Crochet Pattern Help or Replacement?

Old November 10th 04, 01:45 AM
Allaya Diep

Stick with it...I agree with PP that you shouldn't give up...the pattern
looks like it's very doable for your skill level. One thing I learned early
on about patterns...crochet patterns in particular...is that it's really a
lot easier if you take everything very literally. Most of my mistakes that
I made as a beginner were because I took too much time interpreting the
pattern rather than doing exatly what it said, even if it sounded absurd or
confusing.

What exactly did you have trouble with? Aside from joining in the
beginning, the other thing that might be unclear is where exactly you're
DC...that would be one per each chain.

this is what the pattern says:
ch 3 dc in next 2 ch, ch 2, skp 2 ch, dc in next 3 ch, (ch 1 ,skip one
chain, dc in next 3 ch)4 times.

Translation:
Chain three and double crochet once in each of the next two chains. Chain
two, skip the next two chains and then double crochet once in the next three
chains. Do the following four times: Chain one, skip one chain adn then
double crochet in the next three chains. Then we presumably move onto the
next set of instructions.

Does this help? If this isn't what you were confused about, please tell us
where exactly you're getting held up.

Allaya
"Maeven" wrote in message
Hi All!

I'm definitely a newbie so I'm wondering if I just bit off more than I
could chew. I have been told my crocheting is good (even chains and I'm
picking up terminology well, at least I thought) and have done some hats
and scarves and coasters so far. I wanted to make a poncho for my three
year old and thought this pattern was awesome looking.

Pattern - http://www.bellaonline.org/articles/art6057.asp

or here - http://www.medidit.com/free/cpon.html

So I got my three skeins of Caron Simply Soft and started the beginning
chain. Then I did three dc and stopped. The pattern just doesn't make
sense to me.

So should I chuck it and find another?

I really would like to make a poncho for my daughter but now I'm
wondering if I'm trying something too hard. I tend to have that aha
moment with things when I can 'see' how things work and I'm ok. With
this pattern I'm just stumped. And feeling dumb.

I'm ok if someone tells me to try another pattern. I just want something
simpler that I can finish for her as it's starting to get cool (Florida).

Thanks again everyone!

Wendy
remove the ferret to email me.

Old November 10th 04, 03:19 AM
Lynne

What specifically are you have a problem with, Maeven? I made a couple of
those ponchos two or three years ago.

I do see one small thing that might be confusing, although I don't remember
noticing it when I made them the first time. She doesn't specifically say
to do the chains, then join them with a slip stitch to form a ring before
going on to do the ch 3, dc in the next 2 ch, etc.

You are working in rounds, so after you do your chains, you need to slip
stitch in the first chain you made to form that ring which makes the neck
hole, ... then you work one round at a time from the neck downward.

If that's not the problem you're having, or if you are having another
problem, let us know what it is and someone can help you with it. It's not
a terribly difficult pattern, as long as you can get a picture of where you
are and where you are going.

- Lynne D.

Old November 10th 04, 04:45 AM
Kristen

I think there is a comma missing. It should be:

1st row: ch 84 join to form a ring, ch 3, dc in next 2 ch, ch 2, skp 2 ch,
{added comma after "ch 3"}

So you chain three (counts as first DC), then DC in next two chains, chain 2
and then skip two chains (you're leaving a space), then DC in next three
chains, chain 1, skip 1 ch in foundation chain, DC in next three foundation
chains, repeat four times that last part (in parentheses in the pattern)....

If that doesn't help make it any clearer than mud, huh? Good Luck!

~Kristen

Old November 10th 04, 10:30 AM
GSHEPDOG

I wanted to make a poncho for my three
year old and thought this pattern was awesome looking.

Hi:

One thing about this pattern is it is sized for a 7 to 8 year old child. It is
probably going to be too big for a three year old.
You may want to find a smaller pattern. If you do make this particular
pattern, do a swatch first to make sure you are not making it oversized.

HTH

Lee

Old November 10th 04, 01:31 PM
Seaspray

Hi,
I have also done this poncho. It works up easily in rounds which you must
join together with a slip stich at the end of each round. It is the kind of
pattern where it gets larger and larger as you go around. It did come out
quite large, so you can just decrease the number of chain stitches in the
beginning to make it smaller for a smaller child. This particular pattern
fit my 9 year old DD. I did put a shell stitch around the collar after I
was done to make the opening a little smaller and jazz it up a little.

Good luck with the poncho and let us know how it turns out.
http://home.inreach.com/marthac/poncho.html This is a link for many
ponchos. Just thought I would pass it along.

Diane