Copyright Question OT

Old May 28th 04, 05:48 AM
LEPFAN1

Default Copyright Question OT

Ok, this is off topic, but you guys know EVERYTHING. Can a person copyright
their name? I know you can copyright your likeness (like Elvis), but you can't
keep other people from using your name (well unless it's to commit fraud). Here
is the scenario: I'm in a club that races R/C cars, we want to hold a race in
memorium for an R/C pioneer that has died. We want to call it by his name (ex:
John Smith Memorial Race), but his widow says we cannot do that without her
permission. I don't think that is right. Even if his name was copyrighted
wouldn't it become null and void upon his death? Anyone?

Thanks,

Lori
Lori

"To the world you might be one person but to one person you just might be the
world" -unknown
Old May 28th 04, 06:56 AM
J. Koster

On 5/27/04 9:48 PM LEPFAN1 is reported to have said the following:

Ok, this is off topic, but you guys know EVERYTHING. Can a person copyright
their name? I know you can copyright your likeness (like Elvis), but you can't
keep other people from using your name (well unless it's to commit fraud). Here
is the scenario: I'm in a club that races R/C cars, we want to hold a race in
memorium for an R/C pioneer that has died. We want to call it by his name (ex:
John Smith Memorial Race), but his widow says we cannot do that without her
permission. I don't think that is right. Even if his name was copyrighted
wouldn't it become null and void upon his death? Anyone?

Thanks,

Lori

"To the world you might be one person but to one person you just might be the
world" -unknown

No, names cannot be copyrighted. And I don't know whether or not you
would need the widow's permission, however, if she objects, why would
you not respect her wishes?

Joan

--
Gone fibernatin'.
Old May 28th 04, 12:11 PM
Caryn

Even if his name was copyrighted
wouldn't it become null and void upon his death? Anyone?

Thanks,

Lori

"To the world you might be one person but to one person you just might be

the
world" -unknown

No, names cannot be copyrighted. And I don't know whether or not you
would need the widow's permission, however, if she objects, why would
you not respect her wishes?

Joan

--

Names can be trademarked however. Case in point: Dale Earnhardt: when his
name appears as a signature, logo or with his number, there is a trademark

And Copyrights do survive their owner by 75 years (or is it 50? No coffee
yet....).

But I'd definitely follow the wishes of his widow, it's just the nice thing to
do.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old May 28th 04, 03:04 PM
Felice Friese

"LEPFAN1" wrote in message
[...]

Answering your question with another question, if you thought enough of the
man to want to honor him, why would you want to do so against his widow's
wishes?

Felice

Old May 28th 04, 04:14 PM
Johanna Koski

Walt Disney has been dead for decades. Try to use a Disney image for anything.

That's different. They've got "mickey mouse" copyrighted to somewhere
2020 or so. And other characters too..

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski
Finland, Europe
Old May 28th 04, 06:12 PM
Lara H

In article , Johanna Koski
wrote:

Walt Disney has been dead for decades. Try to use a Disney image for

anything.

That's different. They've got "mickey mouse" copyrighted to somewhere
2020 or so. And other characters too..

I believe some of those are trademarks, not copyright. Two different ballgames.

lara

Photographer - editor - writer

Embellished Squ. Stitch Bracelet (was Sooz's Work) Stephanie Beads 96 February 4th 05 11:49 PM
Question about count Amberinauburn Needlework 22 April 21st 04 12:09 AM
Copyright Question Rhea Needlework 9 January 20th 04 01:54 PM
Hi! Question about copyright laws Xstitxher Needlework 5 December 6th 03 05:36 AM
Are people interested in embroidered replicas of famous art? George Needlework 14 November 27th 03 05:00 PM