"cloth knitted bag" kits

Old February 27th 05, 05:54 PM
Wooly

Default "cloth knitted bag" kits

I eyeballed one of these at the bargain barn the other night. The
"kit" appears to consist of a few yards of cheap cotton/poly fabric,
plastic bag handles, and basic directions for knitting the bag. The
bag itself appears to be two slightly tapered flat pieces, with a long
narrow piece used as the "gusset" to give the bag depth.

As the knitter you are required to cut the cloth into strips of a
specified width, then knit per directions and sew the pieces together
with the addition of sewing thread and seam tape that is not provided
in the kit.

Okso. I priced plastic bag handles ($5) and cotton/poly fabric
($2/yd). Seam tape is about $1.50, a spool of thread the same.

I do NOT know how much fabric is required for stripping into "yarn" -
I guess that's what swatches are for. You also want extra fabric to
line the bag with. I'd start with 3 yards cut into half-inch strips,
plus a yard for the lining.

$6 fabric
$5 handle
$3 thread and tape
===
$14 which was $2 less than the bargain barn was selling hte kits for.
Old February 27th 05, 06:21 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Wooly" wrote in message
[...]

Methinks Wooly will be designing her OWN kit(s), LOL!
Hugs,
Noreen

Old February 27th 05, 06:52 PM
Katherine

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
"Wooly" wrote in message
[...]

And they probably be nicer than the ones at the other place!

Katherine

Old February 27th 05, 08:05 PM
Wooly

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:21:21 -0600, "Noreen's Knit*che"
spewed forth :

Methinks Wooly will be designing her OWN kit(s), LOL!
Hugs,
Noreen

Probably not (you have NO idea how many totes I have int he closet)
but I did feel it was worth pointing out the pattern simplicity and
the fact that one can assemble the various materials for a savings
over the kitted price.
Old February 27th 05, 09:10 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Wooly" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:21:21 -0600, "Noreen's Knit*che"
spewed forth :

Methinks Wooly will be designing her OWN kit(s), LOL!
Hugs,
Noreen

Probably not (you have NO idea how many totes I have int he closet)
but I did feel it was worth pointing out the pattern simplicity and
the fact that one can assemble the various materials for a savings
over the kitted price.

OMGosh, I *know*!!
So many 'kits' are a huge rip-off!
Don's agreeing too, seeing 'kits' in woodworking mags and knowing that
drawing his own template, purchasing is own wood, etc, results in 2/3rds
savings!
Noreen

Old February 28th 05, 12:34 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
"Wooly" wrote
"Noreen's Knit*che" spewed forth :

Methinks Wooly will be designing her OWN kit(s), LOL!

Probably not (you have NO idea how many totes I have int he closet)
but I did feel it was worth pointing out the pattern simplicity and
the fact that one can assemble the various materials for a savings
over the kitted price.

OMGosh, I *know*!!
So many 'kits' are a huge rip-off!
Don's agreeing too, seeing 'kits' in woodworking mags and knowing that
drawing his own template, purchasing is own wood, etc, results in 2/3rds
savings!

Yup. OTOH the kit includes the instructions, without which many people
are lost, especially if it's something they've never tried before.
A kit can get someone started; then once they see how easy it is,
they're off and running. It might be worth the $2 for the instructions
and the confidence-boost.

=Tamar