Beginner chasing and repousse tools

Old August 20th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Beginner chasing and repousse tools

Is there an internet supplier for small jewelry size (earrings,
broaches, rings, etc.) chasing tools? I will eventually learn to
forge my own, but would like to purchase a few ready-made tools to get
started. Any suggestions for a minimalist starting set of tools? I
would like to practice and learn on copper or tin and move up to
silver and gold as my skills permit.
Old August 20th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

wrote:
Is there an internet supplier for small jewelry size (earrings,
broaches, rings, etc.) chasing tools? I will eventually learn to
forge my own, but would like to purchase a few ready-made tools to get
started. Any suggestions for a minimalist starting set of tools? I
would like to practice and learn on copper or tin and move up to
silver and gold as my skills permit.

I helped out a fellow silversmith and minter recently with brass sheet
for a project of his.
this was a full size reproduction of the Battersea shield,
The brass was a 70/30 ' .0022 in .
He called in to see me after he had been asked to be in a film for TV
about the battersea shield at the Iron age village Nr. Guildford.He
showed me the repusse tools he used and made for this project
They ranged from 6in nails to old round files cut off after they were
softened.

So altho I cant help you with a supplier of repusse tools , try and find
a quantity of medium carbon steel rod, for example the 1/4in or 3/8in
dia weldmesh used in concrete reenforcement.
This sort of metal would be ideal fore what you need.
youll need to grind up or file the ends to the shapes you want, then
polish up to a mirror. finish.
My friend used a lead block backingfor his project.
I saw the finished result and it was as good as the original.
But hes a master of course!!.
Old August 21st 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Fred Zweig

On Aug 19, 5:50*pm, wrote:
Is there an internet supplier for small jewelry size (earrings,
broaches, rings, etc.) chasing tools? *I will eventually learn to
forge my own, but would like to purchase a few ready-made tools to get
started. *Any suggestions for a minimalist starting set of tools? *I
would like to practice and learn on copper or tin and move up to
silver and gold as my skills permit.

I suggest you check the popular internet auction site eBay and search
for "silversmith chasing tools". If you are just going to
experiment. I would suggest using used screwdrivers to make your own
tools. A small flat head screwdriver can make a nice liner.

You can also acquire a starter set at Allcraft Tool, Rio Grande Tools,
Indian Jewelers Supply. A great deal will depend on what you wish to
make. Most folks customize or make their own tools to fit the
particular job they are working on.

Best,
Fred

Fred E. Zweig
Metalsmith.
Old August 21st 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
jarkman

On Aug 20, 1:50 am, wrote:
Is there an internet supplier for small jewelry size (earrings,
broaches, rings, etc.) chasing tools? I will eventually learn to
forge my own, but would like to purchase a few ready-made tools to get
started. Any suggestions for a minimalist starting set of tools? I
would like to practice and learn on copper or tin and move up to
silver and gold as my skills permit.

I was on a similar quest a few months ago.

I spent a while looking for supplliers, and in the end gave up & made
my own from tool-steel rod of various sizes. It's very quick to do, so
you can get a starter set going in an evening.

Here's a photo of my set (actually, a duplicate I made as a gift):
http://jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jewel/chasingpunches.htm
For scale, the small square stock is 4mm.

I shaped them with files & wet&dry paper, and polished them with
Autosol metal polish on a bit of kitchen roll. I am far too lazy to
forge the shafts down, and for my purposes that doesn't seem to
matter. But I am a complete novice, so I may be missing something.

If your experience is like mine, you will often find that you need a
new shape in the middle of a design, at which point you will
inevitably start making your own punches anyway out of impatience. You
may as well start out that way.
Old August 22nd 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Fred Zweig

On Aug 19, 5:50=A0pm, wrote:
Is there an internet supplier for small jewelry size (earrings,
broaches, rings, etc.) chasing tools? =A0I will eventually learn to
forge my own, but would like to purchase a few ready-made tools to get
started. =A0Any suggestions for a minimalist starting set of tools? =A0I
would like to practice and learn on copper or tin and move up to
silver and gold as my skills permit.

Charles Lewton Brain has written a small and inexpensive pamphlet on
making chasing tools.

http://www.lulu.com/content/595383

Fred