OT we're getting a new puppy QI

Old February 8th 04, 11:47 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Default OT we're getting a new puppy QI

Rhoda was born on January 29 so she won't be coming home for a few
weeks. We had to give up our rescue, Happy Girl, after she attacked
our Ruffles (female Rhodesian Ridgeback a very quiet well behaved show
dog). Also our Pinkee (kitty) could never leave the bed room because
of Happy.

We looked at a lot of puppies, various breeds and mixes, went to the
SPCA shelter, etc.

I finally e-mailed Ruffles' breeder and she said that her big girl,
Diva, just had 10 puppies and two of the little girls are ridge less.
She says that we can have one of them at cost (vet fees, shots, chip,
etc.), there is no way we could afford a "Diva" pup at full price.
(champion sires and dams on all sides including Diva herself). We will
spay Rhoda. Ruffles' sire and Diva are brother and sister.

Our next choice would be to breed Ruffles and keep one of her puppies.
I'm not ready for that.

I'm so excited. I'm going to start her quilt tomorrow and a little
coat to bring her home in.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old February 9th 04, 02:23 AM
hfw

Congratulations! I can imagine how you feel... We've been wanting a baby
scottie sister for our Aidan now for a year and a half. After a couple of
false starts, we finally got the news in January, and got to bring her home
last weekend. Barbara (Bobbie) McGee is now part of the family and
alternately charming and driving Aidan crazy! They're actually cousins, if I
understand the genealogy right.

Anyway, enjoy the anticipation--and rest up! I'd forgotten how exhausting
puppies can be, especially when they're not the only ones. g

There are pics in my webshots album...

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old February 9th 04, 03:29 AM
Maine-iac Rose

Heidi, really lovely dogs. We have always had lab or lab mixes, so they
were large dogs, but it is getting to the point where a smaller dog will be
in our family.
And your quilts are lovely also.
Take care, and keep quilting...Maine-iac Rose

Old February 9th 04, 03:32 AM
Two x over

bonnie--
congrats on the new puppy! our tervlet (belgian terv puppy) will be born and
coming to live with us later this year....

i think you did the smart thing---you know the breed and the breeder--so
automatically off to a great start! and, as someone who has had belgian terv
rescues for over 14 years now....i am a firm believer in a few things...leave
the breeding to the pros, dont breed a dog unless it has letters in front and
behind the name, and dont breed if you dont rescue!

what will the new additions name be???
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"
Old February 9th 04, 10:06 AM
Bonnie Patterson

Ridgebacks have a strip of hair, down the middle of their backs, that
points toward their head. Sort of like the nap (in fabric) going the
wrong way. This being said, Rhoda was born without one, she will not
grow one later in life. Ridgeback "people" often joke by calling the
ridge less a "Rhodesian Back"! Well, maybe you have to be there. ;~)

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:14:39 GMT, "Helen in MN"
wrote:

what is a ridge-less ridgeback???

Helen in MN
.. .

Old February 9th 04, 05:18 PM
Regina

[...]

Congrats! I'm a big dog lover. My father and mother owned several
"Rhodies" in their later years, before they passed away. They
were/are wonderful dogs. My father saw them in So. Africa during the
war and always wanted one. They were very rare here for a long time.
He finally found one at the pound and rescued it. She was the first
of three they rescued over the next 10-15 years. Enjoy your newcomer!

The Puppy Wizard Ruthie Needlework 0 August 24th 04 01:47 AM
AD: NEW Dog or Puppy Page Kit & lots of Fibers Spot Rubberstamps 0 May 23rd 04 08:35 PM
Advice needed for foster situation - breeders pls. read LeeAnne Quilting 2 September 13th 03 12:12 AM
Time to make this "abuse complaint week" against The Puppy Wizard!!! Shelly Quilting 0 August 26th 03 11:16 PM