Extruder

Old October 10th 04, 07:49 PM
Shmuel

Default Extruder

I am looking to buy, or make, an inexpensive extruder. Any ideas?

Shmuel

Old October 11th 04, 01:44 AM
Spunky the Tuna

"Shmuel" wrote:

I am looking to buy, or make, an inexpensive extruder. Any ideas?

I've often thought that you could make an extruder out of a decent quality
caulking gun. Not the $1.99 jobs at the cheapo hardware store, but the
professional types that are made of much heavier stuff.

It ought to be cheap to do. The limitation, obviously, would be that you'd
only be able to extrude fairly small shape and your reservoir of clay would
also be pretty small.

But it might be worth a shot.
--
Spunky the Tuna
Old October 11th 04, 01:55 AM
Bubbles

"Shmuel" wrote in message

I am looking to buy, or make, an inexpensive extruder. Any ideas?

I found a metal cake-decorating gun with tons of attachments. It is kind of
like a mini caulking gun, but with the attachments already in place, it
should work pretty good. I haven't used it yet, though, but I think it
should work pretty well.

If you want a big extruder - to use for example instead of rolling coils to
extrude them (though remember they won't be as strong), you could look at
just a solid plastic or metal pipe from a plumber with a screw-on bit on the
bottom. Get some leverage for the handle and it might work. Ask your best
handy-man for ideas :-)

Marianne

Old October 11th 04, 04:41 AM
Slgraber

think about the basics needed - barrel, ram head, wall attachment. arm to
provide extra force.

hit up the professional plumbing stores for large diameter pipe.

some areas have odd junk yards. i know one in Bellflower, CA (usa) (Nick's
JunkYard) that has EVERYTHING except car parts! they even have a 14 foot
diameter simulated satellite. i think you could go there with an extrude in
mind and find the right parts.

the workers there are also pretty creative & know their junk yard inventory.
speak with them and they may help you pull together what you want.

air compressor driven rams are also available here & there.

draw up some plans for yourself to understand what you might need.

see ya

steve

Subject: Extruder

Old October 11th 04, 01:47 PM
Tony

http://tonyolsen.com/up/extruder/

Check this link and see if it will work for you..
Tony

Old October 11th 04, 06:22 PM
Steve Mills

Tony,

That's very close to how I make my guns. The difference is I use 55mm
rainwater pipe, and pop-rivet a disc of plastic cut to fit onto the
plunger. The dies are made by using one of those cheap hole-cutter kits
you get in hardware stores; the hole it drills in the middle is a good
start for a die shape.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Tony
writes

Old October 11th 04, 11:02 PM
Tony

Steve,
I've also used the old plastic 'switch plates' the thing that goes over the
light switch on the wall. I use a dremell tool to shape them. Haven't made
any hollow dies yet though. The tube I used is PVC drain pipe as under a
sink etc. It's inside diameter was larger (but only slightly) that the
plunger on the caulk gun.
Take care..
Tony

http://tonyolsen.com/up/

Old October 11th 04, 11:59 PM
Steve Mills

For a hollow die to make fine tubes I use a 2 X 3/16 inch round head
bolt bent into a U shape and secured with 2 nuts to one side of the die.
Works a treat!

Steve
Bath
UK