OT glasses

Old January 10th 04, 03:18 AM
Sarah Curry

Well, KEWL! I LOVE this, Butterfly!

Close to a year ago, I went into the eye-office for a new pair of
glasses (old ones were 7 or so years old, AND way-past wobbly).

Doc: Have you considered contacts?
Me: Wore them once, wore them well for 3 years, 40-lebben years ago,
loved them, but then couldn't wear them any more.

Doc: I said, have you considered contacts?
Me: Well, I did, several times, but since I'm legally blind (if my
vision weren't correctable) AND into bifocals (yes, the progressive kind
.... vanity, thy name is Sarah), and since lenses got SOFT, they don't work.

Doc: Well, they do, NOW!

He scurried off, his assistant poked new soft contacts into my eyes.

When he came back, I asked if he had some sort of DEAL with the plastic
surgeons in this town, to take care of the ol' bags who could now SEE
the ol' bags under their eyes (which the coke-bottle lenses had hidden,
before).

The doctor was not amused, for some unfathomable reason.

I walked into the office to get a pair of glasses. I walked out with
contacts (one eye for driving, one eye for close-work, although we still
have some work to do on that one -- still can't thread a needle (hand-
or machine) with the "close-up" eye ... but I CAN put on the old specs
(and then take them OFF and thread the needle with my nose right up to
the eye, as it were :-) ). Oh. And a pair of "Maui Jim" sunnies ...
the logo-boyz (my kids) were IMPRESSED ... :-)

But I didn't walk out before I found THE pair of frames ... yes,
absolutely, those cat-eyes (*I* looked good in them! :-) ), but with a
gunmetal-blue wire-frames (generally don't like wires -- probably my old
"wire frames are granny glasses" mindset, but it's MY face, and MY eyes
:-) ). Did I mention that I just FOUND the frames, didn't GET them?

Between the frames and the lard-gawdlemighty prescription I hafta wear
(adding in the bifocals, of course), those glasses woulda been TWICE
what Butterfly's were. I still DREAM about those frames.

Meanwhile, nobody seems to notice those under-eye bags but me, and I see
just fine ... and who KNEW that although the disposable lenses say
"dispose every two weeks" (which I did faithfully), one can wear these
things for a 'WAY-long time! (my office co-workers to, anyway :-) )

Grins,

Sairey in Las Cruces, NM (still lusting after those cat-eyes ... mebbe
someday :-) )

Butterfly wrote:

Went 'shopping' today. Bought my new glasses---full size frames (he felt
'sorry' for me and only charged 1/2 price for the frames $60.00)--beveled
edges---glare reduction tinted--not the 'from sun to shade
thingie'--progressive bifocals. They should be ready in 2 to 3 weeks.
NO fabric shopping for this gal for many moons......left $459.00 behind. 90
day warranty.
Nice thing--the frames FIT with a very MINOR adjustment : ) Now if we are
LUCKY the lenses will 'fit' the first time round, too ; )
Bad part---the New Ins doesn't COVER vision : (
And we talked extensively about Lasix eye surgery for next year for
me.......$3000.00 for both eyes and I might end up with reading
glasses----who knows what they will be able to do by next year : )

Butterfly (7 years of glasses )

Old January 10th 04, 03:39 AM
nana2b

I stopped wearing my Gas Perm lenses Dec 2002 in preparation for Lasik.
Since I have worn the lens for 34 years I had to wait 4 months for surgery.
I postponed making the appointment and finally came to the realization that
I am too chicken to risk it. Alot of my friends have had it and are very
happy, no complications, but my luck....... My doc suggested the soft
ones too. Monovision work great, but I go back to my bifocals for quilting.
My DDIL has been wearing them for years and even sleeps in them. Depending
on your eyes you can wear them longer than 2 weeks. Believe me you will
know, they feel kind of goopy is that a word?

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old January 10th 04, 03:45 AM
Polly Esther

Well, I was about to ask, although maybe with a bit more diplomacy, "Have
you considered contacts?". I used to wear one on the left for close-up and
one on the right for far away. (This is a very expensive drunk to get used
to. Takes about 3 days of staggering and missing your mouth with lipstick
and such. Oh my, it all comes back to me now. My doctor, are they all such
charmers ?, said, "For a woman Your Age, you will have to be highly
motivated." )
That was about 20 years ago. Contacts have improved immensely. So have
my eyes. I don't have to wear the far-vision one anymore. Cleaning them is
not a pain. You just toss them. Putting them in is not painful, they are
more like a piece of Jell-o than barbed wire.
You do have to close your eyes when you ride on a roller coaster. The
wind rushing in your face will dry out a contact lens. I wear goggles to do
that. Polly

Old January 10th 04, 08:56 AM
Jalynne

(gently snipped for brevity)

I got those new disposables last year...love them. I wear a pair for three months
and then throw them away. Soooo much better than all the stupid disinfecting,
scrubbing, weekly enzyme cleaning soaks, etc, that I had to do when I first got them.
And they're so much cheaper now than they used to be...wow!

Can't wait until I can do lasik. couple more years to wait yet....sigh.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old January 10th 04, 12:32 PM
Queen of Squishies

I'm so glad you got your new glasses, Butterfly! I know you were really
hoping too, and I was cheering you on, out here in the frozen cornfields.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old January 10th 04, 10:50 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
" Ellison" wrote:

Howdy!
Oh, beg pardon.
I stand corrected: you've been a 4-eyes longer than I have! G
How long does it take to get the new glasses on your face?
Remember when you used to have to wait for about 6 weeks?
Or was that only because I lived in way-south Texas (couldn't get
much souther) where everything took longer?
I love the way colors all of a sudden look clearer with new glasses,
the grass looks closer, the quilt stitches show up! G
Ragmop/Sandy--never did get contacts...

Isn't that the best. When you can see all those details you didn't
realize you'd been missing?

Wore glasses for a bit, contacts for years and got my eyes zapped with a
laser a couple years ago and still am excited to wake up and be able to
see the clock! It's just delightful to be able to see clearly all the
time.

marcella

Didymium Glasses - Questions starlia Beads 0 August 9th 04 11:54 PM
OT, broken glasses, nzl* Quilting 16 December 6th 03 01:16 AM
Small drinking glasses Tapper Doll Houses 3 October 16th 03 04:52 PM
Wish me Luck! New Glasses for Stitching Lynne M. Needlework 4 September 6th 03 05:57 PM
Collaging, Typewriter keys, watch glasses, etc. MaryJLind Beads 5 August 4th 03 08:52 PM