potholder loops from yarn

Old May 24th 04, 11:22 PM
RigPilot

Potholder Looms use _cloth_ loops. Sew a cotton/linen tube and slice =
into 1/8" wide to 1/4" wide loops. They are readily available for =
purchase at Michael's (NAYY) and through online craft supply sites.

It is much easier, however, to use *standard* Weaving Techniques and =
wrap the pegs with yarn. Using the little loom like a Knitting Rake/Loom =
or Giant Corker, you can make panels for scarves, shawls, =
blankets/afgans, totes/bags/purses, sweaters, slippers, placemats, =
belts, etc. Check for the Complete Klutz book series for their =
instruction/project book.

Search for info about Knitting Without Needles and use it like s Round =
Loom. Also look for info about Lap Looms. With a bit of creativity and =
patience, you will amaze yourself and others.

"Alan Winston" wrote in message =
I have been wondering if using a round knitting loom with just a =

few
rounds of thin yarn might make usable loops.

Old May 24th 04, 11:38 PM
Lynne

LOL, 'hadn't even made the connection that you were both named Noreen until
you said that.

My poor old mind, ... there it goes, ...

- Lynne D.

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:53:10 -0500, Lynne wrote:

Well, for garden seed, LOL!!!

Here 'comes:

http://www.crone-findlay.com/phtutorial.html

The sad thing, Noreen, is that all I had to do was click "paste" and it

was
there. I had already copied, ... just too danged old to remember to

follow
through and paste.

That's what I get for having a job and trying to divide my mind between

job
and fun at the same time. ;-)

Sorry, ...

- Lynne D.

LOL, and as an *aside* notation, *I* am not *that* Noreen!
Hugs,
Noreen J.
Noreen's Knit*che

--
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
http://noreensknitche.ceejaycee.net

Old May 25th 04, 12:06 AM
Slinky

Old socks make OK loops. Use a rotary (pizza-type) cutter. I prefer
to use the foot portions of terry-on-the-inside socks as it doesn't
seem to ravel as fast as the ribby tops do when made into loops.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 04:35:44 -0700, "Alan Winston"
wrote:

Potholder looms are great fun and a good introduction to weaving, but
have the frustration that they are dependent on loops and not easily
used with yarn.

I have been wondering if using a round knitting loom with just a few
rounds of thin yarn might make usable loops.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Old May 25th 04, 01:09 AM
Katherine

Alan Winston wrote:
I have been wondering if using a round knitting loom with just a few
rounds of thin yarn might make usable loops.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Not I, Alan. Why don't you give it a shot? You never know, you might
invent something new!

I was hoping someone with a little knowledge and experience might lead
the way.

There seem to be several sizes of round knitting looms, with at least
one vendor offering different peg pitches. What should I use to
create a loop that is a bit stretchy at 7" pin-to-pin across the
potholder loom?

Between that and figuring out what yarn to use ...

I suspect most of you have much larger collections of yarn than the
two skeins I bought the other day, and know more about the
characteristics than I ever will.

If I am not in fact reinventing the wheel, I'll plunge in on my own,
but I'll need to build up a little more gumption first.

You are probably right about our stashes, but I think that, since you know
what you want, you would be the best one to invent it.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Katherine

Old May 25th 04, 01:43 AM
JJMolvik

[...]

Alan

My only addition to this thread would be to make sure that the yarn (or
whatever) you use won't disintegrate or melt with heat. My first instinct
would be look for cotton or wool.

JM2C

JJMolvik

Old May 25th 04, 02:42 PM
Alan Winston

You are probably right about our stashes, but I think that, since you
know what you want, you would be the best one to invent it.

Oy.

Trial and error can be expensive though, and I just don't have the
money.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks.

Alan

Old May 25th 04, 02:43 PM
Alan Winston

My only addition to this thread would be to make sure that the yarn
(or whatever) you use won't disintegrate or melt with heat. My first
instinct would be look for cotton or wool.

Ja, that is already a problem with the commercial loops.

I am amazed that so many stores sell "potholder kits" with nylon or
similar loops. Some include warnings, but not all. But what is the point
of having a potholder that you can't use for some purposes? Who will
consistently remember that some of the potholders shouldn't be used on
stuff from the oven or objects over 350 degrees?

I've made a lot of "potholders" from nylon (et al) loops, but I consider
them coasters or decorative objects or pattern tests, not kitchen items.

Alan

Old May 25th 04, 02:43 PM
Alan Winston

Old socks make OK loops. Use a rotary (pizza-type) cutter. I prefer
to use the foot portions of terry-on-the-inside socks as it doesn't
seem to ravel as fast as the ribby tops do when made into loops.

Seems like an unlikely way to fill in specific missing colors in one's
loop selection, but I will try adding the sock bins to my thrift store
routine.

Alan

Old May 25th 04, 02:44 PM
Alan Winston

Potholder Looms use _cloth_ loops. Sew a cotton/linen tube and slice
into 1/8" wide to 1/4" wide loops. They are readily available for
purchase at Michael's (NAYY) and through online craft supply sites.

Huh. I have never seen a stitched cloth loop, only knitted sock cutoffs
or custom made knitted loops, both in a range of qualities and
characteristics. They are have often been labeled "jersey loops" -- more
so perhaps in the past.

The cheap loops sold at Michael's are toe cutoffs from white or brightly
colored nylon stockings or tights, packaged by Wool Novelty Co., Inc.
( http://www.weavingloops.com/ ).

It is much easier, however, to use *standard* Weaving Techniques and
wrap the pegs with yarn. Using the little loom like a Knitting
Rake/Loom or Giant Corker, you can make panels for scarves, shawls,
blankets/afgans, totes/bags/purses, sweaters, slippers, placemats,
belts, etc. Check for the Complete Klutz book series for their
instruction/project book.

"Easier" how?

Which Klutz book are you referring to? I have the potholder loom book,
and like it, but it is about loops, not "standard" weaving.

Search for info about Knitting Without Needles and use it like s
Round Loom. Also look for info about Lap Looms. With a bit of
creativity and patience, you will amaze yourself and others.

I have looked at lap looms and may end up with one. A Weave-It is
expected in the mail any day, and when I am ready, I have been offered
the loan of a table top loom. I think the latter may be too much for me.

I am mentally disabled, and having been doing the potholders as therapy.
I find it is best to not push "creativity" and to be cautious about
"patience" -- some types are fine, others just aren't there.

One of the things I have a big problem with is following instructions or
implementing a procedure.

I can know what to do and think I am doing it, but discover I have
actually done something else. I find potholder loom weaving to be a very
satisfactory match to my needs and abilities. Sequencing is pretty
straightforward, errors are relatively easily undone and corrected, and
stitch or thread counting is needed. The repetitive rhythmic activity is
very soothing and the project size is very nice for bringing me out of
an obsessive-compulsive trap every now and then.

Alan

Old May 25th 04, 02:45 PM
Slinky

If you find white wool socks you can dye them easily with food
coloring or Easter egg pills (which are just food coloring). Cotton
blend socks can also be dyed with food coloring but you need to add a
bit of washing soda to make the color take well on the cotton.

Need name of yarn Linda Yarn 8 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 03:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 04:30 AM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:19 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM