Bias binding gadget

Old August 12th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sarah Dixon

Default Bias binding gadget

Does anyone have a gadget to make bias binding? Can you use it with
straight cut strips to make it easier to make bindings?

Thank you

Sarah
Old August 12th 06, 10:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Yes - those "gadgets" work with both bias and straight cut
strips.

I have never used them for binding as I prefer a double
mitre binding on most quilts, but there is no reason they
wouldn't work.

HTH.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"Sarah Dixon" wrote in message
: Does anyone have a gadget to make bias binding? Can you
use it with
: straight cut strips to make it easier to make bindings?
:
: Thank you
:
: Sarah

Old August 12th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Sarah Dixon wrote:

Does anyone have a gadget to make bias binding? Can you use it with
straight cut strips to make it easier to make bindings?

Thank you

Sarah

Yes, and yes: but get the biggest for quilt bindings!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 12th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

In quilting, Sarah, there's not much need for it. All you're going to do
is fold the strip so the cut edges meet and press. This is the sturdiest
binding and that's where the quilt gets heavy wear. I have the gadget but
only get it out for binding baby sleeves. In fact, I'm usually through
pressing binding long before I even think of the gadget. Translation - if
someone wants to give you one, take it but it's probably not worth rushing
out to buy one. Polly

Old August 12th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

I use the 1" model to make single binding for wallhangings. It uses a 1-7/8"
strip. Join all the fabric strips at a 45-degree angle first to reduce bulk,
then just run the whole thing thru the tape maker and press as it comes out,
then fold pressed binding in half and press again. Works like a charm. I use
the binding clips to secure the binding to the quilt, then machine sew both
sides to the quilt in one go. On the corners, I use a pin to sweep one edge
under the other on both sides, which forms a nice miter.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old August 13th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sarah Dixon

I think I'll ask for one for my birthday. I hate ironing so anything
that makes ironing easier would be good. I'm still trying to explain to
DH that the iron doesn't work on clothes!

Thank you

Sarah
Old August 13th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I love mine, Sarah. I have several widths. Make sure that you put the
size you want on your list, along with the request!! The go from a
quarter of an inch to ? (at least an inch, but I think more).
..
In message , Sarah
Dixon writes
I think I'll ask for one for my birthday. I hate ironing so anything
that makes ironing easier would be good. I'm still trying to explain
to DH that the iron doesn't work on clothes!

Thank you

Sarah

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 13th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sarah Dixon

strict instructions are always a good idea! DS1 is convinced that I
would like a Bob the Builder remote controlled car ! What I really want
is a remote control that works with small boys!

Sarah
Old August 13th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Please tell him that *I* would really like a Bob the Builder remote
controlled car g
(wonder what he'd say to that he-he)
..
In message , Sarah
Dixon writes

Old August 13th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

Oh my goodness! If they ever come up with a remote control for little
boys - PLEASE let me know. That's what we need for our monster great
grandson. I'm sure just one control could keep him under control, however!
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com