OT - another groaner

Old February 16th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

Default OT - another groaner

There was a Scottish painter named Smokey McGregor who was very
interested in making a penny where he could, so he often thinned down
his paint to make it go a wee bit further. As it happened, he got away
with this for some time, but eventually the Baptist Church decided to do
a big restoration job on the outside of one of their biggest buildings.
Smokey put in a bid, and, because his price was so low, he got the job.
So he set about erecting the scaffolding and setting up the planks, and
buying the paint and, yes, I am sorry to say, thinning it down with
turpentine.
Well, Smokey was up on the scaffolding, painting away, the job nearly
completed, when suddenly there was a horrendous clap of thunder, the sky
opened, and the rain poured down washing the thinned paint from all over
the church and knocking Smokey clear off the scaffold to land on the
lawn among the gravestones, surrounded by telltale puddles of the
thinned and useless paint.
Smokey was no fool. He knew this was a judgment from the Almighty, so he
got down on his knees and cried:
"Oh, God, Oh God, forgive me; what should I do?"
And from the thunder, a mighty voice spoke:
"Repaint! Repaint! And thin no more!"
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old February 16th 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Bruce Fletcher" wrote in message
[...]

Here's a token groan!

The first time I heard this joke was when my DDH told it and I've been a
widow since 1989, so I guess it's whiskers have gotten long and scraggly by
now.

Lucille

Old February 16th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Lucille wrote:

[...]

I hadn't heard that one before...............not that I remember, anyway.
Gill
Old February 18th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Annette from NZ

BIG groan from me Bruce and no, I hadn't heard it before!

regards, Annette

OT-another groaner Lucille Needlework 7 June 17th 06 04:06 PM
groaner for those who appreciate them The Lady Gardener Needlework 1 October 7th 05 11:02 AM
OT Another groaner [email protected] Needlework 5 August 20th 05 11:54 PM
OT GROANER Cheryl Isaak Needlework 2 June 8th 05 05:19 PM
OT Groaner Cheryl Isaak Needlework 1 June 1st 05 02:08 PM