
cooking in them. Cooking over an open flame or hot coals is a bit more
involved than oven ware or microwave cooking.
Make sure your clay body is up to the task!
--
Wayne Seidl
Key West, Florida, USA