[Ganoksin] [Issue #133] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Old June 16th 05, 11:56 AM
Ganoksin

Default [Ganoksin] [Issue #133] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques
http://www.ganoksin.com

Imagine a world in which every person has free access to the sum of all
human knowledge. That's what we're doing. And we need your help.

Take action now and ensure that we can continue to provide the same
level of service you and thousands of people each day have come to
appreciate. With your financial support, the Orchid community will
continue to flourish and grow!

Please consider setting up an Orchid subscription account.

Donate: Safe, easy, secure!

http://www.ganoksin.com/donate

Thank You!
Hanuman

Orchid Dinner at SNAG Conference in Cleveland Announced

Attending the SNAG Conference in Cleveland?

Join us at The Orchid Dinner at SNAG Conference in Cleveland!

We have over 30 people committed so far to attend. If you have never
attended an Orchid Event, and are attending the SNAG Conference, this
is a GREAT way to meet your fellow Orchidians. Every year we have a
great time talking, sharing, show and tell, travel stories and jewelry
finds.

Orchidians and friends are all welcome to attend this event.

Organizer: Kenneth Singh of 46 Jewelry Supply

When:
Thursday, June 23rd, 7:15
Starts 7.15pm (the Hotel has a courtesy bus or share a ride with
someone.)

Whe
RockBottom Brewery Cleveland
http://www.digitalcity.com/cleveland...dp?sbid=131763

Dinner:
Italian Menu Chicken & Veal, Pasta, Salad, Dessert & Soft Drinks

Cost:
$35 Per person (Payment at the door)

Registration:
Simply Email Kenneth Singh at and we will include
you name on the list. Registration deadline - June 19th.

Hope to see you at there!
46 Jewelry Supply
46 West 46 St
New York, NY 10977

In This Edition:

1. The Jewelry of Sue Amendolara - Nature and Nurture
2. Characterization and Correction of Casting Defects
3. The Art of Tool Making
4. Foils: Fine Silver and 24K Gold
5. Full Bezel Setting for Cabochon Stones
6. Studio Visit - Cynthia Eid
7. Orchid Gallery - Jenifer Eustis
8. Orchid Gallery - Larry Seiger
9. Ganoksin Video Library - Quick Takes: PMC Basics

In This Edition of Tips From The Jeweler's Bench
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/tip_sear.htm

1. The Jewelry of Sue Amendolara - Nature and Nurture
By Marjorie Simon

Once upon a time, all art was about nature, the simplification or
elaboration of natural forms. Egyptians assembled leaves of the
thinnest gold and molded fruit in vividly colored glass into necklaces
and diadems. Ancient Greeks fashioned ears of wheat from beaten and
chased gold. Islamic prohibitions against showing the human face have
led to highly developed and abstracted plant imagery, and in Japan
Nature herself is sanctified....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...amendolara.htm

2. Characterization and Correction of Casting Defects
By Timothy L. Donohue and Dr. Helmut F. Frye, Ph.D.

Platinum casting defects are often very difficult to characterize due
to the intrinsic complexity of the investment casting process. All
defects will fall into one or more of the established seven categories
of casting defects. The proper identification of a particular defect is
the prerequisite to correcting and controlling the quality of platinum
castings. It is contended that a system of defect identification should
be based solely upon morphological criteria with no prior assumptions
relating to the cause of the defect. The nature of a casting defect can
only be determined by correctly categorizing the shape, appearance,
location and dimensions of the defect. The importance of a controlled
and comprehensive defect analysis program is advanced. Once
appropriately classified, the possible causes can be examined and the
corrective action can be taken.....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ng-defects.htm

3. The Art of Tool Making
By Steven O. Smith

There are two properties which distinguish a good tool from a bad one.
The tool must have the correct shape for the work which it is to do,
and the tool must be hard enough to last a long time. This class will
teach you to make tools hard enough to last without being so hard that
they are too brittle and break. Tool steel has three different states:
annealed, hardened and tempered. New steel comes annealed; the steel is
as soft and workable as it gets. Hardened steel is just the opposite,
as hard as it gets. Fully hardened steel is not useful as it is so hard
that it will break if struck (it is brittle). Tempering is the process
of removing some of the hardness. Tempering trades off toughness
against hardness....
Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/tool-making.htm

