Tell me how to center and self bind again, please

Old April 24th 04, 02:16 AM
QuiltShopHopper

Default Tell me how to center and self bind again, please

I think it's the binding method where you bring the back over and somehow
tack it down, but I don't know how to make it not ripple, tack it down,
where to sew (front to back or back to front) or how much of the batting to
clip off.

And for the life of me, I can't get the wallhanging quilt top to be centered
on the back. The back is a large rectangle of one fabric, surrounded on all
sides with a border fabric that wasn't quiiiiiite big enough to reach, so I
added another border on all sides that made damn sure that the back is now
larger than the front. I made that mistake with my first project. So the
back looks like 3 nested rectangles of coordinating colors used on the
wallhanging quilt top. The wallhanging quilt top is an attic windows of 3
rows and 2 columns of a shelved book fabric, so 6 attic window blocks total,
in a rectangle. i have worked all day to get thet top centered on that
back; walked away in anger 4 times, frustrated, and then just decided that
done is better than perfect. If you all don't have a trick to tell me how
to center that top, I will close my eyes and just start quilting it, and
stop stressing. It will be crooked, but finished.

Cyndi

Old April 24th 04, 02:42 AM
Kathy in CA

Frankly I never get the backing perfect! The best I have done was this last
one when I laid the batting down (still partially folded, unfolding as
needed), then pinned the backing right side facing you. I was able to get
the backing pretty smooth that way. THEN flip it over and pin on the top,
removing pins from the back as you no longer need them. I use a seam gage to
get the measurement even at the top and one side. Later on you can cut all
around to make all 4 sides the same
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old April 24th 04, 02:44 AM
Polly Esther

Cyndi, I can help but wonder if the back has gone wonky on you. Measure the
left and right sides and see if they are the same or at least pretty close.
Do the same for top and bottom. Place straight pins perpendicular to the
edge at the exact center of each of the four edges. Repeat for the quilt
top.
Now - find the center (the exact middle) of the top and the back. You
can do this by just folding on the diagonal from corner to corner. First top
right corner to bottom left, then top left corner to bottom right. Still
with me? Still breathing? Where these diagonal folds cross should give you
the exact mid point of the top and also the back.
Stick a pin through the mid-point of both; lay one on top of the other.
My suggestions are primitive, certainly not world competition methods,
but they will work. Now, back to breathing...you are bigger than this quilt.
Don't let it get you. Polly

Old April 24th 04, 01:51 PM
Kraterfields

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...
Now - find the center (the exact middle) of the top and the back. You
can do this by just folding on the diagonal from corner to corner. First

top
right corner to bottom left, then top left corner to bottom right. Still
with me? Still breathing? Where these diagonal folds cross should give

you
the exact mid point of the top and also the back.

I think I'd actually press it on these diagonals; or at least stick a pin in
at the "corners" where the diagonals end up. Then, after matching up the
centers like Polly said, you could match up the tips of the diaganols on the
back and top. If it didn't lay quite flat, I'd trust the quilting to
camoflage it, but then I'm a hand quilter.
--
susan kraterfield
see my quilts: http://members.cox.net/kratersge

Old April 26th 04, 05:35 PM
Dr. Quilter

but but it is rectangular, not square so the diagonals method won't
work... right? wouldn't it be better to fold in half in both directions?

Marissa
who always has trouble visualizing 3D instructions...

Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old April 26th 04, 10:52 PM
Julia in MN

Dr. Quilter wrote:
but but it is rectangular, not square so the diagonals method won't
work... right? wouldn't it be better to fold in half in both directions?

The diagonals of a rectangle are the same length; measuring the diagonal
to square up a quilt should work even if the quilt is rectangular.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old April 27th 04, 01:23 AM
Dr. Quilter

sorry, I thought the message read 'folding' it on the diagonal, not
measuring it... I hate folding rectangles that way, because they lose
their simmetry )

Old April 27th 04, 04:15 AM
QuiltShopHopper

I just kept the pieced backing for another project and bought a single piece
of Kona cotton solid in a coord color, then self binded, and it really looks
nice. Thanks to all of you nice advisors. I don't have the ability to show
you a pic online.

cyndi

Old April 27th 04, 05:29 AM
Polly Esther

I can't believe I was driven to this but I really did go get a rectangle,
fold it diagonally with a finger press and establish a center. Please do not
confuse the elderly. We are confused enough. Is this Monday? Polly

Old April 27th 04, 08:20 AM
Sharon Harper

That's okay - send it to me and I'll post a pic for everyone to see!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html