Learning to knit help

Old April 29th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Learning to knit help

Hello everyone. I don't usually hang out here. I hang out at RCTQuilting
and even there I mainly read. I am trying to learn how to knit and knew
that this would be the perfect place to get the help I need.

I hope I can explain my problem well enough for you to understand it and
perhaps be able to help me with it. So far I have only learned how to cast
on and do the knit stitch. I have the stitch steps down, and I don't think
I'm doing too bad at them. The trouble I'm having is the stitches I'm
working off (that the right terminology?) get larger once worked off as I go
across the row. (I can take a picture of it if needed to clarify what I'm
referring to). How do I get rid of this? Is it something I'm doing/not
doing, or is it something that will go away with more practice? When I
continue on to do additional rows past the 1st it just gets worse.

TIA for any help/tips you are able to give!
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old April 29th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Charlotte Hippen wrote:
Hello everyone. I don't usually hang out here. I hang out at RCTQuilting
and even there I mainly read. I am trying to learn how to knit and knew
that this would be the perfect place to get the help I need.

I hope I can explain my problem well enough for you to understand it and
perhaps be able to help me with it. So far I have only learned how to cast
on and do the knit stitch. I have the stitch steps down, and I don't think
I'm doing too bad at them. The trouble I'm having is the stitches I'm
working off (that the right terminology?) get larger once worked off as I go
across the row. (I can take a picture of it if needed to clarify what I'm
referring to). How do I get rid of this? Is it something I'm doing/not
doing, or is it something that will go away with more practice? When I
continue on to do additional rows past the 1st it just gets worse.

It sounds like your tension on the yarn is too loose. You'll have to
figure out a way to wrap it around your fingers to tighten up, or do a
slight tug on the yarn after you complete each stitch. Just keep
practicing and you'll get the hang of it.

sue
Old April 29th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks for the reply Sue.

I did think of tension, and although it still may be the problem I don't
think so. When I start the row my stitches I casted on are all fairly tight
around the needle and all evenly sized. The new stitches I make as I do my
1st row are also fairly tight to the needle and aside from the problems with
the stitches being worked of they are all fairly even as well. Is there
something I'm missing with my tension?

Old April 29th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Charlotte Hippen wrote:
Thanks for the reply Sue.

I did think of tension, and although it still may be the problem I don't
think so. When I start the row my stitches I casted on are all fairly tight
around the needle and all evenly sized. The new stitches I make as I do my
1st row are also fairly tight to the needle and aside from the problems with
the stitches being worked of they are all fairly even as well. Is there
something I'm missing with my tension?

Relax!!! It is very possible that you are casting on too tightly. Most
of us do. In fact, I always cast on with a needle two sizes larger than
those I am going to use in the project. What happens with many people,
especially beginners, is that they sit down, all tensed up, determined
to master this. The cast on row is thus too tight, the first knit row
is also too tight, then with subsequent rows the knitter thinks "Aha,
I've got this down", relaxes, and so do the stitches, thus they come out
larger. Just keep on making sample swatches for a while (6" or 8"
square is a good size) and you will soon get the hang of it.

Keep on coming back to play with us, we'll be happy to help wherever we can.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old April 29th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Charlotte Hippen wrote:
Thanks for the reply Sue.

I did think of tension, and although it still may be the problem I don't
think so. When I start the row my stitches I casted on are all fairly tight
around the needle and all evenly sized. The new stitches I make as I do my
1st row are also fairly tight to the needle and aside from the problems with
the stitches being worked of they are all fairly even as well. Is there
something I'm missing with my tension?

Perhaps as Olwyn Mary says, your cast on is too tight. Either loosen
that up, or use a needle a couple sizes larger (if you have one).

sue
Old April 29th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks Olwyn Mary.

I only have about 2 or 3 matching sets of needles as mine are currently
hand-me-downs from DH's Grandmother. I was waiting to see if I got a better
hang of things before I started investing in supplies. Perhaps I'll have to
just for go that and get a few of my own needles the next time I'm at the
store. I guess in the mean time I need to Keep working at it.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

om...

Old April 29th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks Sue.

I didn't think of being too tight. I thought I was being too loose so maybe
I'm making it worse by trying so hard to keep things tight. I'll try to
loosen up and when I get a chance to get to the store I'll get some larger
needles. I usually pick new things up fairly fast so knitting is
frustrating me. I've tried to learn it a couple of times and wasn't liking
the way it was going so I quit. I guess I need to be more patient, relax
and just realize this one is going to take some time and practice to get the
hang of.

Thanks for the help.

Old April 29th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Charlotte Hippen wrote:
Thanks Sue.

I didn't think of being too tight. I thought I was being too loose so maybe
I'm making it worse by trying so hard to keep things tight. I'll try to
loosen up and when I get a chance to get to the store I'll get some larger
needles. I usually pick new things up fairly fast so knitting is
frustrating me. I've tried to learn it a couple of times and wasn't liking
the way it was going so I quit. I guess I need to be more patient, relax
and just realize this one is going to take some time and practice to get the
hang of.

Thanks for the help.

And perhaps the store has a drop in and work on your knitting time where
someone more experienced can take a look at your work or watch you knit
and advise you.

sue
Old April 30th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Charlotte!

I also usually hang out on rctq and knit as well, although I
am mostly a lurker here LOL. I was just wondering -

If you are just practising, what yarn and needles are you
using?

If your needle size is not "appropriate" for the yarn you
are using this could be aggravating you problems. For
instance, working with with 5 ply yarn and size 6 (5mm)
needles would produce loops and lose stitches.

--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Charlotte Hippen" wrote in message
: Thanks Olwyn Mary.
:
: I only have about 2 or 3 matching sets of needles as mine
are currently
: hand-me-downs from DH's Grandmother. I was waiting to see
if I got a better
: hang of things before I started investing in supplies.
Perhaps I'll have to
: just for go that and get a few of my own needles the next
time I'm at the
: store. I guess in the mean time I need to Keep working at
it.
:
:
: --
: Charlotte
: http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108
:
:
: "Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
: om...
[...]
: *** Posted via a free Usenet account from
http://www.teranews.com ***
:
:

Old April 30th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , suzee wrote:

Charlotte Hippen wrote:
Thanks for the reply Sue.

I did think of tension, and although it still may be the problem I don't
think so. When I start the row my stitches I casted on are all fairly

tight
around the needle and all evenly sized. The new stitches I make as I do my
1st row are also fairly tight to the needle and aside from the

problems with
the stitches being worked of they are all fairly even as well. Is there
something I'm missing with my tension?

Perhaps as Olwyn Mary says, your cast on is too tight. Either loosen
that up, or use a needle a couple sizes larger (if you have one).

sue

Or use two knitting needles together, take one out when you start to
knit. Whatever you do do not give up but keep on trying

Els