this newsgroup

Old October 24th 05, 01:43 PM
Julia Altshuler

Default this newsgroup

I don't know when I've cried so hard as I did when I read my email last
night. I'm probably just being too sensitive with everything that's
going on in my life right now. You don't know me so I'll explain
something: I am not sarcastic and rude. I am not a mushroom who
belongs in a dark place covered with manure. I THOUGHT it would be O.K.
to stand up for people who had pictures of their quilts published on the
web without their permission and without even having their work
attributed to them with their names, but maybe I was wrong. I THOUGHT
it would be O.K. to make a quick reminder of the official rules that are
in the show program and other places, but maybe I was wrong. I quit
this group a while ago because I couldn't stand the way people interact
here and only got back on when I wanted to make a nice quilt for someone
who was hit hard by hurricane Katrina, but I think I should stop posting
now.

--Lia

Old October 24th 05, 05:16 PM
Roberta Zollner

Please don't leave, Lia, we'd miss your intelligent analyses and wide
quilting experience!

This is a case of both sides being right from their own point of view. You
were correct about the copyright issues and correctly defended the rights of
people who depend on copyright to make a living. Tina was also correct in
her joy and enthusiasm and desire to show us the wonders on view in Houston.
You might both have been a little gentler with each other, but the hurt
feelings on both sides would not have happened, probably, if we'd all been
in the same room together, face to face.
Roberta in D

Old October 24th 05, 05:20 PM
Marcella Peek

It was ok. You were pointing out a policy - as many did - because you
are a good person.

Yes, some people encourage dishonesty - and copyright infringement is
dishonest and even illegal. It's a shame.

I'm sorry you got your feeling hurt and received some hurtful messages.

marcella

Old October 24th 05, 05:48 PM
teleflora

You're not a victim here, Julia. You started it. You hurt Tina's feelings
and even AFTER you knew you hurt Tina's feelings, you did nothing to make
the situation better.

You could have slapped her hand privately, but you chose to do it in public.
There was no, "Hey, Tina, I know you are excited but darlin, you really
should get the names of the people who made those beautiful quilts before
you put their pictures up". Or even, "let's not forget that some people
don't want pictures of their creations posted for all the world to see". I
find it odd that I saw pictures of beautiful quilts and you saw copywrite
infringement.

You chose not to go the friendly, gentle route. You don't get to whine now
that people have been mean to you.

For such a large and diverse population, this group surely has less
bickering than any other group I've been associated with. I think having a
love of an artform like we do, transcends most silliness we might otherwise
engage in.

Sometimes, some of us try to be funny and it comes across as sarcasm. Mea
culpa. But I try to be quick to appoligize.

Anyway. That's all I've got to say.
Cindy

Old October 24th 05, 05:54 PM
Sally Swindells

This is the real problem isn't it - we are not in the same room and
cannot hear the tone of voice. Therefore when we start or reply to a
thread we should stop and think 'This person only knows my name - she
doesn't know who I am, how I am speaking, and I don't know how she is
hearing, or what her tone of voice is'. Then stop, re-read the post
three times and think four times before sending.

The personal unkind remarks that have crept in are unnecessary and
hurtful - someone didn't think before posting.

But....

Please, now can we put the matter to bed and move back to the quilting
frame.
Hugs
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

..On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:16:01 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"

Old October 24th 05, 06:25 PM
the black rose

teleflora wrote:
You're not a victim here, Julia. You started it. You hurt Tina's feelings
and even AFTER you knew you hurt Tina's feelings, you did nothing to make
the situation better.

You could have slapped her hand privately, but you chose to do it in public.
There was no, "Hey, Tina, I know you are excited but darlin, you really
should get the names of the people who made those beautiful quilts before
you put their pictures up". Or even, "let's not forget that some people
don't want pictures of their creations posted for all the world to see". I
find it odd that I saw pictures of beautiful quilts and you saw copywrite
infringement.

You chose not to go the friendly, gentle route. You don't get to whine now
that people have been mean to you.

I'm still waiting for the apology for the ghastly, breathtakingly
heartless remarks Lia made in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old October 24th 05, 08:19 PM
Don/Gen

I totally agree with both of you. Matter of fact, I was going to answer
Julia's post with the same statement Black Rose made. Julia was so horrible
about saying people had nothing to complain about from a little hurricane in
comparison to Indonesia's problems. I never saw an apology either. I've
often wondered what she thinks now after the total devastation in the South.
Maybe she doesn't think she comes across the way most take her-very hurtful.
Gen

Old October 24th 05, 10:12 PM
Sewingsue

Exactly, Sally. Always a danger on newsgroups and e-mails.

I once had an e-mail from an old friend and had to read it several times
trying to hear his tone of voice because my first reading seemed much more
unkind that I knew he could have meant.

Not possible when we can only read the words not the tone.
--
Sewingsue in Scotland
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cra...olar/my_photos

Old October 25th 05, 12:29 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

They wouldn't allow cameras into the quilt show unless it was okay to take
pictures of the quilts. Most of these quilts have already been photographed
and shown in some of the most popular quilt magazines that sell the photos
in print. Sorry your feelings were hurt but the person you chastised was
hurt also. I hate to see your go from the group and definitely feel you are
over reacting but that is your choice. Only you can decide whether you go
or stay - I hope you reconsider.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"