wide rings, and sizing - help

Old February 5th 04, 02:33 AM
Tom Doody

I faced the exact same problem. I took a beginning jewelry class
(from an excellent instructor, James Lynn). As an engineer, I was
interested in the technical details and wanted to make an Excel
spreadsheet to precisely calculate some of the fabrication
measurements for ring sizes. To make a long story short, I found some
discrepancies in a couple of size tables. I investigated these
discrepancies some more and found that there were some small but real
differences from various reputable industry sources. There appears to
be a historical basis for these discrepancies.

entitled "The non-standard industry standard: A plea for establishing
a reference document for American ring sizes" (not yet submitted for
consideration), which stated:

1) The primary conclusion for this comparison is that there are
significant differences in the listed ring size diameters.
2) A secondary conclusion is that there are some small discrepancies
in some data in the listed circumferential length compared to what the
calculated circumference should be.
3) There are additional occasional errors in many of the "public" data
tables for the conversions between the inch and metric conversions.

The draft article goes on to make a proposal for establishing a
published industry consensus standard of ring sizes. The paper
included a recommendation for the proposed standard dimensions (using
both inch and metric).

By the way, does anyone know if there is any specific interest on
having this review/proposal article published in either an industry
journal or website?

wrote in message
. ..
I'll remind you again I'm new at jewelery, but a master machinist.

Ring sizes are driving me mad!
The first thing I did was a web search to get a size chart so I could turn a
mandrel, after downloading about 8 charts it was obvious there is
no standard. And most charts cant get from metric to inches and get the
same size.
So....I found the 3 charts that matched the best and averaged them.

It is clear not all size 8 rings are the same diameter, so how do you sell
rings online and not get returns for "it does not fit"?

My plan is to state rings sizes are not engraved in stone and then give the
size I fell it is and the actual inside diameter in inches and mm.
With this info they could measure a ring that fits and then know the
diameter they want (width not withstanding).

A question to those of you who own store bought ring mandrels and have more
than one. Do they agree with each other and how close?

Is this a mole hill that looks like a mountain to me? Getting the size right
the first time is important to me, because I'm makeing
Mokume Gane and they wont take kindly to stretching.

Les

Society for measuring rings in diameter by mm.
(SFMRBMM) I need a better name for my organization!

Old February 5th 04, 07:01 AM
Abrasha

Tom Doody wrote:

By the way, does anyone know if there is any specific interest on
having this review/proposal article published in either an industry
journal or website?

You may want to contact to editers of the following magazines:

Jewelers Circular Keystone (JCK Magazine)
http://www.jckgroup.com/index.asp?la...licatio n=jck

The editor here is H. Shupak. Contact him(her?) for articles, content issues
and story ideas at

AJM Magazine,
http://www.ajm-magazine.com/ Contact Rich Youmans

Modern Jeweler (can't find a web site or email address)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old February 6th 04, 03:06 AM
-SP-

"Des Bromilow" wrote in message

snip

FWIW i tested my own 4mm wedding band on the verniers and found the

same
ID
as the test ring, so I intend using my own finger as a backup sizing
guide.
(Perhaps I should use my right hand since it's not used to wearing a
ring
24/7? - or should I use the left?)

There's no ringsizer *out there* that differentiates between left
and right finger sizes, not that I know of anyway, (someone please
correct me on this if you know different).

As for sizing in general? A Lady can have a size K or M and not
know the difference. It really depends on what their fingers are
like - fat, thin, small, large, big knuckles, small knuckles etc...
I've seen them all. Same goes for the Gents too...

Everyone's different and we get to sort it out so that they are
happy with their 'fit'.

There is no true sizing guide for everyone, apart from general
guides, that is...

-SP-

thanks
Des