Ping John re chairs

Old September 5th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Skinny quilter chairs

On Sep 5, 4:36*pm, "Taria" wrote:
You better watch that one of those extra large women don't run you over
john. *LOL
We went to John Wayne airport maybe 5 years ago to pick someone
up. *DH noted that everyone in the place had jeans on. *He started buying
not-blue jeans for awhile. *I don't think there is much of anywhere you
can go anymore where most of the folks don't have blue denim on, and
the sizes grow just like the people do.
I've never been called skinny in my life but not extra large either. *My
nervous energy burns a lot of calories I guess.
Taria"John" wrote in message

Once years ago I took Mother with me to Paducah. After spending a day
around quilters she said, "You all look alike." Indeed, looking around
the room the majority of us were wearing denim skirts or pants with
either a patchwork vest or decorated sweatshirt jacket. Most were
wearing an extra large size but a few were more likely 2X. Hair color
and styles varied but required little maintenance. Shoes were
practical.

Glad somebody else said the above. If I had mentioned any of that, it
would have precipitated a feminist flame war.

John

We have some friends who live in the British Isles. They laughingly
describe Americans as "Those people who get off the tour bus, the men
wearing leisure suits, and the women wearing pants with an x-large
blouse hanging outside the pants to hide the girth", and asking,
"which way to the Castle?" I got a kick out of that description, as It
often did seem that way.

John
Old September 6th 09, 06:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message
,
John writes
Taria"John" wrote in message

[...]

I wonder what castle that might be.
I have a castle about one mile away from me.

Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old September 6th 09, 11:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 6, 1:39*am, Shirley Shone
wrote:
In message
,
John writes

Taria"John" wrote in message

[...]

They live in Aberystwyth, Dyfed. He was a professor there at the
university. As I remember, there is not much of a castle, mostly
ruined.

John

Old September 6th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
John wrote:

Once years ago I took Mother with me to Paducah. After spending a day
around quilters she said, "You all look alike." Indeed, looking around
the room the majority of us were wearing denim skirts or pants with
either a patchwork vest or decorated sweatshirt jacket. Most were
wearing an extra large size but a few were more likely 2X. Hair color
and styles varied but required little maintenance. Shoes were
practical.

Glad somebody else said the above. If I had mentioned any of that, it
would have precipitated a feminist flame war.

John

DH says much the same thing -- he can't believe how many quilters are
"fluffy". Of course, I remind him that many of the fellows who hang out
at the sports book to watch the games are equally well-padded.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 6th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

Anybody up for a thread of links to photos of ourselves- for 'correcting'
those mental images we have of each other?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I'm with you, Leslie -- I would love to update my mental images! G

Old September 6th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 6, 9:48*am, Sandy wrote:
In article
,

*John wrote:

Once years ago I took Mother with me to Paducah. After spending a day
around quilters she said, "You all look alike." Indeed, looking around
the room the majority of us were wearing denim skirts or pants with
either a patchwork vest or decorated sweatshirt jacket. Most were
wearing an extra large size but a few were more likely 2X. Hair color
and styles varied but required little maintenance. Shoes were
practical.

Glad somebody else said the above. If I had mentioned any of that, it
would have precipitated a feminist flame war.

John

DH says much the same thing -- he can't believe how many quilters are
"fluffy". Of course, I remind him that many of the fellows who hang out
at the sports book to watch the games are equally well-padded.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)http://www.sandymike.net

In looking around the midwest I have noticed that the locals, both men
and women, have a larger amount of, shall we say, presence, than was
showing out in California. I always figured it was the indoor winter
months, spent eating and not getting as much exercise, that caused the
lack of "Girth Control". California seemed to be more obsessed with
appearances, than back here, also. With the more temperate climate,
people could get out and engage in sports and recreational activities,
to a greater degree, than back here. The other thing that I have
noticed, is the much higher incidence of Diabetes, here in the
midwest. I think that is another byproduct of the ever expanding
waistlines, and eating choices.

John
Old September 6th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

John, yesterday Russ and I saw outside a local grocery store sharing
lunch and people watching. He made the comment that there are
significantly more "big" people than when we moved her 10 years ago. I
agree. Now, I've put on a bit of poundage in the last 10 years. In my
defense, I'm taking four medications every day that each have
"significant weight gain" as a side effect (more butt effect for me).
But Russ was talking about really large people -- those who appear to
be on the verge of serious illness because of their weight. I'm
assuming some of them are also taking medications that cause weight
gain. And we all know the insidious nature of weight gain -- gain
weight, makes it harder to get out and move, sit around, eat more from
depression over how you look, gain more weight. But I think what we
were seeing is what's happening all over the country. And it cuts
across ethnic, gender, class lines. More people are seriously, scarily
over weight than just 10 years ago. Why is that? Are the food
companies sneaking high fructose corn syrup into our broccoli?

Sunny
with my own expanded waistline and poor eating choices.
Old September 6th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DEM

Having worked in a nursing home, I don't have enough
room here to say all the things that being obessed has
done to them. So many health ailments all due to their
eating to much. Then add in those who had to h ave
knee replacement because of their weight. I could go
on and on. And look at our kids these days.

Another thing I discovered at work, is that all the women
who wore pointed shoes (high or not) now had
permanent toes that would not uncross. All their slippers
and other footware had to be cut to fit their feet.

One thing that will changed down the road at nursing
home/clients of caregivers/whatever....will be all those
who are young now and have so many tatoos. For some,
it will be hard to even find a place to give or draw blood.

My working days will be over by then.

Donna
in WA
who power talks just about everyday

Old September 7th 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Skinny anybody

I don't award myself any points for being skinny. I just am. But -
Mississippi is #1 in fat people and the state's health bureaucrat says it's
because we are poor and don't have access to healthy food.
@#$! Polly

"DEM" wrote Having worked in a nursing home, I don't have enough

Old September 7th 09, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

My dad remembers not a day as a kid in Florida that he didn't go hungry.
He worked from age 8. I wouldn't wish that on anyone but
he is going to be 85 in a couple of months and has led a pretty healthy
life. He probably wouldn't have been one of the kids that got fed free
breakfast and lunch at school and then tossed it. I bet many of the chubby
kids not only have a tv but cable also. Dad claims he never stole because
he was hungry. That was no excuse.
There is a difference in the caliber of character these days. It crosses
all socio-economic boundaries and pretty lacking all over the place.
Taria

ping John Bronnie[_2_] Quilting 1 July 16th 09 12:20 PM
ping John Bronnie[_2_] Quilting 0 July 16th 09 06:08 AM
OT ping JOHN Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 13 February 10th 08 02:00 PM
Ping John Kate T. Quilting 1 October 5th 07 07:40 PM
Ping: John Donna Aten Quilting 6 April 1st 07 09:23 PM