PING: Ellice.

Old August 2nd 10, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chemiker

Default PING: Ellice.

I finally found those horse hugs pics.

But: I lost your email addy, so after I scan them and correct for poor
exposure, I'll send them to you.

thanks for your patience.

Alex
Old August 3rd 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Aug 2, 2:00*pm, Chemiker wrote:
I finally found those horse hugs pics.

Horse hugs????

Joan
Old August 3rd 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chemiker

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 08:42:43 -0700 (PDT), "Joan E."
wrote:

On Aug 2, 2:00*pm, Chemiker wrote:
I finally found those horse hugs pics.

Horse hugs????

Joan

Yes. See her earlier post on nasty bosses, on a horse farm.

We went to email, and I described a Hungarian horse farm run in the
traditional *csiko* (think cowboy) style. One horse with foals, one
human associate for life. We saw the horses respond to commands like
"sit", "play dead", "hug me" and so on.

In "sit" they do just that, like a puppy. "Play dead" and they flop
over on their sides and go still. "Hug me" and they get behind the
rider, rear up on their hind legs and gently put their forelegs on his
shoulders, giving him a "hug".

I told her I thought we had the pix somewhere, and we finally found
them. I scanned them today and will send her "Sit", "play dead" and
"hug me" as well a shot of some of the traditional csikok (Cowboys).

ON topic: Csiko (chee'-ko)is the Magyar word for stripe. The word for
cowboy is csikos (chee'-kush), which mean "striped". This is because
the traditional cowboys there did not wear levi's, but blousey pans of
striped fabric, cut in the old Turkish style. The striped pants have
passed into history, but the cut of the garment and the name has
persisted.

Cheers,

Alex

Old August 3rd 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote:

[...]

The things I learn in this group never ceases to amaze me. Thanks from
someone who loves to learn.

Lucille

Old August 3rd 10, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chemiker

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 15:04:54 -0400, "Lucille"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Il n'ya pas de quoi. (It's nothing...)

Life is a tapestry, is it not? Many designs, many patterns, much
beauty. This NG is an avatar of life, as needlework has always
been.... a mirror of life.

Alex, still a Newbie ...

Old August 4th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Aug 4, 5:45*am, Karen C - California wrote:
Chemiker wrote:

Alex, still a Newbie ...

And those of us who value intelligence hope you'll stick around long
enough to be an oldie.

Please! Did I miss your introduction, Alex? If I didn't, why don't
you tell us a little about yourself? In fact, maybe it's time for
another round of "Who are we?" I'll start a new post for that.

Joan

Old August 4th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Aug 3, 2:04*pm, "Lucille" wrote:

The things I learn in this group never ceases to amaze me. * Thanks from
someone who loves to learn.

I totally agree!

Joan
Old August 4th 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

wrote:
[...]

Very interesting! I wonder if these were the forerunners of the
gauchos of South America? Especially since the style seems to be
similar.

I did a bit of googling...quite interesting!!!! Thanks!

Joan
Old August 4th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

wrote:
On Aug 2, 2:00*pm, Chemiker wrote:
I finally found those horse hugs pics.

Horse hugs????

Joan

Yes. See her earlier post on nasty bosses, on a horse farm.

We went to email, and I described a Hungarian horse farm run in the
traditional *csiko* (think cowboy) style. One horse with foals, one
human associate for life. We saw the horses respond to commands like
"sit", "play dead", "hug me" and so on.

In "sit" they do just that, like a puppy. "Play dead" and they flop
over on their sides and go still. "Hug me" and they get behind the
rider, rear up on their hind legs and gently put their forelegs on his
shoulders, giving him a "hug".

snip

Cheers,

Alex

I watched a program a few years ago where a horse trainer talked about
jumping up from the breakfast table after seeing one of the horses
fall over while running out in the pasture. As it turned out, they
had been training the horses, for movies, to run and fall as if shot
in battle. This particular horse apparently really liked that trick
and had begun doing it on his own - just for fun. :-)))))

Liz from Humbug
Old August 4th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chemiker

Chemiker wrote:

Alex, still a Newbie ...

And those of us who value intelligence hope you'll stick around long
enough to be an oldie.

Please! Did I miss your introduction, Alex? If I didn't, why don't
you tell us a little about yourself? In fact, maybe it's time for
another round of "Who are we?" I'll start a new post for that.

Joan

Not much to tell, really. I'm retired from the business of hospital
administration (logistics and management engineering). Trained in
science, B.S. CHemistry, M.A. Biology, all but dissertation (ran out
of time) for PhD in Comparitive Biochemistry. 70 years old, decidedly
male. Conservative in most things, especially investing.

Main hobbies are trading on the stock market, photography and cooking.
Married to SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed), whom I met in grad school.
My cooking interests are Central Europe, Eastern Med (including
Italian) and North African.

Four kids, all grown and married. Two are career army, both Lt. Col's,
one medical corps & the other a Ranger (Intelligence).

I live in SE Texas, close enough to Houston that I can shop there when
I wish. I live closer to the Johnson Space Center (NASA).

Love to travel and have been to Hungary twice. My interest in
embroidery/needlework arises from Hungarian traditional folklore
patterns. You can see samples on line by googling "Hungarian
embroidery". The best known pieces of requinal work are refered to as
Kalocsa (Kuh'-lo-CHa), named after the town, and Matyo (Mutt'-Yo,
Maht'-Yo), named for King Matthias I, who favored three towns (largest
is Mezokovezd) with free-autonomous region status during the 16th
century.

Incidentally, I don't use google directly. I use Dogpile (not what you
think), a meta-search engine that simultaneously searches Google, Ask,
Bing and Yahoo with all the proper syntaxes for each. See it at
Dogpile.com... it's free. Some samples of Kalocsa/Matyo work can also
be seen at magyarmarketing.com, a family owned importer of Hungarian
Products.

Hungarian blue work is also attractive. Once you see some Matyo and
Kalocsa embroidery, especially the stuff on a black background, I'd
like to point out that there is a Hungarian Reformed Church in the 300
block of Somerset Street, New Brunswick, NJ, whose front doors must be
seen to be believed. They appear to be dark bronze, with floral
designs cut into the doors. Not cut into the surface, but completely
through the doors, which are basically sandwiches made of heavy sheets
of metal. In the center of the "sandwich", stained glass is used to
fill the holes. From the interior of the church, the doors seem to
disappear and the flowers are backlit by the sun and seem to be
hanging in the air with no support. Each cutout, whether petals,
leaves or stems, receives its own proper color as in Matyo/Kalocsa
embroidery and the effect is truly stunning. The technique is a metal
equivalent of Central European vests, in which the outer cloth layer
is cut in decorative patterns to allow the contrasting backing cloth
to show through.

I have recently come into two sewing machines, a Brother XR7700 and a
Bernina 930, both in excellent condition. Building my toolbox, and
have just purchased my pizza cutters and cutting boards, various
fabrics, and decent scissors. Going to start with really simple stuff.
Would love to get a Bernina embroidery unit, but SWMBO has different
opinions at this point. I think it would be a blast to develop
software template programs from the Hungarian work and make them
available to people who are into folk-art embroidery. Maybe later.
Crawl first, then walk and then run.

That's about it. Everybody was a beginner once.

Alex

Ellice - Susan Hartman[_2_] Needlework 4 July 15th 10 01:30 PM
p.s. Ellice - thanks Susan Hartman Needlework 0 March 13th 09 06:36 PM
where's Ellice? Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen Needlework 4 April 7th 04 11:31 PM
From Ellice Cheryl Isaak Needlework 4 March 14th 04 05:22 PM