ISO (I hope that's still the acronym of choice...)

Old July 31st 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

Default ISO (I hope that's still the acronym of choice...)

wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 06:44:19 -0700 (PDT), Mary
wrote:

Waiting until the last possible moment to place a bid on EBay is
risky! Computers tend to "cough" or get cranky at the worst possible
time! It is much safer to use my method -- I decide the absolute
maximum I am willing to pay for an item, and put that in as my bid.
And then I forget it. If I get the item, fine. If I don't, that just
means somebody else was willing to bid more than my maximum. I do the
same with regular in-person auctions when I have someone on site
handle bidding for me.

I can only say it has always worked for me, though I should also add I
am using a reliable computer, have a reliable ISP. The problem with
doing it your way is that if someone else is mildly interested they
will start bidding until the bid is too high for them, or they lose
interest because it keeps getting rejected.

Whereas the way Cathy and I do it, nobody knows whether there is
interest, they may put on an acceptably low bid and forget it, but we
swoop in with minutes to go and get it.

My best scoop was a lovely, top quality, Royal Crown Derby cat that I
really liked. Someone had made one bid for $5.00 and I bid $5.51 at
the last moment and got him. It also helped the auction ended in the
middle of the night in the UK, late evening here. I am certain if I
had showed interest earlier on, the other bidder would have competed
with me.

There is a site (and I don't remember the url right now but it's
googleable) that will make last minute bids for you, then you are not
dependent on your computer. I used them once when the auction ended
after I was in bed, it worked, no probs.

That's exactly how I do it too, and I've purchased hundreds of items on
eBay. I've also used some of those third party bid sniping programs and
they work great! Honestly, that's how most people bid -- either in the last
seconds or using one of those programs. Plus, I want to get my item for the
lowest possible price, not for my maximum bid, so if I bid early on that
only gives someone else the opportunity to come around and bid me up to my
maximum. If they don't surpass it I end up paying my top dollar. The odds
of losing an item through getting overbid by bidding early are far greater
than the odds of losing an item due to a last minute computer malfunction
(which personally has only happened to me once). Thanks to eBay and last
minute bidding practices, I was able to complete my entire Teresa Wentzler
and P. Buckley Moss collections, and I didn't have to pay outrageous
"demand" prices for them!

Jinx

Old August 1st 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

wrote:

[...]

I been buying on Ebay since 1997....in 13 years I've never had a
"cough".
I agree totally with Jinx and Sheena. I have completed a few
collections this way...and cheaply!!
I have been know to set my clock and get up in the middle of the night
to do a little sniping!

If I someday have a cough and miss out on something...then I will
figure I wasn't meant to have it!

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA
Old August 1st 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lynoth

On Aug 1, 10:02*am, Cathy from KY in CA wrote:
On Jul 31, 8:31*am, "Jinx Minx" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Well, I put in an initial bid because no one else had and I was afraid
the seller would yank the auction (can they do that?) but someone
outbid me this morning and I'm letting it lie until 5 min before
auction ends

Thanks all for the advice!
Old August 2nd 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lynoth

On Aug 1, 1:06*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 11:53:37 -0700 (PDT), Lynoth
wrote:

On Aug 1, 10:02*am, Cathy from KY in CA wrote:
On Jul 31, 8:31*am, "Jinx Minx" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Be sure to let us know what happens.

in the final 6 minutes...my tummy hurts! I am so not a competitor.....

3.5 minutes, I'm the high bid at $2.76...

aaaaaand...it's MINE MINE MINE MINE! $2.76 + shipping, yay!!!!!

Thank you all for your tips and advice!!!!

Me
Old August 2nd 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chemiker

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:03:37 -0700 (PDT), Lynoth
wrote:

Hello ladies (and gents!)

Many many many moons ago, my mother bought me a wonderful counted
cross leaflet. A few years ago I lost it in a fire in my apartment
building, along with 20 years or so of carefully hoarded...er,
gathered...supplies and patterns. Unfortunately, I have not been able
to replace that particular book because I in my supreme ditziness have
no clue what it was called! There were three mythical pattens - a
dragon (possibly copper) with a really magnificent beaded neckpiece, a
white unicorn, and a (really very good) gryphon. Have any of you by
any chance seen this booklet and know what it is called and/or know
where I can purchase a (legal) copy?

It's so good to find this group again! I was a lurker, oh at least a
decade ago, and I think of this place often, particularly as I frog my
way through one mistake or another.... P

OK, it went for $2.76 PLUS s&h. k***h beat out o***a in the last
minutes. Did you win?

Alex
Old August 2nd 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chemiker

wrote:

OK, it went for $2.76 PLUS s&h. k***h beat out o***a in the last
minutes. Did you win?

Oooops, just got your post! Congratulations on your victory. The price
seems like a steal. SALUD!

Alex, raising one in your honor.
Old August 2nd 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Yippie for Lynoth! was ISO (I hope that's still the acronymof choice...)

On 8/1/10 10:46 PM, in article
, "Lynoth"

Old August 16th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lynoth

On Jul 28, 5:03*pm, Lynoth wrote:
Hello ladies (and gents!)

Many many many moons ago, my mother bought me a wonderful counted
cross leaflet. *A few years ago I lost it in a fire in my apartment
building, along with 20 years or so of carefully hoarded...er,
gathered...supplies and patterns. *Unfortunately, I have not been able
to replace that particular book because I in my supreme ditziness have
no clue what it was called! There were three mythical pattens - a
dragon (possibly copper) with a really magnificent beaded neckpiece, a
white unicorn, and a (really very good) gryphon. *Have any of you by
any chance seen this booklet and know what it is called and/or know
where I can purchase a (legal) copy?

It's so good to find this group again! *I was a lurker, oh at least a
decade ago, and I think of this place often, particularly as I frog my
way through one mistake or another.... P

*GRIN* he arrived! He's actually not as cool as I remembered, his
edges are a little jagged lol but I'm still so happy to have him back
in my collection just for the sentimental meaning.

Thanks to all who helped me find him and cheered me on as I bid for
him!

Lyn
Old August 17th 10, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/16/10 11:57 AM, in article
, "Lynoth"
wrote:

On Jul 28, 5:03*pm, Lynoth wrote:
[...]

Hurrah for you!

Acronym question Heidi Quilting 15 March 9th 08 11:31 PM
OT - Totally my new favorite acronym! Kalera Beads 14 June 22nd 06 06:49 AM
S.E.X. and other acronym Truebedoo Quilting 3 January 7th 06 03:56 PM
New acronym! Diana Curtis Quilting 41 April 3rd 04 04:21 PM
New acronym for us to use -- PIGS zo Quilting 31 August 1st 03 03:01 PM