4. Foils: Fine Silver and 24K Gold
By Marianne Hunter

Marianne Hunter had been a painter and crafts explorer when she began
enameling in 1967. She is self-taught. After 12 years of discipline in
the grisaille technique, she turned to color and foils that gave her a
feeling of limitlessness. Her metalsmithing techniques are her own, the
necessity of concept driving the ability to execute. Everything about
her work is personal; it is driven by passionate yearning. Enamel work
has been her only employment since 1967....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/24k-gold-foil.htm

5. Full Bezel Setting for Cabochon Stones
By Gerald N. Lewy

One of the most basic designs in stone setting is "Bezel Setting". It
is so rudimentary in its concept. It is very pleasing to the eye also
in its simplicity. This concept blends with the smooth vertical shape
of the stone. There are no sharp corners, only gradual flowing lines to
conform to the stone. So now let us delve into this different style of
setting. A round bur that is re-shaped to have the same contours of the
"Cab" stone will enable you to perform and overcome any difficult bezel
setting procedure....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...el-setting.htm

6. Studio Visit - Cynthia Eid
By Claire Sanford

Consisting of three small rooms crammed with tooks, boxes, and books
(including a spare bathroom complete with shower stall/patina spray
booth), the studio is part and parcel of Eid's home. This is not a
grand sanctuary, it is the workspace of someone who has carved time and
place out of a full family life. By the confines of the available
square footage, the studio seems to have grown like a bonsai tree:
small yet fully formed. The bench space is painfully tiny and the
soldering area appears totally inadequate considering the scale of the
commissions Eid produces. But, whether it is through disciplined and
methodical work habits or by an ability to just "make do," Eid creates
pieces that defy this constriction and exist fully and beautifully in
large and magnificent spaces....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/cynthia-eid.htm

7. Orchid Gallery - Jenifer Eustis

For 14 years I have been creating Jewelry and Mixed Media Artwork. My
styles and techniques have developed and changed dramatically over the
years. I have been heavily influenced by the organic textures of nature
and also the heavy look of machinery. Although it does not show in most
of my work, I am greatly inspired by mid century furniture design. I
believe that in my designs, I take a bit of inspiration from each of
these things to create a piece uniquely my own....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/eustis.htm

8. Orchid Gallery - Larry Seiger

Since the age of five I've been surrounded by people who have made
their livelihood in the jewelry industry. It's been my profession for
almost 25 years and I've studied under master jewelers from Germany,
Italy and Ireland. The last 14 years I've been an independent studio
jeweler and the owner of the LS Hancock Jewelry Design Studio. I do
mostly commissioned work for upscale retail stores and individuals
across the US, but I also make time to do some high end craft shows and
sell through select galleries.

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/seiger1.htm

9. Ganoksin Video Library - Quick Takes: PMC Basics
By Tim McCreight

~ Carving Dry PMC - 1.15 min streaming video clip

One of the appealing things about PMC is the way it can be manipulated
like clay, but for some of us, the real fun is carving the PMC after it
is dry. This short video demonstrates how to form a ring blank then
carve it with files, just as we would carve wax. In this case, though,
there are no sprues, no investing, and no casting....

~ Making Joints with PMC - 1.02 min streaming video clip

Precious Metal Clay elements can usually be joined by simply pressing
the parts together. This short clip demonstrates edge, butt, and lapped
joints.....

~ Soldering onto PMC - 44 sec. streaming video clip

The original version of PMC was a bit tricky to solder, but PMC+ and
PMC3 are both as dense as traditional metals, so soldering is just like
working with traditional metals....

~ Torch Firing PMC - 1.42 min. streaming video clip

People who work in PMC all the time should really have a kiln, but for
folks who want to give it a try, the ability of PMC3 to be torch fired
is a huge advantage. This video is only a minute or two long, and it's
practically real-time....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/video/

Put an Orchid on your Bench

Join the most popular online community for jewelery makers, The Orchid
forums at http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid

The Ganoksin Project (http://www.ganoksin.com) is the largest virtual
single information source for searchable archived content for jewelry
and metals in the world. Its 5,500 Orchid members foster sharing,
support community, enhance productivity and encourage studio safety, by
promoting education in the jewelry and metal arts worldwide.