Greetings again!

Old August 12th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Terri

Default Greetings again!

To cut to the chase and exclude the harrowing saga of our return to
Idaho from Louisiana we are unpacked, in our home, re-acquainting
ourselves with our grandchildren and I've been putting a serious dent in
my quilting stash lately.
A couple of them are shown he
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...hiteBowtie.jpg
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...nkeyPuzzle.jpg
A notation on the making of the Salvadoriesque Monkey Puzzle, as I call it
due to the glaring mistakes not noticed until the quilting was almost
over: When the directions warn one to make *sure* you put each and every
single piece up on a design wall *before* you sew the darn thing together,
DO IT!
Heh.
I swear this little sucker was the hardest darn thing I've pieced together
to date and about drove me crazy.

In not so wonderful news, I have lost both of my beloved GSD's Luke in
Jan. and Mojo in June. Not having a Shepherd in my life for the first time
in almost a decade has hit us fairly hard and it's been a very difficult
adjustment. Taffy is a very nice, sweet little dog but she's no Shepherd.

--
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy
Old August 12th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article , Terri
wrote:

To cut to the chase and exclude the harrowing saga of our return to
Idaho from Louisiana we are unpacked, in our home, re-acquainting
ourselves with our grandchildren and I've been putting a serious dent in
my quilting stash lately.

Welcome back!

A couple of them are shown he
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...hiteBowtie.jpg
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...nkeyPuzzle.jpg

Very pretty, Terri.

A notation on the making of the Salvadoriesque Monkey Puzzle, as I call it
due to the glaring mistakes not noticed until the quilting was almost
over: When the directions warn one to make *sure* you put each and every
single piece up on a design wall *before* you sew the darn thing together,
DO IT!
Heh.
I swear this little sucker was the hardest darn thing I've pieced together
to date and about drove me crazy.

Okay, I had to search to find the mistakes -- only found two, and they
weren't easy to see. Call them design decisions -- who's gonna know?

In not so wonderful news, I have lost both of my beloved GSD's Luke in
Jan. and Mojo in June. Not having a Shepherd in my life for the first time
in almost a decade has hit us fairly hard and it's been a very difficult
adjustment. Taffy is a very nice, sweet little dog but she's no Shepherd.

I'm so sorry, Terri! It's so hard to lose even one QI, but losing two so
close together must be a crushing blow. Are you going to get another
shepherd?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 12th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise

Glad you're back home safely and having good times with the grandkids! I'm
really liking your bowtie - could be because I'm enhancing my neutrals stash
to do a quilt in various shades of cream, beige, etc. And I think your
design decisions in the monkey puzzle are just fine - and don't let anyone
tell you otherwise!

So sorry to hear about the loss of your pals. I know how empty your life can
feel without them.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old August 12th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I made a tessellation using the same pattern as your Monkey Puzzle but
with only two colors. I had the quilt ready to send to the quilter but
took the time to show it to my then eight year old son. He asked why
that one block was turned in the opposite direction from all the
others! Even if you put them on the design wall, as I had, you must
sew them together properly. Of course the wrong block was not along an
edge but in the center of the quilt. I fixed it but said a few words
under my breath. To this day, 18 years later, my son will inspect my
finished tops just in case.

Susan

Old August 12th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Oh they are yummy! I love the coffee and cream one because it would look
beyoutiful on my bed!! lol
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old August 12th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr

Oooh, oooh!! Love the brown quilt! I've been collecting browns to make
a quilt, maybe paper-pieced brown hearts. Or birds. Thanks for the
inspriation!

Kay Ahr in NV

- - - - -

Old August 13th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Terri

"Louise" wrote in

Glad you're back home safely and having good times with the grandkids!
I'm really liking your bowtie - could be because I'm enhancing my
neutrals stash to do a quilt in various shades of cream, beige, etc.

I'd been seeing a neutral quilt in beiges and browns for quite some
time now. I started laying in the colors a year ago and every time I
reached for them colors I made myself back off and go use something
else. I find I'm drawn to the two tones and simple geometric patterns
more than any other.
And before I forget, this is something entirely different from that
I made as a house warming gift for my SIL. They are the last relatives
to leave New Orleans so now I don't have to worry about any family
members down there in harms way.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...ges/Aprons.jpg
I ran across this in a magazine and just had to make it. The pattern
was inspired by the aprons women used to wear in the 1940's and
the embellisments are all items given to me by my SIL.
She loved it.

And
I think your design decisions in the monkey puzzle are just fine - and
don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

So sorry to hear about the loss of your pals. I know how empty your life
can feel without them.

Today has been an especially bad day for that.
Thank you.

Old August 13th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article , Terri
wrote:

Sandy Foster wrote in
:

In article , Terri
wrote:

I swear this little sucker was the hardest darn thing I've pieced
together to date and about drove me crazy.

Okay, I had to search to find the mistakes -- only found two, and they
weren't easy to see. Call them design decisions -- who's gonna know?

You're too kind.
I see them first thing every time I turn down the hallway.

Of course you do -- it's your quilt, so you see everything right away.
But the rest of us don't.

I'm so sorry, Terri! It's so hard to lose even one QI, but losing two so
close together must be a crushing blow. Are you going to get another
shepherd?

I honestly don't know at this point. It's just too raw, too soon.

{{{Hugs}}} I know what you mean. Tuppence died in November, and I'm only
just now starting to think that getting another little dog (as opposed
to our larger lab mix, Dexter) would be nice. Just give it time.

Old August 13th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise

Love those aprons! I've been trying to decide what I might make for my DSIL,
and that might be it! She just opened a new business - one of the places
where you go to prepare meals that you then take home to freeze until you're
ready to eat them. In addition, she's always worn an apron at all family
gatherings (as opposed to the rest of us who just wipe our hands on our
pants!), and something like this apron quilt would be just perfect for her.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old August 13th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

"Terri" wrote in message

In not so wonderful news, I have lost both of my beloved GSD's Luke in
Jan. and Mojo in June. Not having a Shepherd in my life for the first time
in almost a decade has hit us fairly hard and it's been a very difficult
adjustment. Taffy is a very nice, sweet little dog but she's no Shepherd.

--
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy
****...what a ride!"

I can sympathize, Terri. My Grizz has been gone a few months now and I still
miss him, as annoying as he could be sometimes... there is something about
Shepherds...
Welcome back!
Debi