Finally Finished!

Old December 6th 04, 02:11 AM
Louise

Default Finally Finished!

The NASCAR quilt is finished (I guess I really should call it the Earnhardt
quilt, but I've called it NASCAR for so long, it'd be hard to change now). I
put the binding on last week -- finished Monday night, but then we went on a
short trip and I just got around to taking the pictures tonight. That's one
present down -- now to do the rest of my shopping!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old December 6th 04, 03:29 AM
Polly Esther

Louise, while the joy and pain of your Earnhardt quilt are fresh in your
mind, could you bear to give me your "I wish I'ds" and "I wish I hadn't"
whatevers? For sure, my DH would really enjoy one while he's resting his
eyes (not the same thing as napping in his recliner). Before I begin, do
you have any suggestions? Polly

Old December 6th 04, 04:03 AM
Louise

I wish I hadn't found a tear in the white material in one of my star blocks!
But thanks to everyone's help here, I ended up cutting numbers from my
remaining fabric and appliquéing them in a couple of places to look like
they might actually belong!

If I were to do it over again, I might have used four different
"traditional" quilt blocks rather than just two repeated at the top and
bottom. Or, I might have used smaller blocks (I think mine are 12" and 15").
And I wish I'd have used a different backing. Mine was a tone-on-tone black,
and since I used white quilting thread, it really is obvious that my
stitches on the back aren't as even and nice as what's on the front!

I really can't think of anything else I wish I'd have done different, but
there were two things I really enjoyed about this one. First, the math. The
large panels were not perfect squares and were kind of unusual sizes
(something like 19.43" x 18.92"), and it was fun to figure out what sizes of
blocks, alternating fabrics, etc., I needed to make this all come together.

Second, I loved working with the variety of fabrics even though it was a
limited color palette. The only fabric that was used consistently throughout
was the white. I used something like 10 different red fabrics and 18 to 20
blacks and grays. It would have worked to use only one of each, but I think
it would have been really boring!

I'll think about it some more overnight, and if I think of any helpful hints
or other "I wish"s, I'll let you know.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

news

Old December 6th 04, 04:23 AM
Polly Esther

Thank you, Louise. I've loved your Earnhardt quilt from the first moment I
saw it, and just must make one. Please do give me your "after I sleep on it"
thoughts. Big hugs and thank you's. Polly

Old December 6th 04, 04:04 PM
Queen of Squishies

Dancing in the moonlight for ya, Louise!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
* We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar

Old December 6th 04, 08:01 PM
Sandy Foster

In article UkOsd.448291$wV.155778@attbi_s54,
"Louise" wrote:

The NASCAR quilt is finished (I guess I really should call it the Earnhardt
quilt, but I've called it NASCAR for so long, it'd be hard to change now). I
put the binding on last week -- finished Monday night, but then we went on a
short trip and I just got around to taking the pictures tonight. That's one
present down -- now to do the rest of my shopping!

Louise, it's great! I have no doubt at all that any Earnhardt fan would
love this one!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old December 7th 04, 12:35 AM
Louise

I'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks! I've definitely decided that if
he doesn't like it, I'll be happy to keep it!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com