OFF TOPIC - pierced ears

Old November 26th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default OFF TOPIC - pierced ears

Walker Family wrote:

I think that is the center of the discussion - it is a semantics kind
of thing. ........snipped.......

My one reactionary addition to this part of the thread is to say
that, even tho' Mirjam **speaks** English as a second language -- and
quite well, I might add -- it appears that she is convinced that she
completely *understands* the subtleties of semantics and the exact
meaning of whatever is said by those who grew up speaking English as
their primary language. I will *never* understand why the native
English speaking people continue to argue with Mirjam about what they
meant when something was posted. IMNSHO, it's a futile and totally
hopeless endeavour! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old November 26th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Lucille wrote:
I have a different concern about tattoos. They look pretty on young,
smooth perfect bodies but what will they look like years from now. I always
have this vision in my head of a dead, droopy looking rose or a heart that
looks like it's bleeding because the body it's on is wrinkled.

I just saw a comic the other day, an elderly lady pointing to various
blotches on her arm "And that used to be a rose...."

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 10/21/07 - Floral Elegance Collection "Crocus"

WIP: The Teacher, Bethany Angel,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old November 26th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Lucille wrote:
I have a different concern about tattoos. They look pretty on young,
smooth perfect bodies but what will they look like years from now. I always
have this vision in my head of a dead, droopy looking rose or a heart that
looks like it's bleeding because the body it's on is wrinkled.

"Saturday Night Live" had a sketch about that awhile ago, and it was the
funniest one by far in a long, long, time.

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old November 26th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Heather in NY

snip
In my opinion, if my future daughter (should I have one) is old enough
to express an **earnest and sincere** desire to have them done...then
she is old enough for us to take her out and do it. If later she
doesn't like it, then she can simply stop wearing earrings.

snip

This is something I wanted to comment on. Not everyone's ears will
close over, so don't count on that working. I *HATE* having my ears
pierced. I have for as long as I can remember. My dad had them done
when I was 4. I've worn earings only a handful of times in the last
20 years, and they still haven't closed. I've gone more than 5 years
without putting anything in, and no luck. So I do recommend
waiting until the child at least truly *wants* to have them!

Heather
Old November 26th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Heather in NY wrote:

This is something I wanted to comment on. Not everyone's ears will
close over, so don't count on that working. I *HATE* having my ears
pierced. I have for as long as I can remember. My dad had them done
when I was 4. I've worn earings only a handful of times in the last
20 years, and they still haven't closed. I've gone more than 5 years
without putting anything in, and no luck. So I do recommend
waiting until the child at least truly *wants* to have them!

You can have them surgically closed if you wish. See a plastic surgeon.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old November 26th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Why Tia Mary if you want to compliment me on having more than one
language , why not count the right number ,,, English is my Third
language among 4 ,,,,
mirjam

Old November 26th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
flitterbit

Heather in NY wrote:
snip
In my opinion, if my future daughter (should I have one) is old enough
to express an **earnest and sincere** desire to have them done...then
she is old enough for us to take her out and do it. If later she
doesn't like it, then she can simply stop wearing earrings.

snip

This is something I wanted to comment on. Not everyone's ears will
close over, so don't count on that working. I *HATE* having my ears
pierced. I have for as long as I can remember. My dad had them done
when I was 4. I've worn earings only a handful of times in the last
20 years, and they still haven't closed. I've gone more than 5 years
without putting anything in, and no luck. So I do recommend
waiting until the child at least truly *wants* to have them!

Heather

Once the holes have been kept open for several months and the tissue has
healed, the holes won't close.

I chose to have my ears pierced at age 12, but haven't been able to wear
any kind of earrings since about age 26; seems something about my body
chemistry changed and I develop an allergic reaction to any earrings I
try to wear, be they 24K gold, surgical steel or anything else. I gave
up trying years ago; I'm 52 now, and the holes are still there.
Old November 26th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

flitterbit wrote:
Heather in NY wrote:

Once the holes have been kept open for several months and the tissue has
healed, the holes won't close.

I chose to have my ears pierced at age 12, but haven't been able to wear
any kind of earrings since about age 26; seems something about my body
chemistry changed and I develop an allergic reaction to any earrings I
try to wear, be they 24K gold, surgical steel or anything else. I gave
up trying years ago; I'm 52 now, and the holes are still there.

You remind me of my new daughter-in-law. Ayako is allergic to most
metals. Their wedding rings are platinum, but even then she will break
out in a rash. It gets a bit expensive buying jewelry for her..... but
she is worth it! I am glad that DD and DGD and I can all wear the cheapo
stuff.

Gillian
Old November 27th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Evelyn M

My daughter got her ears pierced not long ago. I waited until she asked to
go and was ready to walk into the store and ask for them to do it. She was
11 years old. I took her and some friends to the mall and she had it done.
It did hurt a little and she had to put in the ear anticeptic on it for a
little while afterwords which she did herself. If she had wanted to do it
when she was younger I'd have let her.

My brother and his wife had their daughters ears pierced when they were
babies but I wouldn't do that. I waited until my daughter wanted to get it
herself. Depending on the kid, I think 9 is OK.

-Evelyn

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
at what age would you/ did you let your daughter get her ears pierce.

DD is just nine and has been campaigning for a year for them.

I got mine done when I was 18 and could it with out a parents signature.
My
Dad thought only "bad girls" had pierced ears (this was 30 years ago).

Old November 27th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

flitterbit wrote:

Heather in NY wrote:
Betsey wrote
In my opinion, if my future daughter (should I have one) is old enough
to express an **earnest and sincere** desire to have them done...then
she is old enough for us to take her out and do it. If later she
doesn't like it, then she can simply stop wearing earrings.

snip

This is something I wanted to comment on. Not everyone's ears will
close over, so don't count on that working.
Heather

Once the holes have been kept open for several months and the tissue has
healed, the holes won't close.

Depends. Mine start to close up if I leave earrings out for more than
about 36 hours. The second holes in both ears are gone -- there's not
even a scar showing anymore (there's still some scar tissue inside the
earlobe, but the skin is healed completely).

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Poppies (Art-Stitch), two knitted tops, Oriental Butterfly