silver clay and rock tumblers

Old February 6th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default silver clay and rock tumblers

I'm new to this newsgroup, hello. I'm looking for a good rock tumbler to
burnish fired silver clay pieces. There are quite a few on the market to
choose from. Anyone have an opinion or advice about these little machines?
Vibrating or tumbling? Stainless shot or polishing grit? Help!

Old February 6th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

hi there, i myself have used PMC/art clay and i use a rock tumbler that
i purchased from Argos!! i know it sounds bizzar, but it does work. iv
just done a BA in silversmithing and now im doing a masters, but all on
a student budget. i couldnt afford a propper barrel polisher so i gave
the hobbie rock polisher a go. i uses the same method really as a more
expensive one, but for only =A330! its a national geographic yellow one.
the only downside is that its a bit noisy!! to get you started, buy a
bag of mixed shot which you can buy from cooksons at around =A315. you
wont need much and it will last ages if you look after it, mixed shot
will be the best for all round burnishing as it gets into all of the
corners and the balls with give the surface a nice burnished finish.
when you buy your shot (a mixture of balls, shace ship pieces and
spikey pieces in ready made mix available to purchase) you will also
need barrel polishing powder which will be available in the same
section, and it just a special soap that will lubricate the shot to
ensure a real sparkely clean finish.put a handfull of shot in the
polisher, add enough water to cover the shot and your work and add only
a small sprinkling of powder (not too much otherwise you will end up
with a thick white soap foam) and turn it on. to burnish the piece you
only need to leave it on for 20 mintues or so, check it frequently, to
harden your work, it needs to be in longer. i hope this is of some
help, if you need any more, you can email me on ,
good luck

Old February 7th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:29:55 GMT, "A.J.Martin"
wrote:

I'm new to this newsgroup, hello. I'm looking for a good rock tumbler to
burnish fired silver clay pieces. There are quite a few on the market to
choose from. Anyone have an opinion or advice about these little machines?
Vibrating or tumbling? Stainless shot or polishing grit? Help!

I'd vibrate with shot, but then, I'm just only me.

Blessed be, for sure...