JOHANNA, HILFE HILFE HILFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 14th 03, 01:18 PM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Default JOHANNA, HILFE HILFE HILFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like you to do some checking for me, OK? Take Novita
4/2001 and page 83, pattern number 36. Is it right written?
I have tried and tried to make that sweater but always it
looks like I miscount. Is it me or is it the pattern????? I
just want you to check it out. If it is right written, it is
my miserable math realizing. But if the calculations are
originally wrong, I ask you to send me the corrected
pattern. I'd love to knit that pattern but I never get it
right.
Best: Pirjo

Old July 14th 03, 04:26 PM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

In that case..it must be me. I was rather sure it is my
miserable math. No matter how well I try to count the
stitches (you bet I count and recount and count once more)
it never goes right. *sigh* First I cast on CAREFULLY 72
stitches. I cast on 5 stitches and write it down. Then I
cast on 5 more and write down number 10 (the mount of the
stitches on the needle). After that I knit the 2 purl 2
knit - part. No counting while knitting. Then I try to add 8
stitches evenly. I do it like this: Knit 9 stitches, add 1
stitch. Knit 9 stitches, knit 1 stitch etc. No counting on
that row..should I count? After adding I knit and count like
in the beginning. Knit 5, mark it down, etc. All goes
well...or should go untill I should decrease FROM BOTH ENDS
8 stitches. NO matter how well I try, there is TOO MANY
stitches after that operation. Should I just count to 8 in
both ends, put a marker into those stitches I DO NOT TOUCH
when I decrease and that would do it or....?
Best: Pirjo
Johanna Koski kirjoitti

I'd like you to do some checking for me, OK? Take Novita
4/2001 and page 83, pattern number 36. Is it right

written?
I have tried and tried to make that sweater but always

it
looks like I miscount. Is it me or is it the

pattern?????

I checked the smallest of the sweatercalculations and they

were
correct. I think it's right written, where you have

problems
in it?

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski
Finland, Europe

Old July 14th 03, 04:28 PM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Oh, I forgot - naturally - ask you something. How many rows
should I knit to get 4 cm 2knit-2purl - thing done after
casting on 72 stitches????????????? You should find out the
gauge of 7 Veljestä from the thing around the ball of yarn.
Best: Pirjo
Johanna Koski kirjoitti

Old July 14th 03, 05:10 PM
SlinkyToy

"Pirjo Ilvesvuori" wrote in message
In that case..it must be me. I was rather sure it is my
miserable math. No matter how well I try to count the
stitches (you bet I count and recount and count once more)
it never goes right. *sigh* First I cast on CAREFULLY 72
stitches. I cast on 5 stitches and write it down. Then I
cast on 5 more and write down number 10 (the mount of the
stitches on the needle). After that I knit the 2 purl 2
knit - part. No counting while knitting. Then I try to add 8
stitches evenly. I do it like this: Knit 9 stitches, add 1
stitch. Knit 9 stitches, knit 1 stitch etc.

** Instead of knit 9, increase try doing this: Knit 4, increase, *knit 8,
increase* across, finishing Knit 4 -- this should give you 80 stitches total
on the needles.

No counting on
that row..should I count?

** Yes!! It always helps to know how many stitches you SHOULD have after
any given row, and to be sure you have that many stitches you need to count
them!

After adding I knit and count like
in the beginning. Knit 5, mark it down, etc. All goes
well...or should go untill I should decrease FROM BOTH ENDS
8 stitches. NO matter how well I try, there is TOO MANY
stitches after that operation. Should I just count to 8 in
both ends, put a marker into those stitches I DO NOT TOUCH
when I decrease and that would do it or....?

If you're to decrease 8 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows, you
should finish with 66 stitches on the needles once you've done all the
decreasing.

As for how many rows of 2x2 ribbing to make 4cm: I'm not familiar with the
yarn you're using so no idea what the gauge is. Measure the work. Plus or
minus one row won't hurt anything as long as you make the ribbing for the
other half of the sweater the same length.

Finally, stitch markers are your friend. Put one on the needle every 20
stitches as you're casting on or even every 10 stitches, it will make
counting easier.