Ojos de Dios book

Old May 25th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
David R. Sky

Default Ojos de Dios book

To the person asking about the Ojos de Dios book:

You could help yourself _a lot_ by being _specific_ in your
request! This would help us help you! -

1. What's the title of the book?

2. Who's the author?

3. Who published it, and when?

You mentioned that you saw the book on a website. So,

4. What's the website URL?

Amazon not only sells books - they are a great resource for
information. So,

5. Did you type in the title, key words or author's name into the
appropriate search fields?

6. What results did you get?

VP gave you the URL of an 8-sided ojos de dios website. So,

7. Did you go there?

8. Did you follow the instructions?

9. What results did you get?

All of your posts to this group so far have been very
_nonspecific_. Which said to me that you wanted us to read your
mind. Which in turn suggested to me that you were behaving in a
lazy and demanding manner. And from some of the _mild_ responses I
saw to your posts, I assume some other people felt this way too.

perhaps this is an opportunity for your learning that at least one
other person mentioned?

Good luck.

David

--
David R. Sky
http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/

Old May 25th 07, 08:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

David R. Sky wrote:
To the person asking about the Ojos de Dios book:

You could help yourself _a lot_ by being _specific_ in your
request! This would help us help you! -

1. What's the title of the book?

Oh, good. Maybe he will answer you. I asked twice and got no answer.
Old May 25th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
TimGalisin88

On May 25, 3:37 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
David R. Sky wrote:
To the person asking about the Ojos de Dios book:

You could help yourself _a lot_ by being _specific_ in your
request! This would help us help you! -

1. What's the title of the book?

Oh, good. Maybe he will answer you. I asked twice and got no answer.

Hello.....

Who asked twice and get no reply.....

I'll say this without putting any hopes on it....I do not mind any
author of any book.
You cannot expect anyone to answer you in a manner that you suggest as
I myself don't know who is the author,or whatever information is on
it.
(my apologies to raise my voice in this message)

And yes,I did go to the 8-sided ojo website.I'm satisfied by it's
information but still wanted to know more as I don't think that's the
only thing there.
This is where I heard about the existence of a book on Ojos de Dios
but I do not know who is the author of the book.I know just like that
only.

Any Ojos de Dios book will do for me as long as the book does not
contain any defects,used or not,still in good condition.

I'm not lazy, just didn't give enough information.I'm not
demanding,just that my words can sound demanding to anyone.
I said mild things and and controlled words to be on the safe side and
not offend anybody.

That's all I can say.If you'll still insisted that I should produce
such bio about the book...then later on I'll provide such information
for anyone's reference.

Thanks and have a nice week.

With humility and peace,
Timothy G. of Sabah,Malaysia.

Old May 25th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

TimGalisin88 wrote:

This is where I heard about the existence of a book on Ojos de Dios
but I do not know who is the author of the book.I know just like that
only.

I see. This must be a communication barrier, then. You said you had
seen a book on Amazon but could not afford to buy it. So naturally, we
want to know what book you are talking about.

If you have your own funds, you might be able to purchase a book from
www.abebooks.com, where I have found loads of really interesting books
for $1.

But (since I checked your background just out of curiosity, found a
picture of you on friendster.com and think you are a rather handsome
guy, BTW -- don't worry, you are younger than three of my four children,
so don't think I am trying to flirt or anything) it seems like this is
not the first group you have come to and asked for handouts for craft
goodies. Has this method worked for you before? Maybe you would make
more progress and alienate fewer people if you focused your efforts on
finding things you can research and pursue without being dependent upon
handouts from others.

Now, you didn't ask for this, but because of what I read that you had
said elsewhere, I am going to make a suggestion. One thing I could
suggest to you because of what you is learning to spin your own yarn and
either knit it or weave it into various textiles. You undoubtedly have
many different types of fibers, both animal and vegetable, in your
region, a hand spindle is very easy to make, Knitting needles are cheap
and also possible to make yourself if you have no funds. Maybe you
could also manage to construct a loom of some sorts. And most
importantly, there is no shortage of free information and support groups
on the web for both spinning and knitting, so you would not constantly
be asking for handouts, and there are many people who spend a lifetime
developing their skill at this. (You could also eventually try to sell
handmade items on Ebay if you reach a point where you would be allowed
to do this.)

