A funny thing happened on the way to a fabric order....

Old August 10th 06, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Default A funny thing happened on the way to a fabric order....

Well I have my order finally. It is been so frustrating, I may as
well mention the shop - Bear Paw Quilting. I know several of you will
stand up and say "They've been great for me!" and that's nice. It
wasn't great for me.
I ordered 8 yards of fabric back in June. Most shops can get that
much, or thereabouts, into one global priority mailer, so I expected
to pay $9 or $10 shipping and have done with it. They contacted me to
ask if I wanted insurance... .wasn't sure about that, no one usually
offers me insurance with an online order, so succumbing to doubt I
said "yes". Ah. Then it was put to me that I couldn't have it in a
global priority mailer, it would have to be Parcel Post. Right. What
I didn't know is the cost ....
So the fabric was $52.34, the shipping was $25.30, the insurance was
$2.60 I think, and there is another charge for $27.90 for which I
still am clueless. There have been many heated emails exchanged
between me and the shop, and I still don't understand it all. So on
top of this $108.14, I was given a £31.52/$58 customs fee.... bringing
the total to $166 for 8 yards of fabric. That's $20 a yard. I should
have bought batiks. Or silk. Or woven gold. What I won't be doing
is shopping from this store again. It's been confusing and I didn't
like the tone of the emails I received either.
Just warning folks out there. I know most of you aren't ordering
"internationally" but some do. Other shops such as
www.bighornquilts.com , and www.fabricshack.com have always had
consistently good service. I'll confine my orders to the tried and
tested stores now.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 10th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
zzzzzzz

Have you ever ordered from Virginia Quilter? They are fast and
efficient and carry a huge selection. I know they ship internationlly.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old August 10th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Johanna Gibson wrote:

[...]

Ouch! Didn't they explain anything at all about the charges? I've never
ordered from them, so I can't say anything either way about their
service, but it does seem a tad high....
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 10th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

There are dozens of places that ship internationally, but be
careful that they use Global Priority. Some (fabric.com
springs to mind) insist on using Air Mail because it is
easier for them to throw everything into one big box. The
Air Mail cost can be really scary.

Most places manage to get about 5 yards into a GP envelope.
Equilter once crammed in 6 yards but the envelope split and
I got a note that next time I would be charged extra
postage. I usually assume 5 yds for about US$9-50 (or about
US$2 per yard) to Australia. For books and patterns some
places use the GP boxes (4lbs for US$20) but this is not
usually the best option for fabric.

I know not to order more than a certain amount so I do not
attract the attention of the kindly Customs Officer. I know
the limit on this for UK is very low so that's why you got
hit with duty. You need to find out what the max value is
before duty applies (I remember Pat telling me a while ago
and while I don't remember the amount I do recall it was
VERY low). For Aust it is about AUS$200 I think - could be
more - so I keep my orders below US$150 plus shipping to be
safe.

I found out the hard way about all this. A few years ago I
ordered for a group and the AUS$500 worth of goods was
shipped surface mail for almost the same cost as multiple GP
packs, took three and a half months to get to me, and was
held at the PO until I paid over AUS$150 in duty.

BTW - I have bought from Bear Paw with no problems in the
past and would deal with them again.
--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

:
:
:
: -- Jo in Scotland

Old August 10th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:28:10 +1000, "Cats" wrote:

[...]

From what I can work out, I was charged twice for the shipping.
This (wrong) amount was put in the "value" box and then UK customs
took account of that number + shipping. So I was slammed for customs
because of *three* times the amount of shipping. Other places are
more sensible and write the value of the fabric in the value box. The
stickers from the post office, etc are clearly visible for UK customs
to then work it all out.
Fabric.com is one I don't deal with anymore because they won't ship
via Global Priority, and now it will be a very cold day in hell before
I deal with Bear Paw Quilting. They have said they will refund the
$27.90 overcharge - that doesn't help the customs fee I just paid to
get the fabric, does it? Nowhere in this process have they realized
that it wasn't just the overcharge, it was the way everything was
written on the parcel that made me get an enormous customs fee. I get
more sense out of my cat.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 10th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Have you tried arguing with the customs office? I've done this successfully
(in Denmark I admit). You certainly have a valid case! Write them a letter
with copies of all the relevant documents and see what happens.
Roberta in D

"Johanna Gibson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

From what I can work out, I was charged twice for the shipping.

