How did they do this in production?

Old October 2nd 03, 03:20 AM
C Ryman

Default How did they do this in production?

I was looking at my sisters ring holders which are at least 30 years old (I
think). They are probably from China or something. I was wondering how
they would do this work in production and not thermal shock it.
It seems like they tack the ends of thick pink stringer to a white base, put
on another row of stringer going the other way, stick on another piece of
white glass. Slump the stringers down then heat and mash the end of the
stringers to the top rim which has good gold paint on it.
Any ideas how they might have controlled the temperature and prevented
thermal shock?
The photos are on Yahoo! I hope you can see them, I have had a hard time
with the net running really slow on my PC.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/con...src=ph&.view=t

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old October 2nd 03, 06:18 AM
nJb

C Ryman wrote:

[...]

They were probably placed in the annealer every so often, taken out,
worked and returned. Many larger flameworked pieces are done in this
manner.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old October 2nd 03, 02:30 PM
Mike Firth

Well, since glass from China is a relatively new phenominon I would guess
that that source is unlikely.
But, with the detail on the rim, I would think is was made upside down in
a jig with a textured goove to hold and form that shape and detail on top of
the rim and it had a riser in the center to support the center disk inside.
Pressed glass "rope" was placed in the groove. The jig was heated, perhaps
in an annealer from underneath, the lower level of strands were added,
whatever spacer is in between, the upper level added then the top disk.
HOWEVER, the more I look at it, especially those mashed ends of the
strands against the sharp detail of the rim where they attach (no mushing),
I wonder if it is not glazed pottery. Are you sure it is glass?
--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old October 2nd 03, 04:11 PM
Javahut

"C Ryman" wrote in message
I was looking at my sisters ring holders which are at least 30 years old

(I
think). They are probably from China or something. I was wondering how
they would do this work in production and not thermal shock it.
It seems like they tack the ends of thick pink stringer to a white base,

put
on another row of stringer going the other way, stick on another piece of
white glass. Slump the stringers down then heat and mash the end of the
stringers to the top rim which has good gold paint on it.
Any ideas how they might have controlled the temperature and prevented
thermal shock?
The photos are on Yahoo! I hope you can see them, I have had a hard time
with the net running really slow on my PC.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/con...src=ph&.view=t

Sure looks like porcelin in the photo? You sure that's glass?

Old October 2nd 03, 08:22 PM
Michele Blank

there are little marks where the pink bands were pushed into the underlying
ring that indicate a thumb/finger pressure print. My guess also is clay with
a heavy glaze. m

Old October 2nd 03, 08:24 PM
C Ryman

Well, darn, I thought it was glass but maybe it is porcelain. I didn't see
any stilt marks but now that I look at it closer it looks like the glaze is
wearing away on the foot. Sorry guys. I wish it was glass, oh well.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old October 3rd 03, 12:50 AM
Steve Richardson

If your computer is running slow on the Internet (as mine was earlier this
week), check your systems resources. Mine was pegged at 100% and stayed
there. I looked at which processes were running and saw nothing odd there,
but when I looked closely into my "backup" files I found that stupid
"blaster" virus again (msblast.exe). I got rid of it ages ago but it
resurfaced somehow. Once I deleted it my usage instantly went down from
100% to under 5% and stayed there, and my Web access sped up dramatically.
- Steve Richardson
St Louis

Old October 3rd 03, 03:42 AM
C Ryman

Thanks Steve,
I searched for that but did not find it. System seems OK but the speed on
the DSL seems to be fluctuating wildly.
My husband has been testing the DSL, sometimes it is real slow. Might be a
problem with Verizon and the hurricane.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio