Spelling OT

Old October 26th 05, 09:33 PM
WitchyStitcher

Default Spelling OT

Lots actually, too many to post here. I teach both the current-trend,
balanced literacy - workshop model, shared reading, guided reading
models. I also teach a strong phonics-based, developmental reading
class. The long and short of it is that most students will learn to
read no matter what method is used in what a former professor termed
the "school of 'what's happening now'". However, some students - about
25% will learn to become fluent readers only with direct instruction
in phonics and word structure. Contrary to popular opinion, much of
the English language does follow some type of rule. A bit more that
half of all words are fully decodable. Of the 50% what are not fully
decodable, another 85% follow an either/or rule. Of the remaining 15%,
all but 5% follow an either/or/or rule. The remaining words are
non-decodable and must be taught as sight words. Many of these are
high-frequency words. Combine the teaching of phonics, syllablication,
and structural analysis with the 1000 most common words and you have
the makings of a fluent reader.

Off my soapbox.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:46:19 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

I've seen this before and I think it is fascinating. I had a discussion a
few years back with a friend who was bemoaning the fact that kids are not
taught to read phonetically any more. She was of the opinion that phonics
gives a better basis for learning. I really had no opinion one way or the
other. I was taught to read phonetically back in the early 60's, but I have
no trouble reading a paragraph such as this.

Old October 26th 05, 09:44 PM
Butterfly

Dear Pt, I ahte to ay tihs but your spel cecker has gone on vacation again.

Butterfly (sed my finers only wokr on my good dazz--whzts your excus)

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Tahkns a mliloin, Mray!
Fnuny!
Pat in Vriingia

Mary in Washington wrote:

Thought I would put this on since there was a thread about spelling a
while back. It is really interesting.

Only smart people can read this....
Olny srmat poelpe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and
I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Old October 26th 05, 10:58 PM
CNY/VAstitcher

i count 6 "f"s

WitchyStitcher wrote:
Gee, and I thought it was only because I 'm a special ed teacher.

Actually, a good reader predicts and fills in, and that is why you can
read it. A poor reader reads word-by-word with a great deal of effort
going into the reading, and would not be able to read it. A while ago,
a passage with the "count the instances of the letter "f" Most people
can't do it because their minds don't process the word "OF" unless it
contributes significantly to meaning.

FINISHED FILES ARE THE
RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC
STUDY COMBINED WITH THE
EXPERIENCE OF YEARS

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old October 26th 05, 11:09 PM
WitchyStitcher

6 is correct - most people on their first reading only count 3 or 4

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:58:09 -0400, CNY/VAstitcher
wrote:

i count 6 "f"s

Old October 26th 05, 11:09 PM
teleflora

"WitchyStitcher" wrote in message
Lots actually, too many to post here. I teach both the current-trend,
balanced literacy - workshop model, shared reading, guided reading
models. I also teach a strong phonics-based, developmental reading
class. The long and short of it is that most students will learn to
read no matter what method is used in what a former professor termed
the "school of 'what's happening now'". However, some students - about
25% will learn to become fluent readers only with direct instruction
in phonics and word structure.

Yes, and I think that is what my friend was talking about. Both she and her
son were mildly dyslexic. She thought his problems in reading could have
been addressed with phonics, but his school did not teach reading this way.
She worked with him and he ultimately did well, but there was a few years
when it was a real struggle.

Cindy

Old October 26th 05, 11:10 PM
teleflora

"Patti" wrote in message
Well ... You've had a bit of reading practice since then g

Boy, that's no kidding!

Cindy

Old October 27th 05, 08:43 AM
Hanne Gottliebsen

How curious - I got 4, missing the first two OFs, but getting the last one.

Hanne in London

WitchyStitcher wrote:
6 is correct - most people on their first reading only count 3 or 4

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:58:09 -0400, CNY/VAstitcher
wrote:

i count 6 "f"s

Old October 27th 05, 09:17 AM
Kate Dicey

Mary in Washington wrote:

Thought I would put this on since there was a thread about spelling a
while back. It is really interesting.

Only smart people can read this....
Olny srmat poelpe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and
I awlyas tghuhot
slpeling was ipmorantt!

I've seen this before... Without the spell checker, mine's much worse!
Dyslexia has its compensations.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 27th 05, 09:27 AM
FiederEls

"teleflora" schreef in bericht

"Mary in Washington" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Any thoughts?

Oh yes PLENTY.. and you would not believe half of them.... Oh uh... wait..
you mean Any thoughts about this topic??? oops sorry......

FiederEls

Cindy