Most Americans get tired of people who constantly ask for handouts.
That is not slander, it is just that begging is not socially acceptable
in this country, as opposed to other countries where there is no means
for an unemployable person to find a means of support.
Old May 25th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Tim,

You obviously really want to expand your knowledge of making these
objects. I think it is probably true as well, that you're unlikely to
find someone who will lend or give you a book on this without knowing
you. But you DO have access to the internet and there is all kind of
information available. Why don't you try to make the 8 sided ojo in
the link Vintage Purl provided? After that, why not try a 12 sided
one. There is a picture on that same site of one, and somewhere in
there are directions for it as well.

Part of the joy of developing a craft is researching it with the
information that IS available to you, and experimenting with the
materials. I personally have learned a great deal about knitting,
gardening, cooking, and many other of my interests by searching the
net. I have a lot of experience with making things, and one thing I
know for sure is: The only way to improve your skills and learn is by
doing.

Hesira

Old May 26th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
willi

Tim...

What a sad world this is...I'm sorry that your (what I perceived to
be) innocent foray into online generosity has obviously become a less
than stellar success.

But, keep your good heart...don't be dismayed. I'm sure not everyone
feels the same. I know I don't.

I hadn't even heard of the craft that you brought up initially...so
I've learned something. If I had such a book I would gladly lend it
to you. If you could find out the name of a book you are interested
in, perhaps that would help.

Old May 26th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

willi wrote:

I hadn't even heard of the craft that you brought up initially...so
I've learned something. If I had such a book I would gladly lend it
to you. If you could find out the name of a book you are interested
in, perhaps that would help.

And you're going to send it to Malaysia?
Old May 26th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
willi wrote:

I hadn't even heard of the craft that you brought up initially...so
I've learned something. If I had such a book I would gladly lend it
to you. If you could find out the name of a book you are interested
in, perhaps that would help.

And you're going to send it to Malaysia?

I don't know if willi would, but if I had some extra money to buy the book
(if I knew which book), I would send it as a gift to Timothy. It doesn't
hurt to help our fellow beings when we can, and it makes me feel good inside
when I can manage to help someone else. I do understand how some people
took his request as asking for a handout, but it is possible that he
genuinely meant to *borrow* the book and would return it when he has learned
his craft well enough to do it without the book in front of him. I have met
other people online who seem like they are asking, or even sometimes come
across like they are demanding something.. when in fact it comes across that
way simply because Englsih is their second language and it is difficult for
them to get their point across in a way that we who speak English fluently
would understand.

Yes, it is true that there are patterns for these Ojos de Dios (I wasn't
sure what that was until I went searching and discovered that it is also
known as Eye of God, which I had heard of before but never tried. I may
decide to make one of the simpler ones sometime this summer now that I have
the pattern in front of me.), but when I went searching there are more
pictures than actual patterns for anything different from the diamond-shaped
ones that he already knows how to do. I did see the pattern for an
eight-sided (?) one that someone else posted the url for, but that's it...
so more searching on the internet isn't going to find any more patterns on
larger scales, unfortunately.

I have also seen requests for knitting/crocheting patterns here on rcty,
that when I have gone searching google I have come up with a *lot* of
patterns for. Sometimes it isn't because the person requesting is too lazy
to search... sometimes they just feel lost on search engines... it is a
rather big place and can become a bit overwhelming sometimes.

I just finished searching for a free pattern for a knitted/crocheted
(preferrably crocheted) Stow-Away Shopping Bag, but to no avail... and I
thought that would be a really easy pattern to find online. I am (modestly)
pretty good at finding things on search engines, but that one has me
stumped... so I understand how trying to find something that is well hidden
from the public is frustrating.

In any case, I do hope Timothy finds what he is looking for.

*hugs*
Gemini

Old May 26th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Not Likely wrote:

I don't know if willi would, but if I had some extra money to buy the book
(if I knew which book), I would send it as a gift to Timothy. It doesn't
hurt to help our fellow beings when we can, and it makes me feel good inside
when I can manage to help someone else.

I take it you have never been burned doing so? I have, and therefore I
am more cautious about total strangers who ask for handouts (especially
when they do it more than once) and tend to take my previously-stated,
"teach them to fish, maybe give them a little bit of bait to get them
off to a good start so they know what they need, but don't give them any
fish" approach to people who ask for help.

Must be my northeastern sense of self-sufficiency, though.