Should I buy this for my shop?

Old February 15th 04, 10:46 PM
Des Bromilow

Default Should I buy this for my shop?

G'Day,

I'm still very much starting out in this hobby (no offense to you craftsmen
who do jewellery for a living, but for me It'll always only be a sideline
hobby)

Anyway - to get to the point.
I'm trying to setup my shop based on the tools i already own, plus what ever
extras I need as each "job" comes up.
My next project is a 9ct gold bracelet. I have the design (reproduction of
an existing bracelet) so now I'm collecting tools and materials.
I've asked (see thread about propane/LPG torches) about soldering 9ct gold
with propane, and the other question relates to pickling etc.
My local store is closing out their stocks of a product called "tarn off"
which lists Thiourea and Sulfamic Acid as it's active ingredients. Is there
any value in me purchasing some for my shop? Is it of use to me for cleaning
up soldered joints, flux etc?

Thanks,
Des

Old February 15th 04, 10:54 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:46:41 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Des Bromilow"
wrote:

My local store is closing out their stocks of a product called "tarn off"
which lists Thiourea and Sulfamic Acid as it's active ingredients. Is there
any value in me purchasing some for my shop? Is it of use to me for cleaning
up soldered joints, flux etc?

Des,

That type of product has one quite specific use. It removes the sulphide based
black tarnish from sterling silver and copper based alloys. This is the normal
blackening that silver and base metals incur over time, as well as the usually
applied "antiquing" that silver jewelry is given with "liver of sulphur", when
black coloring is desired in recesses, etc. The product is similar to
"Tarnex", also sold at the retail level for that use in cleaning peoples
silverware or jewelry. This is it's only real use. it does not affect oxides,
only sulphides, and has no effect o things like solder flux, etc, beyond what
plain water will do.

If you work at all with sterling silver, you may from time to time wish to
remove the black antiqueing or tarnish present on a piece, and this type of
product is efficient at doing so, especially in recesses or textures that may
be hard to reach with mechanical polishing. Note that it does not restore a
lost shine or polish. Just removes the black color. Also, a mixed solution
probably does not have an indefinate shelf life. If the product is sold as a
dry powder, it will last as long as you wish to store it until it's mixed up.
but once mixed with water, it does seem to slowly degrade, so after a few
years, you may find it less useful.

I'd guess the choice as to whether to buy some would depend on whether you
think you'll ever need it, plus just how much of a sale the store is having on
the stuff. If it's ten percent off, I'd pass. If it's 80 percent off, what
have you got to loose?

Cheers

Peter

Old February 16th 04, 12:44 AM
Des Bromilow

Thanks,
this is the kind of advice I needed.

I'll pass on it since it's premixed and at least a few years old. Price is
approx 30% off.
I'll go back to collecting tooling, and broken jewellery (to learn on)
whilst my search for a course, or mentor continues.

Des
wrote:

[...]

AD:>>Bali Bead Shop New Arrivals: Earring Post<< Bali Bead Shop Beads 0 June 10th 04 11:52 AM
On-line "Shop" closing Kaytee Beads 25 January 6th 04 12:21 AM
new here, getting re-inspired shibumi Beads 15 September 30th 03 08:08 AM
AD - RCB Cafe Press Shop - trial ends tomorrow! Kandice Seeber Beads 11 September 15th 03 11:02 AM
Opening a shop H. J. Corney Jewelry 3 September 2nd 03 06:35 AM