Market for imperfect gemstones?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 4th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Graver

Default Market for imperfect gemstones?

On Mar 1, 3:48*am, Jman wrote:
On Feb 27, 9:03*pm, "Don T" wrote:

*http://www.original-diamonds.com/edu...e_diamonds.php

*These are the browns that come from Australia. Several links on that page
that I didn't explore but after several postings no-one seemed aware of the
Australian browns and the marketing strategy which changed rather common and
not so desirable brown stones into a good profit scheme.

--

Don Thompson
...snip...

Hmmmm, that is rather odd. *Some of the pricing structure of different
vendors is waaay off the map, it seems. *I found a few of the 'raw
diamonds' that I was looking for (locally) and they wanted an arm and
part of a leg for them..... *I don't believe I'll be using them for a
project in the very near future due to their present cost. *I think
maybe I'll head on over the the Lapidary shop and pick up some
different types of rock and stones to experiment with instead. *It's
mind boggling how many stones, metals and rocks are available in those
places now....

Cheers,

/FC....

Hello Everyone,

I just saw a topic on the Discovery Channel about the company in
Fla. called Gemesis, which by the way has been producing manmade
diamonds for a few years now, has found a way to produce a diamond
that is 100 times harder then a natrual diamond. They can grow the new
stone which is about five carats in six hours. These stones are going
to be more suited for cutting tools and also electronic components,
but it won't be long before manmade diamonds are able to compete in
the market place. The company already grows a yellow diamond that is
nondetectable from a real one. Diamond prices have been falling for
about a year as Russia and Canada bring top quality stones into the
market. It's only a mater of time before Debeers is going to lose it's
monopoly on diamonds.

Mark

Cut Your Own Gemstones Dave[_3_] Beads 0 October 17th 07 11:36 PM
Apology to Jane Kay and thoughts on imperfect blocks- long Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 24 March 21st 07 04:01 PM
Gemstones for Sale Tking Marketplace 0 October 6th 06 02:44 AM
Can some gemstones be glued together? George Jewelry 3 February 2nd 04 07:47 AM
ROUGH & CUT Gemstones K. J. Marketplace 0 January 18th 04 07:10 AM