Old August 10th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

So sorry you had such trouble Jo. I got 30 FQ from Backforty.com and they
were crammed into a global priority envelope.Good service and no extra
hidden charges, also arrived within the week!

Old August 10th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Dear Jo,

Some places do this when shipping from the US to Canada. Depends on
how many brain cells firing together in the shipping department...and
there are places that I won't order from as they gouged me like this
once.

USPS has a Global Flat Rate for $9.00 that is a small box, not the
Global Priority envelope. There is also a Flat Rate box for more
weight for about $16.00. Boxes are free, but they do not sit out, you
have to ask for one when you go to mail stuff.

Too bad the shipping staff didn't know this. Maybe some quilting
people are more able to ask for the best deal for foreign places.
Also, when you go to quiltshops.com you can sort of estimate the size
of the business on the FAQ pages before you order from them. It does
make a difference.

Irene (who has ceased to travel for a while) in T.O.

Well I have my order finally.

Old August 10th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:19:10 GMT, Sandy Ellison
wrote:

Howdy!

Funny? I ain't laughing.

Ya' know, Jo, and many of you others across the ponds/borders,
quite a few of us US-ans would be happy to shop for you, send the
pkg thru' regular over-seas mail and trust you to repay us.
Like Cat wanting this fabulous Nancy J Martin book (Make Room for Quilts)
that I mentioned, and if Sandy F had not stepped up to say "I'll help!",
this Sandy would have. 'Cause that's part of the fun of being w/
this crazy RCTQ bunch. When we planned our Germany trip a year ago
(already a year ago?!!!??) the first person I contacted was RobertaZ,
then I asked, "What can I bring you?" and she asked for some
seasoning mix that's sold just up the road from me; I was happy to oblige.
And what a wonderful pay-back we got for that! Lunch, tour guides,
a sense of security that "we have friends over here!" so we felt more
comfortable traveling over there. And chocolate. And lebkuchen!!!
In the RCTQ Secret Swap we're doing now (thanks, Larisa!) we have lists of
what our pals want and w/ the overseas group we can send what they
miss/want/can't find at home. Easily.

So, anyway, I'm sorry your experience w/ this company sucks.
You know I had only grief when dealing w/ Han-of-Pad online
(walk-in store was just fine and I met a "neighbor" from Tx
for the first time g), won't deal with them again, refused to even
accept their catalogs in the mail, because despite others citing
wonderful success dealing with them, as far as I'm concerned they suck
& I'm done w/ that. ;-D
This shipping charge against you is ridiculous. Maybe some stores
just don't want to put that much time & effort into shipping and make
the customer pay for their perceived inconvenience. Whatever,
sounds like you've been had. For those who like to keep lists
perhaps a list of feedback for who does good biz or not could be
added to the FAQs, like the eBay feedback. Your experience isn't
the same as everyone else's, but it's relevant and worth noting,
esp. for overseas shipping.

Better luck next time!

Ragmop/Sandy--sizzling in n.Tx.

The next time I get a whiff of any funny business or the refusal to
use methods I know exist, I will say the magic word. "No". "No thank
you, you can cancel my order". It's getting easier to say, the older
I get! And then if I really can't find it anywhere else, I'll ask my
RCTQ pals to help out.
By the way, one of the fabrics is flannel and the other is
seersucker. I didn't see any mention of this on the website, nor is
it mentioned on my printed order form. This just gets better and
better...

-- Jo in Scotland