Fav yarn for aghans

Old November 6th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

Default Fav yarn for aghans

What is your favorite yarn for afghans?

--
-Cozy

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=cozy_at_home

Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*

Old November 6th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Craftkitten

I think my favour yarn for afghans is Red Heart as I buy it in 454 or
1000 gram balls of yarn.

Darlene
(Craftkitten)

Old November 6th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

Carol and CraftKitten, do you mean the Redheart Super Saver or a different
one they have out? I'm making one of it right now, and it is a bit tough,
but my sample block softened up quite a bit. The other yarns I'm looking
at feel softer, but they also don't seem to have much weight to them, and
the sample blocks I made of them feel way too light and I wonder if they
would make chilly afghans. But, I'm so inexperienced at all this that I
can't say how they will feel finished or after washing - better or even
thinner feeling. I liked the way the Bernat Super Value felt better, for
softness, but it felt too lightweight, at least in the one pattern I was
looking at it for. Also, I've looked at the TLC Essential and it seems too
skinny looking as I'm using it. I also notice that the Redheart SS white
is more pure white than any other brand, and I'm making a snowflake afghan.

--
-Cozy

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=cozy_at_home

Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*

t...

Old November 6th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 01:22:10 GMT, "cozyhomelife"
wrote:

What is your favorite yarn for afghans?

I haven't made a great many afghans, but the nicest, softest one I
ever made was crocheted with a Plymouth worsted weight yarn.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old November 6th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Craftkitten

Hi

The balls of yarn that I am using and have used are both Redheart
Supersaver and also Redheart Comfort. I have found that different
colours have a different texture. I have also used TLC for some of the
afghans that I have used.

I hope this helps you out.

Darlene
(Craftkitten)

Old November 6th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"cozyhomelife" wrote in message
t...
What is your favorite yarn for afghans?
--
-Cozy

Pretty much any worsted weight acrylic because the few afghans I've done
were for my daughter's family. At that house, everything has to be machine
washable and dryable.

I crocheted one afghan using 3 strands of yarn - it was in a forest green
and black, and the pattern was wonderful. The afghan looked really good -
my son-in-law got that one. You can see it here, however, it's not a great
pictu
http://tinyurl.com/yy2wdv

Shelagh

Old November 6th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

Wow, 3 strands, that sounds like it would be hard on the wrist and
fingers/thumb to pull all that thru! It turned out well though, and a
great guy theme! Sure, or gal, but plenty of things are good for gals that
guys would not want to be caught under, so guys need something more specific
that won't offend their manliness, ha, ha. Thanks for sharing the pic

Old November 7th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"cozyhomelife" wrote in message
.. .
Wow, 3 strands, that sounds like it would be hard on the wrist and
fingers/thumb to pull all that thru!

It wasn't that bad, especially since the hook was huge - a P or a Q - don't
remember. Needless to say, it didn't really take all that long to make. ;)

It turned out well though, and a
great guy theme! Sure, or gal, but plenty of things are good for gals

that
guys would not want to be caught under, so guys need something more

specific
that won't offend their manliness, ha, ha. Thanks for sharing the pic

Apparently half the family cuddles under it when watching TV. ;)

S.

Old November 7th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

wrote:

What is your favorite yarn for afghans?

I haven't made a great many afghans, but the nicest, softest one I
ever made was crocheted with a Plymouth worsted weight yarn.

--
Barbara Vaughan

I made an afghan in squares with my sister using Plymouth Encore yarn
(worsted weight.) It's 25% wool, 75% acrylic and is machine-washable
and -dryable which was important to us. It has a very nice feel and
comes in lots of colors.

Alison
Old November 7th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

I use any fine acrylic yarn that I would use for a sweater -- certainly
NOT Red Heart! In comparing the final products with friends who use
Red Heart we find that afghans made with a top quality yarn, though
more expensive, have a nicer feel and better appearance. In the long
run, my afghans last much longer, too. So I personally think the price
difference is well worth it! Red Heart variegated is excellent for
potholders, however!

Need name of yarn Linda Yarn 8 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 03:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 04:30 AM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:19 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM