designing Muse

Old November 28th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default designing Muse

Somebody wrote that she would like to convert Drawings from a Bible
into xst. and she wondered about the Copyright laws.
You might of course ask the publishers permission, and work the
drawings as close to the original as possible . But you can also look
in length on those drawings and than decide to Make your own
`translation` of the story that the drawing shows.
Many fanous artists , lean on other art works to have a muse and cp
with their own version of the story/feeling ,,,
One of the most interesting books about Such Muse being helped by
Other persons` art ,,, is the book
Bild und Text Bei Thomas Mann, Eine Dokumentation, heraussgegeben von
Hans Wysling, unter mitarbeit von Yvonne Schmidlin, Francke Verlag
Bern, 1975.
This book shows , Thomas Mann`s Archive of picrures,photos, sketches,
etc,,, and his writings next to each , where he described using those
as basis for his Book writing.
mirjam
Old November 29th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Hello Mirjam,

Having an artistic "muse" sounds to be a fascinating
relationship...one that inspires an artist to do their best.
I guess a sort of childhood "muse" might be a parent, relative or
friend that encourages and supports creative aspirations.

My art professors always encouraged us students to keep our eyes and
minds open to ideas from EVERYWHERE. Inspiration can be found wherever
one looks and not just subjects to do with one's own field. An
artist's mind never "rests"...we're always "on" absorbing sights and
sounds around us.

Much inspiration comes from people watching, the decorations &
clothing they wear, especially among teens and young
adults....Japanese youth are well noted for their outragerous,
colorful get-ups, so well known that trend watchers keep an eye on
Japanese street wear and quite a few design books have been published
recently about the clothing and lifestyle of these young people.

Interior design, high fashion, low fashion, fine art to outsider art,
the artworks of the "untrained" or folk artists, picture books,
magazines, etc...even words can be goldmines of inspiration,
especially for me as interesting words, phrases will often conjure up
all sorts of graphic images.
Bottomline, everything and anything can inspire a new piece of art or
design.

Many artists / designers also have large libraries full of books for
research and inspiration.

Hallmark, the greeting card company is said to give their staff
artists sabbaticals to visit galleries and other venues to keep their
imagination working & inspired, learning new techniques and so on
which in turn helps an artist to grow and keep their artwork from
growing stale.

Designers and artists also look to their colleagues, admiring each
other's works.
For example, I might be inspired by another artist's cat
designs.....thinking about cats might inspire ideas of creating my own
cat figures either as natural cats or personified and dressed, flying
cats, walking cats, riding cats...further thought might lead to cat
associations such as cats & fish, cats & yarn, cat's & mice...these
ideas can lead to oceans, mermaids, wooly sheep...in fact, I created
an illustration for a canvas design titled Mrs Kitts Knits Mitts, an
old fashioned dressed cat knitting mittens!
The typical cat lapping a saucer of milk might bring out cows in a
buttercup field or even a whole new idea of cows & their adventures!

Good ideas always inspire more of the same!
---
Lula
www.woolydream.com

On Nov 28, 1:22 am, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Many fanous artists , lean on other art works to have a muse and cp
with their own version of the story/feeling ,,,
One of the most interesting books about Such Muse being helped by
Other persons` art ,,, is the book
Bild und Text Bei Thomas Mann, Eine Dokumentation, heraussgegeben von
Hans Wysling, unter mitarbeit von Yvonne Schmidlin, Francke Verlag
Bern, 1975.
This book shows , Thomas Mann`s Archive of picrures,photos, sketches,
etc,,, and his writings next to each , where he described using those
as basis for his Book writing.
mirjam

AD - New pattern at A Muse Ink Val Beads 1 July 20th 06 10:23 AM
AD - New A Muse Ink Pattern VManes Beads 1 June 20th 05 11:03 PM
AD - New patterns at A Muse Ink VManes Beads 3 April 30th 05 01:39 AM
Your Muse Stephanie Beads 36 September 21st 04 06:41 PM
AD: New Pattern at A Muse Ink VManes Beads 1 August 8th 03 07:20 PM