Throwing - out of center - why?

Old September 28th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

Default Throwing - out of center - why?

Hi

Okay - I have started throwing on my wheel again. But I keep getting these
LUMPS of clay that seem like they are weighted on one side, even though I
have spiral wedged them for at least 10-15 minutes before splitting them up
into about half-kilo pieces, making those into balls by slapping them - and
TRYING to get the things centered.

This is getting really annoying, and I wonder if any of you understand what
I mean and have some kind of way to cope with the problem.

Looking forward to some replies. I am not going to go near that wheel for a
few days now, since it is just getting me annoyed.

Marianne

Old September 28th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Coggins

Hi Bubbles, does this happen when centring ? or when you are opening up ?,
or maybe pulling up the clay??
It could be you are moving your hands too quickly to the clay or away from
the clay, try smaller lumps of clay to warm up with first, I find a warm ups
works for me and it is relaxing when not aiming for a specific shape.
I hope this helps, don't give up,
Yours in clay art Elaine.

Old October 1st 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"Elaine Coggins" wrote in message
Hi Bubbles, does this happen when centring ? or when you are opening up ?,
or maybe pulling up the clay??
It could be you are moving your hands too quickly to the clay or away from
the clay, try smaller lumps of clay to warm up with first, I find a warm
ups works for me and it is relaxing when not aiming for a specific shape.
I hope this helps, don't give up,
Yours in clay art Elaine.

Hi Elaine :-)

It is happening as I am trying to center. It is as if there is a blob of
heavier clay on one side of the piece. I am sticking to pieces of about 500
grams still - that is around a pound, I think! Not very big. I am still at
the stage where I kind of go where the clay leads me. I try to pull up into
a cylindar and then work from there.

I am going to video tape this in the near future and post it to YouTube, so
people can see what my problem is. So difficult to explain in words!

I am very careful about removing my hands too fast.

Marianne

Old October 1st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Coggins

Hi Bubbles
I will look forward to seeing the video, it may give a bit more info that
way as to what is going on.
The other thing I have learned over the years of potting is to show the clay
who is boss.
Also, as you know it must be really be cantered before opening the clay and
pulling up.

( Girl We Will Get To The Bottom Of This Problem )
:- ) Elaine.

"

Old October 1st 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
steve [email protected]

a friend of mine had a similar problem & we discussed wedging, arm
bracing, etc. it wasn't until she brought over her plastic bat that we
saw the problem. her injection molded plastic bat had ridges in the
underside that put a quiver into the pieces as you'd try to center it.
she threw away the bats, got clean old flat ones & the centering
problem went away...

see ya

steve

Old October 1st 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Pierre Brayford

Hi,

I have seen this happen when the clay is too firm. Try using softer clay -
not so soft that it is sticky - it might be that you have to use clay that
is too soft to pull up into really thin walls at first but as you become
more used to centering you will be able to deal with firmer clay.

best wishes
Pierre

Old October 2nd 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
steve [email protected]

pierre - i just saw that happening today. i ws throwing some rather
stiffer clay out of the bag. sure puts up a fight & my wrists are not
what they used to be.

see ya

steve

Old October 10th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default arthritis

I found that I had arthritis a few years ago. The pain was excruciating.
First doctor prescribed pain killers that did nothing, the second opinion
came from a friend who is a doctor that specializes in immune disorders and
he told me to try Glucosamine. I can't tell you how well this worked. I
recommend that any potter or person dependent on their hands pass the age of
40 consider it as a supplement. It keeps your joints from degenerating and
helps out once they do.

ups.com...