What length circular needle to use

Old December 6th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BonnieBlue

Default What length circular needle to use

I have a scarf to knit up in a feather and fan pattern. The pattern
says to cast on 250+ stitches so I will be working across the length of
it. It says the finished scarf is 60 inches long. The pattern does
not suggest what length of circular needle to buy to work the scarf so
I am coming to the source of all wisdom. Should I purchase a 60"
needle or would 47" do it?

Thanks for your help!

BonnieBlue

Old December 6th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

You can cram a lot of stitches onto a circular needle. If you're
knitting flat and not circular you can go with a longer needle, so if
you're okay with a 60" needle go with that. I like shorter needles and
would go with the 47", but this is a personal preference.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

ups.com...

Old December 6th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

BonnieBlue wrote:
I have a scarf to knit up in a feather and fan pattern. The pattern
says to cast on 250+ stitches so I will be working across the length of
it. It says the finished scarf is 60 inches long. The pattern does
not suggest what length of circular needle to buy to work the scarf so
I am coming to the source of all wisdom. Should I purchase a 60"
needle or would 47" do it?

Thanks for your help!

BonnieBlue

A 47" will do fine - especially if you already have one, and can save
the cost of a new one.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old December 6th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

Unless you're using heavy yarn you can probably make do with a 32" or
a 36" needle. When I made my Jaggerspun shawl earlier this year I had
nearly 1k stitches on a 36" needle - but that yarn is fairly fine and
squashed well...

Old December 6th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

BonnieBlue wrote:
Thanks! I was hoping so.

Even a 32 or 36 inch one would do, but if you already have 47, that will
work fine. I'd think a 60" would be just too much needle and get in the
way, anyway.

sue

Old December 8th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I found out that one squeeze many stich on almost any circular , most
of my circulars aren`t that long in fact i have never measured them ,
i just buy them by ciircumference, i am not sure shops here keep all
kinds of lengths. if i dont have enough length i add a second circular
..
mirjam