Anyone building their own kilns?

Old April 26th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
Byrd

Default Anyone building their own kilns?

I am trying to get started doing some glass and pottery crafting. I am
having to do it on my own and with the aid of some books. I live 150 mi
from the nearest school with any similar art programs and probably couldn't
afford the tuition if it was next store, we're barely affording keeping the
daughter in.

I was interested in a large Bell style kiln but there's no way in hell I can
afford to buy one, unless maybe someone knows of a benefactor with deep
pockets who would take pity on 50 something, gimpy old man (chuckle). Has
anyone built their own and how hard is it?

I have ordered a book by Halem, there is supposed to be some good
information in it.

I need my kiln to be wheelchair friendly and was wanting to have two rolling
tables (also wheelchair accessible) so I could be loading / unloading one
while the other was firing. I was thinking about a convertible kiln, ie; a
3' x 6' x 2' but I had the idea to maybe section it so I could isolate half
of it for smaller firings. and also lower it down a little farther if I
don't need the depth/height.

I was given an 18" old (50's maybe) ceramic kiln that I would like to use
for some glass and pottery as well. It just basically a 3 position switch
which controls the 2 elements. I can't find any info on it. but I was
wondering what was available as far as kiln programmers are available.

I have 3 old dos and win98 machines and was wondering if anyone ever tried
to use a PC as a kiln controller? ...... and what else would be needed.
Are there any resources (websites, books, etc) that tackle this sort of
thing?

Thanks,
Byrd

Old April 27th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
Moonraker

"Byrd" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, Byrd...

Might I suggest you surf on over to www.warmglass.com and register there for
the forums? There is a pretty active newbies forum there and more than
6,000 members. You might find someone who lives nearby you and could tutor
you. Unless you have an insane desire to reinvent the wheel, you'll
probably spend as much money and a lot more time in building a kiln as you
would to buy a new one. You can buy controllers (or build your own) to run
the kiln you have now. What brand is it and what are the power requirements
and size (inside)?

While on the warmglass site, order the book by Brad Walker and (if you are
$$ able), order the book by Richard LaLonde. Those two books should get you
started. The LaLonde book has some drawings and plans for some big kilns
that you might adapt.

Old April 27th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
nJb

Byrd wrote:
[...]

A PC is not reliable for controlling a kiln. An industrial grade
temperature controller with ramp/soak functions is what you need. Add a
solid state relay, a thermocouple, a mechanical contactor, and some wire
and you have a good controller. $300.

I built my own 3'x5'x1' bell kiln for $2200 including the controller.

http://tinyurl.com/29bdav

The best website for glass kiln working is www.warmglass.com

Good luck,

Jack

http://www.glasterpiece.com
Old May 9th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery

On Apr 26, 5:29 pm, nJb wrote:
Byrd wrote:
[...]

nJB, what you really mean is that a computer is incomplete. It's
perfectly suitable for controlling temperature change over time. You
just need the ancillary hardware you mention and some software. Which
is exactly what you get when you buy an off the shelf kiln computer.

Jack, I built my own electric kiln. Very different from what you're
interested in, but doubtless you'll still find some usefull
information. I diarized the entire project he http://www.m2crafts.ca/kiln.html
As for controlling it. I power pairs of serial wired elements with
infinite switches similar to electric range switches. The switches
have stops at seven intervals. I wrote myself a very simple computer
program that allows me to enter the current temperature of the kiln
and plots the change against a desired curve. It allows me to know
how/when to change the power to the elements. Since I'm unwilling to
leave the kiln alone for an entire firing I don't see the point in
having the computer do more than that.

Best regards,

Mark.

Old May 9th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
Mike Firth

Well, Mark, while I understand your desire to keep an eye on the kiln, if
you are doing anything moderately thick, it must be really boring and
interupting to your life to change the settings for annealling, that is
where most of the automation efforts in kiln or annealler activity have
gone, especially since, once you get over about 3/4 inch annealing takes
more than overnight.
Mike

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
"m" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old May 9th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

I can't say strongly enough what great fun that was seeing your site of
building the kiln! Wonderful job... I'm so envious of your talent. Donna

"m" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old May 10th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
nJb

m wrote:

nJB, what you really mean is that a computer is incomplete. It's
perfectly suitable for controlling temperature change over time. You
just need the ancillary hardware you mention and some software. Which
is exactly what you get when you buy an off the shelf kiln computer.

No, that's not at all what I mean. A controller is much more reliable
than a computer. Ever had your computer freeze up? Imagine that when you
have a 300lb bar top annealing. You can get a program to have your
computer give the program to the controller and then just monitor the
results. If the computer freezes, the controller still does it's job.

Jack, I built my own electric kiln. Very different from what you're
interested in, but doubtless you'll still find some usefull
information. I diarized the entire project he http://www.m2crafts.ca/kiln.html
As for controlling it. I power pairs of serial wired elements with
infinite switches similar to electric range switches. The switches
have stops at seven intervals. I wrote myself a very simple computer
program that allows me to enter the current temperature of the kiln
and plots the change against a desired curve. It allows me to know
how/when to change the power to the elements. Since I'm unwilling to
leave the kiln alone for an entire firing I don't see the point in
having the computer do more than that.

That will work for smaller items. It also provides a good education for
how glass behaves at certain temps.

Jack

Best regards,

Mark.

Old May 11th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Ackman

In , on Thu, 10 May 2007 16:45:44
-0600, nJb wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

If the computer freezes you're running Microsoft Windows[1] - stop it.
:-)

[1] or the computer's too close to the kiln - move it somewhere cool.

Do whatever you like. My firings are much to valuable to even consider
using a PC to control the kiln.

I've had PCs running hundreds of days without a
reboot. Of course, by PC, I mean an x86 machine, not
the common misuse of the term meaning a machine running
some flavor of Windows.

My computers are far more reliable than my present
electric company. We've had at least a half dozen power
outages since January already, ranging from half-second
blips to 23 hours... Computers: Not a single reboot
that wasn't a planned upgrade, or due to one of the
aforementioned blips (only 2 machines are on UPS) - the
other is at the mercy of the power company.

Anyone building their own kilns? Byrd Glass 27 May 15th 07 02:51 PM
kilns Romayne Naylor Glass 11 August 1st 05 07:09 AM
kilns mrbonaparte Glass 6 November 8th 04 05:45 PM
kilns Bonnie Glass 25 September 14th 04 12:13 AM
Kilns anyone? Marlene DeLugish Glass 18 December 16th 03 09:10 AM